• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 piece single-breasted suits:Cuffs/turn-ups or not?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only have turn-ups on my double-breasted trousers and the odd suits because I do think they make the suit a little bit more casual...

I also like the natural elegant flow of uncuffed trousers...

For my first 3 piece sb suit , I'm thinking of having turn-ups even if I'm a bit worried by the vi?ual impact on the all suit..

Any advice?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the fit of the trousers. If you have a looser fitting trouser, I think a little break and cuffs looks good.

If they fit tighter, then no break and no cuffs looks the best to me.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the trousers are pleated, get turn-ups (and have brace buttons installed) - the trousers will drape better with a bit of extra weight at the bottom.

If the trousers are flat-front, have plain bottoms.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One factor to consider is the weight of the cloth: if it's light then uncuffed trousers will flap around and look flimsy.

I don't where people got this idea that flat-front trousers shouldn't be cuffed.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
One factor to consider is the weight of the cloth: if it's light then uncuffed trousers will flap around and look flimsy.

I don't where people got this idea that flat-front trousers shouldn't be cuffed.

+1. It's all about the weight, not the cut.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
+1. It's all about the weight, not the cut.

If flannel like the Fox 11/12 oz I'm thinking of, cuffs.

If worsted 12oz , no cuffs.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
If flannel like the Fox 12/13 oz I'm thinking of, cuffs.

If worsted 12oz , no cuffs.

It is more a question of texture and fabrics.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you have enough material it's worth doing. It adds some character to a nice suit, and it looks good on both slim and fuller trousers.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have only recently started getting turn-ups on my suits. For years I never did, but now I think it makes them look more "finished". Also it benefits me because I have bad knocked knees, so the extra weight helps with the drape of the cloth.

Oh btw, you're lasbar, you can do anything you damn well please.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you ask for a personal preference, I would vote for turn-ups, but, as PatrickBooth clearly stated - you're the boss, OP - what you want is what you shall have.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
w/r/t weight/draping, I recall reading about a tailor that sews coins into the hem...

mpieniaz

Reaction score
Do whatever you like and think looks best. For me all dress pants are cuffed, always.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads