1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

$300 for sneakers: is there something wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imageWIS, Jun 20, 2006.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I guess the point is that they're $300 because of the name, not the look and feel. $300 is not ridiculous to pay for what you want, but in this case you are paying for the name, so if that's not what you care about, it may be frivolous.

EDIT: Well, maybe part of the $300 is the look, but whether or not it is a unique look is in the eye of the beholder.

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

I wear the 2001s too. But to run in, they're great shoes. Do you wear them on the street? For designer footwear, $300 isn't so bad. Er, relatively.

My street shoes are Dolce & Gabbana and Helmut Lang. The only reasonably priced street shoe I have is Chucks, but I don't find them comfortable at all.

I wear my 2001 mostly to exercise/run in, or just to walk around on lazy days. They're not particularly good looking, but I do love 'em.

3. stach

stach Senior member

$300 to Operation Smile will transform a disfigured child. [​IMG]

4. DNW

DNW Senior member

$300 to Operation Smile will transform a disfigured child. [​IMG]

Are you talking about imageWIS?

5. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I'll spend a lot on something I really dig but $300 is beyond my cutoff for trainers. The most I spent was $165 on a pair, and even then I thought I was insane. Altho last fall I did see a Neil Barrett/Puma trainer for $265 that I seriously considered, but passed on.

You mean these?

HOT!

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Are you talking about imageWIS?
    He better not be. I’ll show him ‘child’. Jon.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

You mean these? HOT!
    Not really. I’ve tired these on, the pull off the strap and can change the hardness of the shoe; unfortunately all the removable blocks are too hard. Also, they didn’t fit me too well. Jon.

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I wear the 2001s too. But to run in, they're great shoes. Do you wear them on the street? For designer footwear, $300 isn't so bad. Er, relatively.

My street shoes are Dolce & Gabbana and Helmut Lang. The only reasonably priced street shoe I have is Chucks, but I don't find them comfortable at all.

I'm curious what your HLs and D&Gs look like. Have any picture links or anything? I really like HLs shoes, and although it's odd I really dig the white patent leather ones.

9. benecios

benecios Senior member

Just to make you feel better I sold a pair of Adidas Consortium Neighborhoods for $1250 last year.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

11. j

j Senior member Admin

I think any sneakers over a hundred bucks or so are pretty ridiculous. They wear out. Seriously.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I think any sneakers over a hundred bucks or so are pretty ridiculous. They wear out. Seriously.

That's true; I really like them though. I've been rationalizing the purchase...I would jump on them if I could resole them, because my uppers tend to last, it's the soles that get worn out eventually.

Jon.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sure, $300 sneakers are ridiculous, just a little above the scale of $235 hoodies (I hit that mark with a Belstaff hoodie - nice, and very cool futuristic design, but still ridiculous) and $500 jeans (though not as ridiculous as $800 jeans.) All this things are luxuries, and particularly frivolous ones at that, although not as extravagant as 100K watches (what the hell is that all about!)

I think that as long as you are generally responsible with your money, you should be allowed your frivolities. But seriously, let's not say that the "quality" makes a luxury a non-frivolous expense. You can wear a $20 Lee hoodie (actually, my The Cast hoodies, costing about $130 apiece, are actually just printed on Lee 50/50 hoodies) and $30 jeans, and they will be just as serviciable as a Spruce or Loopwheeler hoodie and a pair of Jomons, or 5EPs, or Dior x Eternal 811s, or whatever takes your fancy.

As for the Y-3's in question - I've seen them, and they are definitely a step above usual Adidas quality, but not worth between three to five times the price of regular Adidas. Nor am I particularly impressed by the design or colorways, although they are nice. I would pick them up for $100, maybe, but would definitely not pay full freight.

14. visionology

visionology Senior member

If you have enough sneakers in your rotation they should last a long while too. I keep all mine in the original boxes and rotate between around 6 pairs and most look almost brand new still with the exception of my new balance's runners which get the most abuse. I haven't had a sole go on any of mine since I was a child, and that was only because as a child I had 1 pair of sneakers that I would wear everywhere.

15. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I'm curious what your HLs and D&Gs look like. Have any picture links or anything? I really like HLs shoes, and although it's odd I really dig the white patent leather ones.
    Here's a pic I posted earlier:
    [​IMG]

I'll try to take a pic of the HL's later.

btw, Brian, while searching for my posted pic, I came upon this little gem:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...9&postcount=34
    How's that coming along?

16. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

If it's a pair that I'd enjoy, I'd pay $300 for sneakers. That said, I haven't gone over $150 and don't plan to.

17. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

18. visionology

visionology Senior member

For $1200 they should be made of real money.

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

For $1200 they should be made of real money.

Yeah, what he said.

Jon.

20. sloaney

sloaney Senior member

You clearly like them, and if spending $300 will make you so happy, why not?
    Have you ever wanted any other pair of shoes that badly?
    Life's too short to deny yourself something you can clearly afford and like so much. Don't rationalize what you like.