• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3/4 Length Overcoats

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yo Homies, I'm in the market for a 3/4 length overcoat to mix up my winter wear (right now my navy peacoat is the only presentable coat I have) and to wear over a suit when needed. I found this by Costume NAtional on yoox: http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?sec=1&Y...082I&areaid=35

but I am open to a bit more conservative looks but with a slim fit in tan, dark brown or Light/Medium Grey (wool, or durable blend). I'd rather not spend over $250, so some ideas on where to look for deals and such would be appreciated. I've thought of Zara but that requires a trip to G'town.

Thanks, Nigs.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being able to wear over a suit and slim fit are mutally exclusive. If a coat is large enough such that you can wear a suit underneath and move around comfortably, it will be pretty loose otherwise.

Anyway, overcoats were on clearance at Nordstrom Rack last time I was there. I'd imagine that most department/outlet stores will be trying to clear them out this time of year.

Max

Reaction score
Dtmt has it right. Just find something you like for $125 and buy one in your actual size (to fit over the suit) and one a couple sizes smaller for a tighter fit over sweaters or whatever.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Being able to wear over a suit and slim fit are mutally exclusive. If a coat is large enough such that you can wear a suit underneath and move around comfortably, it will be pretty loose otherwise.

Not true, if you have a good tailor.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Not true, if you have a good tailor.
Care to elaborate? Does your tailor put in adjustable darts or other transformer features? Especially if your suit jackets have shoulder padding it's obvious that they're going to fill out a coat much more than you in a sweater.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My suits don't have very large shoulder pads. They fit in perfectly with my overcoat. The overcoat itself has shape just like a suit jacket, so it isn't one of those flowing, baggy, bulky things. Being tall and thin also helps I guess.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
My suits don't have very large shoulder pads. They fit in perfectly with my overcoat. The overcoat itself has shape just like a suit jacket, so it isn't one of those flowing, baggy, bulky things. Being tall and thin also helps I guess.
Out of curiousity, I'd love to see photos of the same coat with and without a jacket underneith?

minhi

Reaction score
i have one from rag & bone similiar to what montecristo describes. the key is that it's a little snug over a suit and a little loose over a sweater (all my sweaters are very thin). it has a suppressed waist which helps it avoid the sack look.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With suit:

MoryCoat.2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads