• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

$30k on wedding attire

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I have a wedding in 2023 and have a fair bit of cash planned to be spent for the attire. I'm not saying I would spend $30k, but it's there if I need it. I was thinking of investing about $20k into a nice watch, then whatever left on the ring and attire. Any suggestions in that price range?
It seems like you are more interested in the watch as a keepsake than the clothes. It doesn't sound like you have a need for a lot of tailored clothing in your life, but that you would benefit from custom based upon your body description.

I'd encourage you to pull back on the clothes and put some more money into the watch, you can wear it every day and wont outgrow it.

If it was me, I would travel 2x and do a high quality MTM place like Divij Hemrajani or from The Armoury (and opt for a basted fitting if possible) and order the following:

• Navy or mid-grey suit for the wedding ceremony for ~$2-3.5K
  • Black peak lapel tuxedo for the reception for ~$2.5-4K
  • Set of custom shirts (1 tux shirt, 1 standard white for suit, 2 dealers choice for non-wedding related things) for ~$1K
  • Nice black oxford shoes (Carmina, Crockett and Jones, Edward Green) for ~$500-1.5K
  • Cartier Tank Louis for ~ $13K, or JLC MUT Moonphase for ~$10K, or a 'pepsi' Rolex GMTII (if you can find one) for ~$10K
  • Travel, incidentals, various accessories ~ $2K
  • Leaves you with ~ $5-10K to save or spend on groomsmen

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are nice watches but are you going to get 5 groomsmen each a Grand Seiko. Personally the Groom should buy himself a Grand Seiko and the Groomsmen lower quality Seikos or higher end G-Shocks.
"Lower quality" should not be in the same sentence with the men one is selecting to be groomsmen. Buy them a nice quality gift, but not a watch. Buying a groomsman a watch is inappropriate in my opinion. Most men prefer to select their own watch/es.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curios about your name. Does it have something to do with the fact that hamsters are banned in Hawaii?

Reaction score
I'm curios about your name. Does it have something to do with the fact that hamsters are banned in Hawaii?
TIL. Thank you for making me appreciate my name more, however the origin is much less interesting and simply two words I've put together.

"Lower quality" should not be in the same sentence with the men one is selecting to be groomsmen. Buy them a nice quality gift, but not a watch. Buying a groomsman a watch is inappropriate in my opinion. Most men prefer to select their own watch/es.
Yes, however the watches they will be getting will be used with their wedding attire. Afterwards, they can do with them however they see fit. I hope to find a suitable watch for them, as this isn't an afterthought for me.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, however the watches they will be getting will be used with their wedding attire. Afterwards, they can do with them however they see fit.
This makes me rather sad. One buys his groomsmen a gift to thank them for being there (figuratively and literally) for him. The point is to provide a gift they will cherish ... while reminding them of your special day.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One other option. Get each groomsman something different. Consider selecting a gift that is inspired by an experience or interest that the two of you share/d.

My best man and I enjoy shooting clays together. He has a magnificent English shotgun with outstanding engraving. I recalled him mentioning that he'd like a pocket knife with similar handwork. That's what I got him. Ultimately each member of the wedding party received a gift that was in some way representative of our friendship one on one. If doing this you might elect to present each gift privately ... again one to one. And, the gift need not be something that will be worn or used at the wedding. It's not so much about the wedding as it is to say thank you.

Ultimately it's your affair and what you do is up to you and your bride to be.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This makes me rather sad. One buys his groomsmen a gift to thank them for being there (figuratively and literally) for him. The point is to provide a gift they will cherish ... while reminding them of your special day.
I hope you don't believe that I am simply gifting without much thought and thankfulness. Nonetheless, I do appreciate your advice. Your friend has a thoughtful friend.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members