• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~$300 overcoat for a short man?

waterpig

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm searching for a winter top coat that is relatively inexpensive and fits a shorter man (5'6"). I found some Lauren coats on STP but I was told that there were better quality brands at the same price point.

I've searched the forums and read most of the other overcoat threads but only one thread directly addressed a shorter overcoat for a shorter man, and the recommendations were out of my price range.

What brands should I consider and where do I find them? I have a NM last call, a Saks Off 5th, and the King of Prussia mall nearby (Bloomindales, Nordstrom, etc.).

Thanks!
marchal.gif

uluvbs

Reaction score
In NYC at Filene's Basement and Daffy's, I am really amazed at what you can buy for $200 or $250. Obscure Italian brands mostly, but I wouldn't care so much. Also Kenneth Cole. But they are honestly nice-looking and feeling for even $200, esp. given how early we are in the season.

I think you're better off not focusing so much on brand and whether they are specially made for short men and instead just buying a nice looking coat and have it altered a bit to fit you.

marano

Reaction score
I'm about your size and I picked up the Ralph Lauren Herringbone Topcoat from STP for around $240 after 20% discount and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm sure there are better deals to be had but I didn't have time to scour the outlets or wait for something to come up on ebay.

alflauren

Reaction score
Buy the best size in the best brand that you can and find a good tailor. I'm 5'7" and nothing fits off the rack, so I get RL from STP for the more business/formal topcoats and go with JCrew or some other mid-level brand for more casual overcoats.

A good tailor can fix just about anything - one of my RL overcoats was 3" too long in the sleeves and 6" too long in the coat, but now it fits great.

As for brands, it's hard to say since there are even differing levels of quality under the same brand. Use your best judgment in trying things on.

waterpig

Reaction score
Hello, all. Thanks for your replies. I cheaped out and bought a charcoal overcoat from H&M. I need to have the sleeves shortened but I am unsure if I will alter the length of the coat. It extends downwards to just above my knees which--on a 5 foot 7 inch man--does appear a bit out of sorts, but I actually enjoy the appearance.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by waterpig
Hello, all. Thanks for your replies. I cheaped out and bought a charcoal overcoat from H&M. I need to have the sleeves shortened but I am unsure if I will alter the length of the coat. It extends downwards to just above my knees which--on a 5 foot 7 inch man--does appear a bit out of sorts, but I actually enjoy the appearance.

i think anything above the knees for a shorter man would look fine, just not anything below the knees, unless it's a really light, slim fitting coat.

yatpack

Reaction score
Marano: are you referring to the Lauren by RL model pictured here? How large is the herringbone pattern on it? Would it be possible to wear it with a suit? Also, are you happy with the fit, slimness-wise? I need something now and, for the price, this may be better than what I'd get at e.g. Zara. Also: anyone have any thoughts as to this Joseph Abboud model in comparison?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yatpack
Marano: are you referring to the Lauren by RL model pictured here?

How large is the herringbone pattern on it? Would it be possible to wear it with a suit? Also, are you happy with the fit, slimness-wise? I need something now and, for the price, this may be better than what I'd get at e.g. Zara.

Also: anyone have any thoughts as to this Joseph Abboud model in comparison?

i've gotten the one at stp and the sizing is way off. it's really boxy and really lbig, you'll probably need to size down 1. i'd rather go with the zara, it's better styled and probably better priced for its quality and fit.

marano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yatpack
Marano: are you referring to the Lauren by RL model pictured here?

How large is the herringbone pattern on it? Would it be possible to wear it with a suit? Also, are you happy with the fit, slimness-wise? I need something now and, for the price, this may be better than what I'd get at e.g. Zara.

Also: anyone have any thoughts as to this Joseph Abboud model in comparison?

Yes. Take a look at the pics below for a idea on the pattern. I wear the coat with a suit everyday. The coat is a bit boxy and the fit could be a bit better (haven't had it tailored yet) but it will do until I can afford something better

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads