• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 day a week workout

TowleY

Reaction score
Not including cardio, do you guys think this would be enough? If you have read some of my previous threads you know that I have a very limited gym.

Monday- Chest
Tuesday- Arms (tris/bis etc)
Weds- Abs/Legs/Back (Reason why I put these 3 togehter is for a few reasons. Main reason is b/c of the lack of equipment. Also since I have scoliosis in my back, and I played soccer and have fairly strong legs.

Do you guys think this is enough? I will add more once I get ack from class but I am in kind of a hurry and wanted to post this before I forgot to.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your goal?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how intense it is will determine if it's enough.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monday - Chest/Back
Wednesday - Legs/Abs
Friday - Shoulders/Arms

?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should be fine so long as you aren't shooting for drastic changes. Three days should be enough lifting if:

A) the lifts you do on those days don't suck (i.e. no programs built around bicep curls and sit-ups)
B) you do something, anything really, physically on your non-lifting days
C) your diet is in check. What you do in the gym isn't going to matter a whole lot if diet sucks. Lots of protein, veggies, fruits, whole grains. Limited processed foods.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So long as you are squatting on all 3 days IMO.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're doing any decent amount of weight, I would strongly advise AGAINST squatting 3 times a week.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
If you're doing any decent amount of weight, I would strongly advise AGAINST squatting 3 times a week.

Why is that? Because I squat 3 times a week.

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Should be fine so long as you aren't shooting for drastic changes. Three days should be enough lifting if:

A) the lifts you do on those days don't suck (i.e. no programs built around bicep curls and sit-ups)
B) you do something, anything really, physically on your non-lifting days
C) your diet is in check. What you do in the gym isn't going to matter a whole lot if diet sucks. Lots of protein, veggies, fruits, whole grains. Limited processed foods.

a)Generally all the sets will be until i cant do anymore. There arent max reps of 15, or 12, 10, 8. Its until im too fatigued to go anymore. Keep in mind there are NO free weights (no dumbells, barbells, benches etc.) So there is no worry for a spotter
b) Mon-Weds I do the workouts, usually Thursday I keep as a free day, and then interval training on Fri, Sat, Sunday.
c) I try to always eat as healthy as I can, veggies over fries, fruit over candy etc. I drink soda MAYBE once every month? Otherwise its always water, monster energy drink if its an early day or a late night. (Monster khaos - 50% juice) Im not shooting for DRASTIC changes, just changes to make me lose a few pounds, turn some fat into muscle yah know.

Originally Posted by turbozed

I dont/cant squat 3 time a week. Theres no bars to squat with
frown.gif

Edit: Sorry on the second quote quoted wrong guy haha. And the reason I pile abs/legs/back on the same day is because of how little the gym has to do all 3 of those parts. There might be 2 machines for legs, 1-2 for abs, and then 3 or so for back.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed

Congratulations. And who exactly are you? If you're just starting out, there's nothing wrong with squatting that often, but like I said, if you're squatting any reasonable weight like over 300lbs, squatting that much is not giving your muscles any time to recover and your progress is going to be minimal.

turbozed

Reaction score
What makes you think the energy drink is that much better for you than a soda?

Coca Cola = 36g of sugar
Monster = 34g of sugar

I'd just buy some 200mg caffeine tabs (they're like 2 cents each) and drink that with juice. Even juices are just sugar water. Simple sugars = not good for you.

turbozed

Reaction score
Congratulations. And who exactly are you? If you're just starting out, there's nothing wrong with squatting that often, but like I said, if you're squatting any reasonable weight like over 300lbs, squatting that much is not giving your muscles any time to recover and your progress is going to be minimal.

Yes I plan on switching to a regular 5x5 program when my squats reach over 300lbs. I'd say the vast majority of lifters fit into the category of 'beginner' though (certainly most don't squat 300 lbs below parallel) so your recommendation of not squatting 3 times a week *without qualifications* was questionable. As far as the audience here specifically, maybe only you and the other dude in the steroids thread are beyond beginner phase.

The threadstarter seems like a beginner to me based on his 'standard' newb bodybuilding program of 2.5 days upper body and 0.5 days lower body so I think he'd be one of the people who'd probably benefit from squats.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if you guys are beginners, maybe you should be willing to listen to some of us who are intermediate or advanced lifters. I don't know about the other guy, but I'm more than willing to help and give advice because when I first started out, I thought I knew everything. I only wish I had the knowledge about nutrition and lifting that I have today back then. Heck, the amount of stuff I know today compared to three months ago is night and day.

Doing any exercise that often (especially a compound lift like a squat) is a recipe for a quick plateau. You're simply not giving your muscle enough time to recover and grow, and you're going to find yourself stuck at that weight for a long time. After my leg day (squats, sumo deads, lunges), I can barely walk. I couldn't imagine squatting 3 times a week. I do, however, crouch to a 45 degree angle with my back against the wall for 60 seconds (usually 3 reps) a few days after my leg day as it's a good way to work the core and stabilizer muscles. Maybe instead of squatting 3 days a week, you could do a regular 5x5 on monday, the crouch on Wednesday, and 100 body weight squats on Friday? My usual squat routine is a 5x5 and then heavy doubles or singles.

turbozed

Reaction score
Well if you guys are beginners, maybe you should be willing to listen to some of us who are intermediate or advanced lifters. I don't know about the other guy, but I'm more than willing to help and give advice because when I first started out, I thought I knew everything. I only wish I had the knowledge about nutrition and lifting that I have today back then. Heck, the amount of stuff I know today compared to three months ago is night and day.
I don't know where you're getting the impression that I wasn't willing to listen to what you were going to say. If you go back, I legitimately asked a question and didn't intend any contentiousness with it. As for my routine, I'm basically following a basic Starting Strength routine that has me squatting at every workout (which means I squat 3 times a week). Since I'm doing SS, I'm not doing any assistance exercises for squats, however (which means I've never experienced the type of soreness you speak of). I haven't lifted weights prior to the past few months for a loooong time (maybe 5+ years) and even then I never worked my legs/back very much. So far I haven't plateaued, and I've added 90 lbs to my squat in the past two months. To increase my recovery I've been taking some creatine and beta alanine and getting a lot of rests in between days. I don't plan on changing it up just yet, but when do you think would be a suitable time to switch programs? When I reach a 2x bodyweight squat? Also, what are some signs that I might be able to feel to know I'm overtraining? If I feel any soreness from the previous workout before doing it again? Or is a little soreness from previous workout OK? Just to make sure this time, please know there is still no contentiousness intended in this post.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a newbie and squat 3x a week just fine. I don't understand the fear of a fast plateau though. If I'm going to plateau, I'm going to plateau aren't I? I'd rather do it sooner rather than later, and then move onto another routine.

Been doing stronglifts 5x5 for a month now and love it. Squatting 3x a week is tough as hell, but you have to grimace through the pain and just push through it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads