3 suits - what works, what doesn't?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PinkPantser, Jan 26, 2008.

1. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

I was hoping to get some criticism on these 3 suits. What do you think looks good and what do you think looks bad? Whats your general impression of each of them individually?

The first is a tan seersucker.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The second is a heavy tweed. The pants are worn with braces in these pictures.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The third is a mid weight flannel and is undarted.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If you were me, what would be your next suit purchase, if any? I only wear suits casually.

Thanks for any input!

2. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I think suit #2 is the best overall fit.

In my opinion, you might
    1. try a longer coat
    2. stick with double vents which makes the coat more defined and sleek
    3. seek a coat with more natural shoulders
    4. try for a more suppressed waist on the coat for a nicer silhouette
    5. avoid "unusual" colors and patterns A good solid charcoal gray or navy blue can be used in a variety of ways and always looks good.
    6. get a better measurement on the length of the trousers
    7. avoid pockets in the front of the trouser (suit #3)
    8. think about cuffs--there is a debate about whether or not to cuff plain front trousers

Visit several reputable tailors and get their input. It pays to shop around.

Good luck and have fun.

3. Gsin

Gsin Active Member

The seersucker looks too short in the jacket and too long in the pants. The last two look generally good to me.

Your posture in especially the first picture isn't great. Improving that alone will make you look and feel more confident.

If you're only wearing suits casually, I'm not sure how many you would need. Perhaps a plain Navy that is a good all 'rounder.

Well done!

4. G.P.

G.P. Active Member

The seersucker suit is beautiful if you ask me,nice short jacket,sleeves maybe a little too long,but aside from that,awesome.

5. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

lookin good

6. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

I think suit #2 is the best overall fit. In my opinion, you might 2. stick with double vents which makes the coat more defined and sleek 3. seek a coat with more natural shoulders 4. try for a more suppressed waist on the coat for a nicer silhouette 5. avoid "unusual" colors and patterns A good solid charcoal gray or navy blue can be used in a variety of ways and always looks good. 6. get a better measurement on the length of the trousers 8. think about cuffs--there is a debate about whether or not to cuff plain front trousers
    +1 A heavier fabric will always give cleaner lines. I would consider some jacket/slacks combos before anny more suits. You seem to have the seasons covered. Not thrilled about the shirts ... To each his own IMHO Speed

7. phaedrus

phaedrus Senior member

Is the third one thick as thieves? I like outfit # 2 the best, but they all look good to me.

8. JimInSoCalif

JimInSoCalif Senior member

I think the trousers on the first suit are a tad long - everything else looks good. Also, I would cuff them but that is just a matter of personal preference.

It is hard to suggest your next suit as you say you don't wear them often and we don't know where you wear them, but as you have a casual summer suit (the seersucker), you might consider a casual suit for cooler weather. I like tweeds, especially herringbone in three piece suits.

9. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

Sell the first one and third one to buy more like the second one.

10. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

The first would be much improved if you shortened the pants.

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I like #2 and #3 and would like #1 with alterations to the pants and maybe a bit of suppression to the jacket.

12. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

One and two look great. Three looks like maybe it's too tight in the hips. Overall you might consider longer jackets but that's a personal preference.

13. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

You wear all 3 very well in my opinion! The third suit is my favorite.

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

The tweed suit fits you the best. Jacket is well-balanced. Is that a windowpane? Nice.

15. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

looks good to me. nice big cuffs on trousers #2 and #3. sleeves and pants too long, obviously, in #1. i guess you will get the hem of those trousers soiled, in that light color, if you wear them so close to your heel. something looks off with the left shoulder on #3. it looks like you have a dropped left shoulder? (left-handed?) is there too much extension for that roping in #3? i dunno, maybe it is a shadow but it looks like a dent or something in the back picture

all in all, looks good to me. i don't think any of the trousers look too slim, and the length of the jackets are fine, though #1 would feel too short to me. the choice of colors and fabrics is good. nice set of suits you have.