• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 piece suit:Trendy, classic or outdated?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Coincidentally, I've just received fall's commissions all of which are three piece as well as an extra odd waistcoat.

Very nice, and lovely shirt collar, too. Could you explain the lapel buttonholes?

--Andre

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they are all three. Most of the suits I make are three piece though. Just gives you more options. If you get an SB1 suit wear it as a three piece very classic, wear it as a two piece and you have a rather fashiony looking suit.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
I only have one but I love the vest, and you can always take it off. Seriously though, like it was asked earlier in this thread, how is it this thread hasn't noticed this seeming to be a big "it" thing this year? My recent mailing from Saks is full of them!

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
They're fine if you're old enough to wear them, but really they are not feasible for the very young, i.e. early 20s. For someone that young, they come close to costume, unfortunately, but once you're old enough, order nothing else!

Why? What makes it a costume for a young man but not an older man? On a young, fit, trim guy, it can be incredibly flattering. Unfortunately, TaT doesn't make 3 pieces for me, but I still throw in an odd vest.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Three piece suits will never go out of style.

myke

+100. I'm wearing my new BB Madison 3-piece today (see WAYWRN for a visual).

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaesarSTL
I only have one but I love the vest, and you can always take it off. Seriously though, like it was asked earlier in this thread, how is it this thread hasn't noticed this seeming to be a big "it" thing this year? My recent mailing from Saks is full of them!

This one from Saks scares me:

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...3548&ev19=1:12

BareSolid

Reaction score
I have been told that in the office not too long ago, 3 piece suits were the standard. They are useful, too, as it gives one a better opportunity to wear one's beloved braces.

Montauk

Reaction score
A properly-cut 3 piece will always be elegant, although that cut (trousers on the waist with braces) isn't very popular at the moment. I've noticed that certain makes are offering longer waistcoats to prevent one's shirt from peeking out above lower-rise trousers all Justin Timberlake style; I find this an unflattering solution (although I realize there's plenty of historical precedent if you want to go back to the 18th century!).

Better to wear those trouser high and just accept that you're going to cut a figure whether you like it or not.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tweed Polo about six years old or so. Too heavy for the waistcoat most of the year.
Picture1-13.png
Picture2-5.png

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Very nice, and lovely shirt collar, too. Could you explain the lapel buttonholes?

--Andre

Thank Andre. It's a single, standard buttonhole, the pin I was using entered through the buttonhole and pierced through the cloth lower down which is why it may look like two buttonholes. There is a keeper behind the lapel for a flower but I always find those things a bit insecure.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
3 piece suits are classic and always acceptable -if- you can pull off the look.
In my opinion, fit is number one, followed by styling, colors, textures & variety.
3 piece suits look great on every body frame & size providing the mans tailor is experienced and skilled. I only wish pocket watches would become the rage again. I love the look of a draping chain on non-military wear.

I completely agree with you on the pocket watch to go with a vest; it's very elegant to my eyes. I have a Waltham from 1923 or so and I keep on forgetting to wind it everyday since it only has a 30 hour reserve in the mainspring. It's a biotch to open the front cover to get access to the lever set and change the time.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most 3 pieces are actually not very aesthetically pleasing..

They're making a comeback and like every fashion fad , most garnments on display are quite plain and ugly...

I have seen a few great examples but they require vision and flair..

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trudeau proved today that the 3-piece is over; maybe it's the fact that he looks like he's 16 years old, but the vest just looks like costume and it detracted from his gravitas IMHO.

yanagi

Reaction score

Trudeau proved today that the 3-piece is over; maybe it's the fact that he looks like he's 16 years old, but the vest just looks like costume and it detracted from his gravitas IMHO.

Do you have a photo where it looks like a costume in your opinion? The BBC photos didn't seem off to me. I actually thought his shoes being too light were more distracting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads