3 roll 2 Peak Lapel

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NewYorkIslander, May 10, 2011.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

It has all the incongruities that make a Mashburn original a Mashburn original. The 3/2 roll with peak lapels. The slouchy shoulders. The Glenn Plaid with patch pockets. Sid always says he prides himself on not being too polished or too perfect; keep it playful and original. To me it is a clear instance of "the Devil is in the details". Props to a dude who can look so comfortable in an outfit with so many quirks.

2. juuceman

juuceman Senior member

Check out Jason Marhsall, the Jazz musician. He posts here and on Ask Andy and his homepage has some interesting photos of him. I believe he's worked though from a 3 button down to a one button with peak lapels.

I do like the idea of the peak lapel sport coat and can see it in a more casual suit, ideally in a midnight navy to be worn at night. It's generally outside of the scope of classic men's wear though..

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

My Cuci is like this. I like it.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Check out Jason Marhsall, the Jazz musician. He posts here and on Ask Andy and his homepage has some interesting photos of him. I believe he's worked though from a 3 button down to a one button with peak lapels.

I do like the idea of the peak lapel sport coat and can see it in a more casual suit, ideally in a midnight navy to be worn at night. It's generally outside of the scope of classic men's wear though..

I saw one at Ercole wait for a fitting with all lapped seams, spalla shoulders, patch pockets. Looked amazing.

5. srivats

srivats Senior member

I am probably in the minority on this one, but I think a true 3 roll 2 can be substituted in any situation a 2 button would work, which is I guess, always. I think people are having a hard time getting over the peaks, but honestly I don't think most people notice the difference.

Peak away!

+1 on this.

Do the peaks, but keep the proportions sane. Don't end up like Lapo [​IMG]

6. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

My Cuci is like this. I like it.

That's what she said. [​IMG]

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think you are tall enough to do it. I have seen a few Cucinelli's that look very good in a peak 3-2. Go for it.

8. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

I don't hate the idea, but the size of lapels keeps forcing my mind's eye to pull the one half of the jacket over the other into a d/b configuration.

I guess it would more congruous to me as a one-button peak a la Huntsman.

9. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

I take more offense to the patch pocket/peak combo than the 3/2 peak combo.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I take more offense to the patch pocket/peak combo than the 3/2 peak combo.

I think the key is to have a patch breast pocket with patch side pockets. A normal breast pocket with side patch pockets looks like a mistake to me and gives a jacket a kind of identity crisis.

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

not a fan. plus the patch pockets and fabric also add to the mix and the whole thing looks confusing to me.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

nah, I don't get it. The third button adds nothing Spoo. The lapel is rolled so hard it serves no functional purpose and it's a distraction from the beautiful peaks.

what kind of crappy designer made that thing ;-)

14. jasonmarshalljazz

jasonmarshalljazz Senior member

i just bought a 3/2, split-peak. wore it for the first time tonight. love it. i think if the button stance is low enough the it can work quite well. as for patch pockets with peak lapels i don't mind it at all:
    [​IMG]

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

nah, I don't get it. The third button adds nothing Spoo. The lapel is rolled so hard it serves no functional purpose and it's a distraction from the beautiful peaks.

what kind of crappy designer made that thing ;-)

I agree with you - however it does not bother me so much. Just showing Rob a pic since he asked for one. You know what crap designer made this [​IMG]