• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-button vs. 2-button suits

ChanFan

Reaction score
In the last 5+ years, the 3-button suit has become by far the most common style of men's suit, even though 10 or 15 years ago it was a relative rarity in good American men's stores. It seems as if stores have carried almost nothing but 3-button suits the last few years. This season for the first time in a few years, I have been noticing the reemergence of the 2-button on the racks. I saw quite a few yesterday while shopping at the Bergdorf's Men's Store. I hope that the 3-button is not on its way out to be remembered a decade or so from now as something emblematic of the late 1990's/early 2000's because: A) I feel like I look better in 3-button suits and B) because I have bought nothing but 3-button suits the last four or five years. Is the 3-button suit goiing to begin to look "yesterday"?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The three button suit's current ubiquity might make it look dated to some people, but it's a classic look. I don't think a classically styled three button suit in a normal navy or charcoal fabric, will ever become the 2000s equivalent of the wide shouldered, boxy, super-low gorge db or two buttons of the 80s. Could be famous last words, though.
lookaround.gif
What makes me worry is the sportscaster test. Generally - though not always - if every sportscaster on a panel show is wearing essentially the same clothing, it's time to move on. I also like how I look in 3 buttons. Higher set lapel two button suits can be just as flattering as the standard stance three button, in my opinion, which has been informed by months of looking at higher end suits and the influence of the style forum. EDIT: I'll get to 100 posts eventually...

@riss

Reaction score
i hope the 3-button isn't on the way out, but GQ heralded the helmut lang 2-button as the modern suit du jour, for whatever thats worth...

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For decades until the 1950's, most single breasted suits were three button. The two button rose, fell, and is now in the process of resurrection. Hardy Amies, the now-deceased English designer, wrote an excellent book titled "The Englishman's Suit" in which he stated that in men's clothing these cycles seem to take twenty years.

I personally prefer the three button front for country/weekend suits and odd jackets, and double breasted and two button single breasted with waistcoat types for the city.

Will

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By God I hope the three button doesn't go out as I've purchased several suits and about 15 sport coats in the last two years. I don't want to replace all of them. I also think they look better than their two button counterparts.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
My preference; the 3 roll 2. And a waistcoat.

I hope that the 3-button is not on its way out to be remembered a decade or so from now as something emblematic of the late 1990's

I hope the late 1990's version of the 3-button, the ventless, too-high buttoning monstrosity, is on its way out. I welcome the ascendance of the double-vented english styled suit to mainstream  men's dressing.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really do not think button positioning matters. What matter is fit of the jacket. If the jacket fits well, and the length of the jacket goes well with your body, I think u can wear 1,2 , 3 button suit in any year ...

ROI

Reaction score
Shoreman 1782's comment about sportscasters is on the mark. The version of the three-button suit they are wearing, with the lapel rolling above the top button, is the one that will be marked as peculiar to the years just before and after 2000.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm .. I create my own style really. With classic 2 or 3 button suit.. and get fancy with shirts and other accessaries.. No sportscaster will dictate how i coordinate sartoria.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My preference; the 3 roll 2. And a waistcoat.
Quote:
I hope that the 3-button is not on its way out to be remembered a decade or so from now as something emblematic of the late 1990's
I hope the late 1990's version of the 3-button, the ventless, too-high buttoning monstrosity, is on its way out. I welcome the ascendance of the double-vented english styled suit to mainstream  men's dressing.
Right-on with that. Late 90's saw a lot of 3-button suits with very short lapels. When I first gained interest in fashion, I liked the look - but now I see it as one of those things worn by guys with not a lot of taste. In the words of LA Guy - the American Jackass. I prefer a 3-button with a very nice roll down to the second. Or a high-stance two buton.

13South

Reaction score
I think you're more likely to see a three button than a two button suit today.  Its become the standard.  Thing is, the styling is really best for those who are tall.  This is especially true since so many three button suits are buttoned so darn high, with the top button just a few inches below the neckline.  I think its better to only button the center button.
Two button suits are certainly coming back as a nice alternative.  They aren't as common and are a bit more refreshing.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to complicate matters, I picked up a one-button suit by Armani ("soft" model) in black fabric and love it. It triples as a suit, tuxedo, and casual jacket.

ChanFan

Reaction score
The sportscaster test is an excellent idea. It does seem that just about anybody you see in the media now days is wearing a 3-button suit. Many of these are people I would not describe as well-dressed, and that does not bode well. I hate to think of some of the beautiful suits I've gotten in recent years looking like anachronisms. I must say, though, that the 3-button with side vents is a classic enough style that I can't imagine it ever looking the way something from the late eighties looks now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics