1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

3 piece suit:Trendy, classic or outdated?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lasbar, Sep 15, 2009.

1. yfyf

yfyf Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Very nice, and lovely shirt collar, too. Could you explain the lapel buttonholes?

--Andre

Thank Andre. It's a single, standard buttonhole, the pin I was using entered through the buttonhole and pierced through the cloth lower down which is why it may look like two buttonholes. There is a keeper behind the lapel for a flower but I always find those things a bit insecure.

2. Albern

Albern Senior member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    3 piece suits are classic and always acceptable -if- you can pull off the look.
    In my opinion, fit is number one, followed by styling, colors, textures & variety.
    3 piece suits look great on every body frame & size providing the mans tailor is experienced and skilled. I only wish pocket watches would become the rage again. I love the look of a draping chain on non-military wear.

I completely agree with you on the pocket watch to go with a vest; it's very elegant to my eyes. I have a Waltham from 1923 or so and I keep on forgetting to wind it everyday since it only has a 30 hour reserve in the mainspring. It's a biotch to open the front cover to get access to the lever set and change the time.

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Most 3 pieces are actually not very aesthetically pleasing..

They're making a comeback and like every fashion fad , most garnments on display are quite plain and ugly...

I have seen a few great examples but they require vision and flair..

4. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Trudeau proved today that the 3-piece is over; maybe it's the fact that he looks like he's 16 years old, but the vest just looks like costume and it detracted from his gravitas IMHO.

5. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

Do you have a photo where it looks like a costume in your opinion? The BBC photos didn't seem off to me. I actually thought his shoes being too light were more distracting.

6. BenjaminZeev

BenjaminZeev Senior member

I'm pro 3 piece suit, but I think it is a more of a fashion forward or retro look, so not conservative. I would not wear one to an interview unless it was at a job where you would be expected to have a lot of 'character'.

I really like how David Gandy’s suit looks in this photo (though I think the sunglasses detract):
    [​IMG]

Trudeau looks fine in his three piece to me too

7. usernameis

usernameis Active Member

[​IMG]

Though I absolutely love 3 peice suits I feel like you have to be over 40 to pull them off.

8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I think it helps when the vest doesn't rise too high and cover too much of the tie and shirt. That's why I think Gandy's look above is perfect.

9. rdsr

rdsr Member

Attended a company event recently and 3 piece suits were well represented, myself included. Some of their appearances might not meet the high standard set within these forums, but it certainly does not seems like they are going away nor being shun. Not sure how popular they are in a strictly business setting however.
    I find them quite versatile actually. Perhaps them being technically a classic but carry a certain retro/trendy flare to it makes it both proper yet somewhat different at the same time. They also fit the local climate. I also feel like they let me slack off on shirts a little as well for better or worse.
    I am having a hard time finding a suitable waistcoat with real lapels however.

10. CriticBespok

CriticBespok Member

Three piece suit is awesome and never outdated.
    But you should wear it only if you are slim.
    3 piece suit is really good on young guys.