• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 Roll 2 jacket construction question...

woolymammoth

Reaction score
If a standard 2 button is just about completed at the last minute can the jacket be turned into a 3 roll 2? Is it a matter of just how the label is pressed or does a lapel for a 3 roll 2 have to be especially constructed from the start? Comments appreciated - thank you.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The tailors who have done this for me cut the fronts differently. Also, it's not so much about how the lapel is pressed, but the length and tension of the collar.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The tailors who have done this for me cut the fronts differently. Also, it's not so much about how the lapel is pressed, but the length and tension of the collar.

Couldn't have explained it better.

meauounji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

So... sorry for sounding uneducated here, but does that mean you can or can't turn it into a 3/2?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meauounji
So... sorry for sounding uneducated here, but does that mean you can or can't turn it into a 3/2?

You can, maybe, but it won't look the same and chances are the pressing will not hold and it will roll back to where it was. That said, there are people who have done it and say they can't tell the difference. I would not be happy, personally, but I am fussy.

jcc123

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing yesterday. I stopped by Mr. Ned's yesterday for a fitting and they showed me that the support in the lapels is different between a 3 button and 3/2 or 2.5 roll. There's a heavier strip of material that runs along the length of the lapel canvas. It determines where the lapel will naturally break vs. ironing. If you just iron it it will at some point want to return to its natural break so it's best to have it made correctly in the first place.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcc123
I was wondering the same thing yesterday. I stopped by Mr. Ned's yesterday for a fitting and they showed me that the support in the lapels is different between a 3 button and 3/2 or 2.5 roll. There's a heavier strip of material that runs along the length of the lapel canvas. It determines where the lapel will naturally break vs. ironing. If you just iron it it will at some point want to return to its natural break so it's best to have it made correctly in the first place.

Not true. The strip of cloth you refer to is the bridle and serves another purpose. The collar is what controls the roll of the lapel as Manton said in his post.
The OP wants to make a 3 roll 2 from a two button not a three button. Just add the upper button, the lapel is already rolled to the second button. The only difference on the front edge is the shape from the middle button up to the top button. The edge would be straight on a three button roll 2 and the belly curve would begin above the top button. The belly curve will start just above the middle button on a two button but well below the top button because it is originally shaped to be a 2 button.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Wouldn't the position of the pockets be a little off going from 3 to 3 roll 2? Is there a general rule as to the ideal position to place the pockets?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The pocket position is not an issue. It is related more to the jacket length than button position.

woolymammoth

Reaction score
Here's the reason I ask: I commissioned a 3 roll 2 - at the first fitting I noticed that there were only 2 buttons and the jacket was made as a high 2 button which is what I normally get - the tailor said not to worry he will just add the third button/buttonhole.

I have other high 2 button 3 roll 2 jackets and I remember them being made explicitly as 3 roll 2 so it does not seem correct to me that if the jacket was made as a 2 button in error that just adding the albeit non-usable third button makes it a true 3 roll 2...if this was the case then any 2 button jacket could be converted to a 3 roll 2 without compromise and I do not think that is true.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, it is pretty much true. The only thing being the point where the belly curve on the lapel begins. Internally, the edge of the chest piece changes to match the breakline of the lapel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads