• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-roll-2 with an awkward button stance?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
familiar with the term bloom applied when prepping coffee for pour over brewing method and I've heard of blooming onions. I think you guys mean the fullness of the arc of the lapel as it rolls just above the button.
Lapel roll and "bloom" are first achieved by how the layers of canvass, sometimes silesia as a filler layer, and the cloth, body and lapel facing, are "rolled". Meaning one layer longer than the previous to create the roll. Pad stitching holds everything in place. Pad stitching alone will create an amount of roll but if the layering is done correctly before the pad stitching, well, I think this is the difference between poorly done and well done.
The layering of the cloth and canvass are primary because the pad stitching is reduced in this area. The stitches don't extend much past the roll because they would be seen where the lapel doesn't cover them. Because of this, the layering is the most important.
Don't know how many tailors pay attention to this. I learned a nice technique in my third apprenticeship and have continued to use it.
Thinking more about this. The tailor who showed me the layering technique is the only tailor I know that did this. There is a way to baste the facings in this area, that's a necessary part too.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
familiar with the term bloom applied when prepping coffee for pour over brewing method and I've heard of blooming onions. I think you guys mean the fullness of the arc of the lapel as it rolls just above the button.
Lapel roll and "bloom" are first achieved by how the layers of canvass, sometimes silesia as a filler layer, and the cloth, body and lapel facing, are "rolled". Meaning one layer longer than the previous to create the roll. Pad stitching holds everything in place. Pad stitching alone will create an amount of roll but if the layering is done well before the pad stitching, well, I think this is the difference between poorly done and well done.
The layering of the cloth and canvass are primary because the pad stitching is reduced in this area. The stitches don't extend much past the roll because they would be seen where the lapel doesn't cover them. Because of this, the layering is the most important.
Don't know how many tailors pay attention to this. I learned a nice technique in my third apprenticeship and have continued to use it.

Thanks for the explanation! Maybe this is what explains what I feel in the middle of my Solito lapels. It feels like there's something thicker inside, whereas my Steed lapels aren't as thick. I just assumed maybe Solito used a heavier canvas, but it sounds like this is the layering.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like how the lapels roll above the button on this top coat. When the coat is buttoned it looks fantastic. I like just a hint of belly to the lapel. No exaggeration.
The point of the roll is controlled by the collar.

Side story; this is Holland & Sherry Ripple Finish, Pure Cashmere. Spent big bucks on the cloth. Asked client how he liked the coat and has he worn it much. "Don't have that many occasions for it but I put it on when I walk the dog just so I can wear it"

What about making a 3 roll 2 or 3 roll 2.5 on a top coat? Cheers or jeers, opinions please?
IMG_3913.jpg

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how the lapels roll above the button on this top coat. When the coat is buttoned it looks fantastic. The point of the roll is controlled by the collar.

Side story; this is Holland & Sherry pure cashmere. Spent big bucks on the cloth. Asked client how he liked the coat and has he worn it much. " Don't have that many occasions for it but I put it on when I walk the dog just so I can wear it"

What about making a 3 roll 2 or 3 roll 2.5 on a top coat? Cheers or jeers, opinions please?
View attachment 1486363

The Armoury used to have one, I’m not as into it on a top coat as I am on sport coats but it’s not a deal breaker either...maybe if it had other causal details like slash pockets

8CE3155B-460A-4B25-BA91-B460442386F1.jpeg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think what you meant to say is that when the chips are down in Gotham City, Commissioner Gordon throws up the Despos signal. One of the two is the hero iGents deserve, and the other is a homicidal billionaire in a poly-blend cape.

I'm both of those persons you so aptly describe. Tailor by day, Crime fighter by night!

Despos Signal copy.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realized my coat will likely only be worn on night time winter walks for me too for at least the next year or so.

Stylewords

Reaction score
If you like 3-button jackets, get a 3 button. If you like 2, get 2. Don't be a mumbling indecisive with an extraneous buttonhole lying awkwardly on your lapel because you couldn't make up your mind.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you like 3-button jackets, get a 3 button. If you like 2, get 2. Don't be a mumbling indecisive with an extraneous buttonhole lying awkwardly on your lapel because you couldn't make up your mind.

This will blow your mind, but a two-button jacket is actually between a one-button and a three.

View attachment 1486445

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how the lapels roll above the button on this top coat. When the coat is buttoned it looks fantastic. I like just a hint of belly to the lapel. No exaggeration.
The point of the roll is controlled by the collar.

Side story; this is Holland & Sherry Ripple Finish, Pure Cashmere. Spent big bucks on the cloth. Asked client how he liked the coat and has he worn it much. "Don't have that many occasions for it but I put it on when I walk the dog just so I can wear it"

View attachment 1486363

Side note on this coat: I love the height and shape of this lapel. I think the peaks are perfectly positioned and its a welcome change from peaks that point straight up. I would really love to see lapels like this incorporated on one of your 3 roll 2 jackets.

2nd side note: If I recall, this coat is actually a pure white cashmere. I just wanted to say how happy I am to live in a world where this coat actually exists in the wild and someone wheres it to walk their dog...

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that 2, and 2-roll-3 jackets are generally the best bet for most circumstances, but I'd like to say some nice things about the true 3-button jacket. With the exception of a couple of those vintage examples posted earlier (although they look terrible all buttoned up on mannequins), the 3-button jackets posted here have been the worst examples of the style. I also think 3-button jackets look bad standing still in a photograph but can look very good in motion, when it becomes obvious that the small lapel doesn't stay glued down in position.

I'll spare you my favorite Apparel Arts plates, but I will have to go back to the '30s, when 3-button jackets were made and worn like they're supposed to be made and worn. I also think you don't have to go full-on cosplay to look good in a jacket like this in 2020. To me, they look really anchored by that middle button, but also particularly floppy and casual. I think these jacket look sharp and comfortable, and my next bespoke jacket will be a Shetland shepherd's check made in this style.

CG 1.jpg
GC 2.jpg
GC 4.jpg
HB 1.png
GC 3.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Only one I like is this one, and it looks more like a 3-roll-2.5

GC 4.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads