• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-4 day business trip: OneShoe

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've had similar talks before, but here's something very specific:

You take a job that requires frequent 3-4 day business trips. On the trips you have normal day-to-day activities like sales calls and client meetings that require suit and tie. You also have lots of business happy hours, dinners, and social events.

Smart travelers pack as light as possible. You will only be taking two pairs of shoes TOTAL on the trip, one being athletic shoes. This means your other pair needs to be all things business/dress-casual. What do you bring?

My vote is a full strap penny in #8, similar to the popular Alden model. Ideally it wouldn't have a steel shank, but that's kind of beside the point. What do you thins offers maximum utility?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any brown shoe would be fine, assuming you are not wearing charcoal suits.

asdf

Reaction score
Dark brown wingtip/longwing
Dark brown monk

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smart shoe owners bring two pairs of dress shoes. wearing the same pair four days in a row doesn't seem worth few extra pounds in your carry-on. sorry for breaking your hypo, but it is true.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Any brown shoe would be fine, assuming you are not wearing charcoal suits.

Wouldnt burgundy be better? It goes with anything other than black.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never found an occasion in which dark brown shoes did not serve just as well as burgundy. They are both very versatile. That being said, I have never much liked the look of burgundy shoes with a charcoal suit.

hangthree

Reaction score
A black monkstrap works for me...from suits to jeans.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really would depend on what you plan on wearing during the 4 days.

But to give a boiler-plate suggestion, I would say some dark brown oxfords or cap-toes. It seems like the most versatile option, for both casual and business situations. I don't think loafers would work best if one is in a formal business situation.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You forgot to count the pair on your feet.

So there's the extra pair to consider.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
smart shoe owners bring two pairs of dress shoes. wearing the same pair four days in a row doesn't seem worth few extra pounds in your carry-on. sorry for breaking your hypo, but it is true.
Yep, two pair of dress shoe. If bringing slip-ons, wear those through security, otherwise wear the athletic shoe.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was my life for a stretch...

I brought my brown double monks and a brown captoe. Both worked with suits/sportcoats and with jeans.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is with SF?

Black shoes! BLACK! Black goes with everything! Black is conservative! Black is the universal standard!

captoe, loafer if you need the comfort/travel bonus, whatever...

Weirdos.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
What is with SF?

Black shoes! BLACK! Black goes with everything! Black is conservative! Black is the universal standard!

captoe, loafer if you need the comfort/travel bonus, whatever...

Weirdos.

lol, Black is too severe for a casual daytime or happy hour look IMHO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads