Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

348 last vs U last

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by raumil, Aug 25, 2009.

1. raumil

raumil Active Member

I am looking for somebody that owns shoes in these two lasts (Crockett & Jones 348, and Vass shoes U last) to see if you can post pics with the shoes standing side by side. I just want to compare profile, width and overall length. Thank you.

2. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I'd be interested in this comparison as well.

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

348 on left, Us on the right.

[​IMG][​IMG]

- B

4. glowell222

glowell222 Senior member

I have both. The 348 is a longer last, maybe a half size longer than the U, and a little bit wider. It can look pointy, for sure.

The U last fits almost true to size and fits my foot more "correctly", I suppose. It's definitely more narrow than the the 348, but not uncomfortably so.

Hope this helps.

5. raumil

raumil Active Member

Thank you guys.

Mr. Glowell222 if you ever get any free time and can post a pic that will be great, thank you.

I live in Orlando FL and there are no stores here that I can go and try these shoes, I don't have time to travel to NY or Budapest right now so I have to do my research online to decide. So any personal pics will be most welcome. Thanks.

6. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

348 is a much longer last compared with U. When I tried the 348, the toe tip catches the floor in stride. I never bought a 348 hence.

7. william

william Senior member

I own a u last shoe and love it. I've seen a 348 last shoe and didn't like it at all.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

U last you have to see it in person as there are somethings you won't be able to determine in photo only:

for one, you need a high arch on your foot. as the U last runs slightly narrow but comes with a high instep.

for asian feet (and korean flat wide feet like mine) the U last doesnt work too well.

the enclosure around the ankles incurs some spacing due to the lack of uptake of the high instep so when laced up it does look a bit sloppy around that area.
    take that into consideration.

the U last is more pointy than the 348 as well. some are put off by that. it has a distinct diamond shaped toebox.

9. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

for one, you need a high arch on your foot. as the U last runs slightly narrow but comes with a high instep.

for asian feet (and korean flat wide feet like mine) the U last doesnt work too well.

the enclosure around the ankles incurs some spacing due to the lack of uptake of the high instep so when laced up it does look a bit sloppy around that area.
    take that into consideration.

the U last is more pointy than the 348 as well. some are put off by that. it has a distinct diamond shaped toebox.

Good to know, thanks for sharing.

10. raumil

raumil Active Member

Thank you Kolencho, I love long lasts. It is true that with some of them you have to learn to walk all over again but I don't mind. I am 5' 9" and a long last help me elongate my figure. I always try to avoid the elephant leg look.

11. raumil

raumil Active Member

Thank you sho'nuff, thank God I have a high arch. I am planning two buy two Vass cap-toe oxfords (I love the fact that the back of this shoe is a plain with no stitching solid piece of leather) , one London 3 eyelets all in black and a pair of C&J Tetbury (black and brown) for designer suits and jeans. I am after the look.

12. glowell222

glowell222 Senior member

Hi Raumil. I will try and post a comparison pic tonight.

13. raumil

raumil Active Member

Hi Raumil. I will try and post a comparison pic tonight.

Thank you. I will be looking forward to see them. I really appreciate your time.

[​IMG]

14. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have had both. The Vass was too tight across the widest part of my foot. Could not wear. 348 worked OK. Length was not a problem. I prefer the Vass styling but the fit of the U last did work for me.

15. raumil

raumil Active Member