• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 button, 2 roll???

killercadi

Reaction score
What is a 3 button 2 roll?? Can u do a regular 3 button suit this way???

playdohh22

Reaction score

negusnegas

Reaction score
It is simply a three button suit with a lapel that rolls over the first button thus appearing as if the jacket is in fact a 2 button jacket. I believe the Italian makers are quite fond of this. Why I don't know but I am sure there are plenty of folks on here that do. At least to my knowledge that's the process.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by killercadi
What is a 3 button 2 roll?? Can u do a regular 3 button suit this way???

the lapel rolls to the 2nd (i.e. middle button), such that you can't really use the top button, since that button ends up on the underside of the roll. You can always just button the middle button of a 3 button suit, but it is not a 3 to 2. You also can't make a standard 3 button suit to a 3 to 2 roll after the fact. My understanding is that the roll is made during the construction process.

Siggy

Reaction score
Sure you can use the top button in a 3 to 2 roll. You have the option to use the top two buttons or just the middle button, and the jacket looks good either way. The lapels roll very nicely to the middle button if the jacket is done right, but if you want more of a closed look (or if you are cold) you can button the top as well.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
Sure you can use the top button in a 3 to 2 roll. You have the option to use the top two buttons or just the middle button, and the jacket looks good either way. The lapels roll very nicely to the middle button if the jacket is done right, but if you want more of a closed look (or if you are cold) you can button the top as well.

I don't think you can. In a true 3 to 2 roll, the button and the corresponding button hole on the other lapel are under the roll. If you try to button it, the roll is thrown off and looks bad. I know, I tried it to see what it would look like...unless mine was made wrong.

You might be able to get a way with this with a 3 to 2 1/2 roll.

Siggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I don't think you can. In a true 3 to 2 roll, the button and the corresponding button hole on the other lapel are under the roll. If you try to button it, the roll is thrown off and looks bad. I know, I tried it to see what it would look like...unless mine was made wrong.

You might be able to get a way with this with a 3 to 2 1/2 roll.

Well, it would be interesting to hear from others on this, since in my experience with various such suits (which I take to be 3 to 2) I've always been able to button the top button as well and it looks fine, though I usually just button the middle.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^I'm by no means an expert, and I too would be interested in others thoughts on this. I see pics of what are called "3 roll 2" jackets on dress forms, and I would agree that it appears you can button the top with no problem. Not sure if (1) it's because the jacket is on a dress form and the lapel is not necessarily rolling properly, (2) it's not a true 3 roll 2 or (3) I'm wrong and you should be able to button the top of a 3 roll 2 no problem (but then that defeats the purpose of the roll to the 2nd button, I would think).

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 3-roll-2 blazer whose chest canvas is cut to allow the roll to the second button and the top buttonhole is hand sewn with the more finished side toward the nominal "inside" of the jacket (the side that would face in if all 3 buttons were fastened). Therefore, the more finished side of the buttonhole shows only when the top button is unbuttoned and the lapel is allowed to roll to the second button, exposing the "inside" of the top buttonhole by making it face out. I've never worn the jacket with the top button fastened, but I suspect the lapel roll would look "off" and the unfinished side of the top buttonhole would certainly show. Thus,my blazer is designed for the top button to remain unfastened.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads