• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 roll 2 and 3 roll 2.5

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've a quick question. I recently did a search on the two and although minute in details, they look very different from one another.

Is the only difference the placement of the roll on the lapel. If so, can you convert a 3 button into a 3 roll 2? Wouldn't I just have to iron the lapel in a way in which I could create a roll? Or does this sound
musicboohoo[1].gif

Thank you,

Cheers

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Is the only difference the placement of the roll on the lapel.

Yes.

If so, can you convert a 3 button into a 3 roll 2? Wouldn't I just have to iron the lapel in a way in which I could create a roll? Or does this sound
You wouldn't want to iron it, that will kill the "roll" and you'll end up with a flat pressed lapel. Some people can gently iron or steam the lapel into a new shape, but it's more difficult than it sounds. Do a search, there are plenty of threads on this.

I've a quick question.
We should really have a thread for quick questions, it would make things like this a lot easier.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple Answer: No, because it is more than just 'ironing' that gets the lapels to shape like that. The Tailor who makes the jacket shapes the canvas. I would not recommend.

Complex Answer: someone who knows more about tailoring is going to have to help me out on this one.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Yes.

You wouldn't want to iron it, that will kill the "roll" and you'll end up with a flat pressed lapel. Some people can gently iron or steam the lapel into a new shape, but it's more difficult than it sounds. Do a search, there are plenty of threads on this.

We should really have a thread for quick questions, it would make things like this a lot easier.

Originally Posted by Newcomer
Simple Answer: No, because it is more than just 'ironing' that gets the lapels to shape like that. The Tailor who makes the jacket shapes the canvas. I would not recommend.

Complex Answer: someone who knows more about tailoring is going to have to help me out on this one.

Thank you Gents for your help/advice. I didn't think it was this difficult. I'll look more into it.

Cheers

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might I add--even if you do find a tailor who is willing to do this, there is a decent chance that it can permanently mess up the roll of the lapel, thus ruining the jacket. I mean you always could simply iron it, but the result of doing that would be that the lapel would be completely flat, thus defeating the whole purpose of a 3 roll 2.

stubloom

Reaction score
I would not recommend tampering with a lapel roll.

In the construction of a bespoke suit jacket or sport coat, for example, a tailor invests a significant amount of time constructing the roll of the collar and lapels and reinforcing that roll with a stream iron. Adjusting the roll would require the deconstruction and subsequent reconstruction of the lapels, a time consuming task.

A bespoke tailor needs to comment on the feasibility of changing the construction of a roll.

jefferyd where are you?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless this is a thrifted jacket that you don't have a lot of money invested in, I'd just leave it alone. There's nothing wrong with a 3-button jacket.

rgoldstein

Reaction score
If you have a hard 3 button jacket you can sometimes get a little more of a roll by "popping" (like you would in cold weather to protect your neck) the lapel of the jacket and then laying it flat on a press and the whole chest with the lapel folded up like that. Then just consistently leave the top button open.

Its difficult to explain but pretty obvious if I had photos.

vin19

Reaction score
A few years back, the dry cleaning place iron my 3 roll 2.5 jacket lapel to 3 roll 3 and it destroyed the look of my jacket. I didn't noticed at first otherwise I would have said something. Basically it made the lapel looks flat (ie: more 2 dimensional rather than the original which is more 3D) i try to iron back the other way but it's never the same.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Unless this is a thrifted jacket that you don't have a lot of money invested in, I'd just leave it alone. There's nothing wrong with a 3-button jacket.

This is a jacket apart of a suit that was given to me by one of my mentors. It's a Brioni and my highest quality and favorite jacket. That is why I'm apprehensive to do something to it.

Originally Posted by stubloom
I would not recommend tampering with a lapel roll.

In the construction of a bespoke suit jacket or sport coat, for example, a tailor invests a significant amount of time constructing the roll of the collar and lapels and reinforcing that roll with a stream iron. Adjusting the roll would require the deconstruction and subsequent reconstruction of the lapels, a time consuming task.

A bespoke tailor needs to comment on the feasibility of changing the construction of a roll.

jefferyd where are you?

There are a few bespoke tailors here in Los Angeles and I might give them a call.

Originally Posted by rgoldstein
If you have a hard 3 button jacket you can sometimes get a little more of a roll by "popping" (like you would in cold weather to protect your neck) the lapel of the jacket and then laying it flat on a press and the whole chest with the lapel folded up like that. Then just consistently leave the top button open.

Its difficult to explain but pretty obvious if I had photos.

"Popping" the lapel. Interesting. I'll try this but I wonder if it will work.

I don't have any problem with 3 buttons but it seems like the "in thing" is 3 roll 2's so I wanted to see if I could convert this because I do love the look of the roll. But from all of your advice I think I'm not going to do anything myself without asking a professional.

Thank you again.

Cheers

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would agree with the above--do not mess with the roll of a lapel.

There is an additional consideration: a 3 roll 3 jacket has the button holes finished on the outside of the jacket. A true 3 roll 2 or 3 roll 2.5 has the top most button hole finished on the inside so with the roll, the button hole looks finished. Thus you could never effectively turn a 3R3 into a 3R2 or 3R2.5.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads