• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3/6 Friday Challenge: Reverse Security Guard

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, Gang. It's been a while so let's get things moving again.

In this challenge, we will address two long standing forum aversions: navy trousers and gray jackets. The security guard look or menswear uniform consists of a navy jacket and gray pants. It's a well known staple. Why shouldn't the converse work?

The challenge: wear navy pants and a gray jacket. The jacket and/or pants can be patterned. Tie not required. Fit must be recent. Within the last two weeks or so. Submit fits by March 6th.

As a reminder, the winner must create and administer the poll for the next challenge or at least proactively find someone else to do so. Let's keep these going. Enjoy.

1582817730843.png

1582817761415.png

1582817840420.png

1582817929098.png

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure I own any gray jackets other than suit jackets. Will check and get back. Sounds like a fun challenge.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure I own any gray jackets other than suit jackets. Will check and get back. Sounds like a fun challenge.
I wore a gray jacket yesterday that was part of a suit. It was undarted with lapped seams. It’s fairly casual. I have a Washington sport coat from Suit Supply that every one thinks is a suit jacket, but it‘s not. It’s all about how you work it IMO. I personally have little qualms with suit jackets being worn as sport coats of it looks good. It’s not categorically wrong.

SSSPERF

Reaction score
Was pleased with a gray tweed riding coat with elbow patches and leather throat latch plus shoulder darts with heavy weight dark blue woolly pants with pleats and cuffs. Great country look plus warm for winter. Added dress black boots and a textured tie with a button down white and blue striped shirt. Got a few compliments.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was pleased with a gray tweed riding coat with elbow patches and leather throat latch plus shoulder darts with heavy weight dark blue woolly pants with pleats and cuffs. Great country look plus warm for winter. Added dress black boots and a textured tie with a button down white and blue striped shirt. Got a few compliments.
Got pictures? This is the Internet. Pictures or it didn’t happen.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Pics or.........

_92276035_istock_19861919_medium.jpg

ClassicStyle1950

Reaction score
Hey, Gang. It's been a while so let's get things moving again.

In this challenge, we will address two long standing forum aversions: navy trousers and gray jackets. The security guard look or menswear uniform consists of a navy jacket and gray pants. It's a well known staple. Why shouldn't the converse work?

The challenge: wear navy pants and a gray jacket. The jacket and/or pants can be patterned. Tie not required. Fit must be recent. Within the last two weeks or so. Submit fits by March 6th.

As a reminder, the winner must create and administer the poll for the next challenge or at least proactively find someone else to do so. Let's keep these going. Enjoy.

View attachment 1345162
View attachment 1345163
View attachment 1345165
View attachment 1345167
I think the issue is that blue jackets/blazers go better with gray pants than gray jackets go with blue pants.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is the Reverse Security Guard thread but I am intrigued with the Sweater under sport coat style. I thought Sweaters/Vests were considered to be Vintage Dad. Maybe the Shoes, Socks, Watch pulls it all to 2020.
I consider myself to be a vintage dad. I'm happy with the aesthetic. Cardigan, vest, v-neck, etc. All fine by me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads