• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 rolled to 2

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the concensus on 3-button suits rolled to 2. I'm kicking around the idea of this Isaia from STP. I'm sure it's a great price but the 3 button rolled to 2 looks a bit extreme. In the catalouge it is more pronounced, because the button hole on the top button is lying flat on the chest near the breast pocket. It just looks funny. I'm thinking that before I spring $1 k for a suit, I want to make sure it's going to look good for years. thots?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Doesn't look at all extreme to me. You should be able to get years of wear out of that.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stu,

That is an excellent price for a suit by that maker, but it is still a lot of money to pay for something.  Though I have never purchased anything from STP, I do have a suit by Isaia that looks very much like the one you have linked.  Mine is a blue and charcoal Stewart model that I had tailored from a 54L to fit me, a 52L.  It is my favorite suit.  From the photos on STP, I would say you are looking at the same model as I have.  The lapel roll is nice on my suit.  If the one that comes from STP is pressed over a little flat during shipping, it can be easily steamed in to proper shape.  If there is a defect in the suit, or if you simply don't like it, or if you discover it is a suit from a cheaper line with a lapel that does not "roll" (not aware of the existence of this made by Isaia), then you could return it, no?

Good luck.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Manton. Perhaps I mispoke. I shouldn't have used the word extreme, because the roll looks fine. What looks wierd to me is the top buttonhole lying almost flat on the chest.

John: Thanks for the encouragement. I thought you or someone else had pulled the trigger on one of those suits. I really like STP -- they have so much integrity. Yes it is a lot to pay, but I'm celebrating a sweet real estate deal I just pulled off. Bought a house in December and am flipping it for a 30 percent net profit. Just got a signed contract from a buyer. I am rewarding myself.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What looks wierd to me is the top buttonhole lying almost flat on the chest.
I don't think I understand. You mean the lapel is pressed too flat?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Stu @ Mar. 20 2005,08:01) What looks wierd to me is the top buttonhole lying almost flat on the chest.
I don't think I understand. Â You mean the lapel is pressed too flat?
Perhaps that's what it is. I'm just not used to seeing the buttonhole laying flat on the chest like that. I'm used to seeing it lined up with the other button holes. But in this case, in the paper catalouge photo, it is on the roll of the lapel, and is about an inch or so to the right of where, in my mind's eye, it should be, which is lined up with the other two button holes. Sorry I'm not being clearer, but does that give you a better idea of what I am talking about?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You mean (I think) that it is, or looks, too far to the left.  That's par for the course with a roll-through.  Built into the design, as it were.  I wouldn't worry about it.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there is a defect in the suit, or if you simply don't like it, or if you discover it is a suit from a cheaper line with a lapel that does not "roll" (not aware of the existence of this made by Isaia), then you could return it, no?
FYI--Sierra Trading Post has an excellent return policy, akin to Nordstrom.  No time limit on returns.

That suit looks fine to me--I'd order it and send it back if it doesn't seem right in person. Don't forget to scrounge for STP codes if you don't have a current one.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the concensus on 3-button suits rolled to 2. I'm kicking around the idea of this Isaia from STP. I'm sure it's a great price but the 3 button rolled to 2 looks a bit extreme. In the catalouge it is more pronounced, because the button hole on the top button is lying flat on the chest near the breast pocket. It just looks funny. I'm thinking that before I spring $1 k for a suit, I want to make sure it's going to look good for years. thots?
Stu, In general, I prefer suit jackets that have 3 buttons rolled to 2. This is my opinion on suits that have 3 buttons rolled to 2; their right lapel should touch breast pocket. I think this add real timeless elegancy that won't fade away. I thought that all Napolitian suits would do something like this, but Isaia does not. Aside from that, I think the suit looks super sharp.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I took the plunge, and found a coupon for 10 percent off, so the suit came to $914 or so with shipping. Sounds like a good deal no? What's really cool is that I went through Upromise, so STP made a 3 percent donation to my kid's college fund.

Any of you who have youngsters and buy from Bluefly, Johnston & Murphy, STP and any number of retailers should check out Upromise. Doesn't cost a thing to register and all you have to do is go through their site to get to one of the participating retailers. Donations range from 1 percent up to 10 percent of your purchase. If I'm going to spend myself into bankruptcy buying clothes, I might as well put my kid through college at the same time.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's great, Stu. I hope you like it.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain why 3 rolled to 2 is desirable?  Not criticising the look, I am just curious as to why 3 rolled to 2 would be better than a 2 button...  Thought perhaps Manton might know a rule on this one or provide some history since most affectations have pragmatic roots like the button down collar intended to keep the collar out of a polo players face.

Would this work better for certain builds?

I have never liked the high stance 3-button with very short lapels or the Armaniesque gorge down to the crotch that seems to shout PLEASE LOOK AT MY CROTCH.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
1) Done well, it can narrow the silhouette, and the longer "button line" can be elongating.

2) It gives the coat kind of a casual, "relaxed" look to have that top button present yet always open. And it's better than a true three button, which closes much higher up on the chest and makes most guys look wrapped in a bolt of cloth.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Can someone explain why 3 rolled to 2 is desirable? Not criticising the look, I am just curious as to why 3 rolled to 2 would be better than a 2 button..." There is difference i believe. I notice that 3 button rolled into 2 button jackets have softer and more gracious roll at the bottom of lapels. But this could be just my observation ..

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I notice that 3 button rolled into 2 button jackets have softer and more gracious roll at the bottom of lapels.
I agree. Make that #3 to what I said, above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics