• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 Piece Patch?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
By default, Rubinacci does double stitching on odd jackets (who knew he was an iGent? He even likes patch pockets!), but there is no swelled edge. On my own odd jackets, I can barely tell the double stitching is there.

My LA-based Italian tailor's stuff is like that too: the edge is barely swelled if at all when he does the sportcoat stitching, as he refers to it. I asked him about swelled edges recently, and while I don't understand his explanation, it had something to do how the inner layers are arranged and sewn together, which seems prosaically tautological now that I type it out. He claims it is more of a feature of machine sewing, but I may not have understood him. I've been meaning to take a few pictures for the jacket pr0n thread, too.

F*cking iGent.
Is that like jumbo shrimp?

--Andre

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

3. BB-style machine stitched swelled lapel edge (Chipp bespoke):

628761477_a9HNR-O.jpg

- B

You need to explain this...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
You need to explain this...

Hard to explain to a Briton. I'll let others try:

Ivy Style: Madras quickly leads us to what's known as the Go-To-Hell look. How much of that do you remember?

Bruce Boyer: I remember that stuff from the early '60s. I started to go to New York for shopping and my favorite store was Chipp. That's where I saw the patch madras and tweed, even before Brooks. Because Chipp is gone now, people tend to forget them. But they were probably the most interesting and most important and the best of Ivy League clothing stores. They were always a little more expensive, too. If Brooks introduced the shetland to this country, it was Chipp that promoted the wild colors like coral, hot pink and lemon yellow. I think I had a cable-knit shetland in bright raspberry in the '60s. Chipp also did all of the wonderful, wild tweeds: You'd get a tan herringbone with a lilac windowplane overplaid.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to explain to a Briton. I'll let others try:

Ivy Style: Madras quickly leads us to what's known as the Go-To-Hell look. How much of that do you remember?

Bruce Boyer: I remember that stuff from the early '60s. I started to go to New York for shopping and my favorite store was Chipp. That's where I saw the patch madras and tweed, even before Brooks. Because Chipp is gone now, people tend to forget them. But they were probably the most interesting and most important and the best of Ivy League clothing stores. They were always a little more expensive, too. If Brooks introduced the shetland to this country, it was Chipp that promoted the wild colors like coral, hot pink and lemon yellow. I think I had a cable-knit shetland in bright raspberry in the '60s. Chipp also did all of the wonderful, wild tweeds: You'd get a tan herringbone with a lilac windowplane overplaid.

- B

Interesting look. I like that devil may care attitude to dressing, we need more of it.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those comparison photos, Vox. Quite useful.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Interesting look. I like that devil may care attitude to dressing, we need more of it.

At the risk of making people suffer a core meltdown, here's the full getup that day with seersucker trousers:

629876811_dtAUb-X2.jpg

Note that I've worn it to the office and the lack of socks.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At the risk of making people suffer a core meltdown, here's the full getup that day with seersucker trousers:

629876811_dtAUb-X2.jpg

Note that I've worn it to the office and the lack of socks.

- B

It's terribly ugly, but not one of the worst.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Thanks for those comparison photos, Vox. Quite useful.

+1 thanks.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
629876811_dtAUb-X2.jpg
Note that I've worn it to the office and the lack of socks. - B

The devil would not only not care about this, he'd cross the street to avoid it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It's terribly ugly, but not one of the worst.

Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
The devil would only not care about this, he'd cross the street to avoid it.

Thank you.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you crumpled it up for a year or two, you could be NY Ranger.

I would need more sausages and relatives.

I could arrange the former, but the latter are all dead.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would need more sausages and relatives.

I could arrange the former, but the latter are all dead.

- B

I have a comment to make, but I will keep it to myself. It is quite funny, but perhaps a little too cruel.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a comment to make, but I will keep it to myself. It is quite funny, but perhaps a little too cruel.

My PM box is only 99% full, so it is a rare opportunity for you.

- B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. - B
Noblesse oblige, old sport. Btw, lack of socks with anything but deck shoes, canvas sneakers, bucks or soft, Norwegian penny loafers is a major league ewww. But, because you align yourself with sanitation workers, this gaffe is understandable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads