1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

3-piece suit recommondations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lmasterz, Dec 12, 2013.

1. lmasterz

lmasterz New Member

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I'm a newbie here so I'd appreciate all the support I can get.

I am attending a wedding in a few weeks. I have always liked 3-piece suits as I think it screams elegance, class and style. I bought my navy blue 3 piece. I want recommendations on the shirt color, tie (skinny or normal/wide), color of shoes and handkerchief. I browsed around online, I found the typical look (which I don't mind), which is a white shirt and a dark tie (i.e. blue or black) along with a white handkerchief. What others would you recommend?

What are the do's and don'ts for a 3-piece? I saw a thread here on this site mentioning not to wear a belt, which I totally disagree to. I think it should be hidden, but not to avoid wearing one.

Also, I want to wear a cuffed shirt. What's the rule on how much to show off the shirt? In this I would most likely have to shorten the sleeves to show off the cuffs, right?

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Don't wear a belt. I wouldn't wear a belt with any suit.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

The waistcoat should be long enough to cover the waistband of the trousers, regardless of whether or not you're wearing a belt.

Some contemporary cut suits unfortunately don't do this.

Cheers,

Ac

4. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

The only difference between a traditionally cut 3-piece suit and a 2-piece suit that matters to your questions about shirts and other accompaniments is that by convention the 3-piece suit is regarded as slightly more formal. The choice of what goes with it should usually reflect that: something that might seem inappropriately informal with a 2-piece suit is apt to look even odder with a 3-piece suit.

Cheers,

Ac

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Agreed. If the trousers of your three-piece suit are of the low-rise crotch-grabbing variety, then better to go with side tabs or braces as the belt will show beneath the vest and look untidy. But for pants with a normal rise, a belt is fine.