3-roll-2 suits - appropriate for the office?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sadkfjaskfaj, Jan 13, 2016.

1. sadkfjaskfaj

sadkfjaskfaj Member

I was getting a new suit made today and was thinking about making it 3-roll-2. However, the tailor suggested that a plain two-button would be more 'formal' and versatile.

For context, I am in my early 20s and I will be primarily wearing this suit in a conservative office environment (large law firm). I am trying not to overstep the line between "personal flair" to "irreverence".

Would a 3-roll-2 be appropriate for my uses, or would it be too much flair for a conservative office?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

2. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

If the fabric and cut of the suit are conservative then absolutely, nothing wrong with a 3-2. Most people won't even notice.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

3. Seamless

Seamless Senior member

No one will ever notice. A nice fabric, a good cut and 3r2 you'll be just fine.

4. kravatorf

kravatorf Member

As stated before, nothing wrong about wearing a 3 roll 2 suit in a conservative office environment as long as the fit is fine and the fabric is classic

Anyway, if we get into the details, the cut has to be consistent with the 3 roll 2 and you may achieve a better fit according to your body type with a classic 2 button. Knowing that each tailor has his or her own method and preferences when making the lapel roll, it may be a good idea to listen to your tailor

In the end, this is a personal aesthetic choice, so we shouldn't be to fussy here

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

5. Astaroth

Astaroth Senior member

I would argue it does depend a little on where the roll is.

I am not an expert but my English made 3R2 the button and hole are fully rolled over and therefore only the most observant of people will notice it. On my Italian (Naples) made ones they are on the roll meaning the lapel doesnt lay as flat and as such is more noticeable.

I would argue they are slightly more casual than a 2 button but if its the style similar to my English ones its a tiny difference and you'd be fine. If its the italian style then its slightly more casual but you'd be fine with all but the most formal of people