26 years old, pinstripe suits, what's acceptable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JCUSN, Jul 25, 2010.

1. JCUSN

JCUSN Member

I've recently become VERY fond of suits. So far I've bought a fantastic looking solid-black herringbone pattern suit, as well as a charcoal gray in the same herringbone pattern. The gray is great for staying somewhat conservative...and the black looks GREAT with a black shirt underneath to wear to parties/clubs.

I just recently found another nice black suit, and it has a very thing maroon pinstripe in it, as well as two VERY VERY faint tan/yellow pinstripes on each side of the maroon pinstripe. I wish I had a pic to show:/

My question, is a black suit with pinstripes like this suitable for someone my age, or for anyone at all!? I'm picturing the suit with a matching maroon shit underneath it. I just don't want to go out and look like a tool. I'm having this suit made to wear for my birthday celebration in Vegas.

2. svelten

svelten Senior member

Always felt pinstripes were a little too showy, more appropriate for someone in management level. Also you do already have a black suit which is not the most versatile of colors, maybe consider a navy to diversify the wardrobe?

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

You're not gonna get any love for that post. Pet hates of StyleForum include:

*Black Suits
    *Black shirts with black Suits
    *People who post about the above when reading just two or three threads would show them how much they are hated.

If you want to avoid a shitstorm just close the thread and read the forum.

4. JCUSN

JCUSN Member

Wow...I didn't know anyone would hate on a black on black suit. I saw Bradley Cooper wearing the black suit with black shirt in the movie The Hangover and I thought it looked absolutely pristine...that's why I bought mine.

Perhaps a navy color would be better, however. I guess I don't need yet another black suit.

Can anyone recommend a good pinstripe color for the Navy suit? I want something flashy, but not something ridiculous. This is for VEGAS[​IMG]

5. JCUSN

JCUSN Member

Also, are vests in style with suits? In a party/going-out environment?

6. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Member

Surely the vest would make you get really warm if you're out partying?

7. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ Brad Pitt always wears a vest with his black suits

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Also, are vests in style with suits? In a party/going-out environment?

They were the best things this season...

Every designer had one or two three button suits in their collections...

Will this 3 button galore survive next year in the fashion world?

It is a very conservative look and I like it ...

9. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

You will look great in Vegas. You will look like a putz in a professional, white-collar, suit-wearing office anywhere outside the Midwest.

10. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

^^ Brad Pitt always wears a vest with his black suits

With his Tom Ford suit

11. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

They were the best things this season...

Every designer had one or two three button suits in their collections...

Will this 3 button galore survive next year in the fashion world?

It is a very conservative look and I like it ...

3 button or 3 piece?

12. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Well first congrats on adapting and becoming mroe fond of a maturer state of fashion. As afr as the suit goies black is usualy a bad choice for a suit but in thsi case with the hint of maroon in it I think it will work. Pinstripes are a great and classic style of suit and there is no age limit on that, perfectly acceptable for a man of your age. The maroon might hinder what will go with it a bit but you will look just smashing in it I suspect.

13. btinl

btinl Senior member

I've recently become VERY fond of suits. So far I've bought a fantastic looking solid-black herringbone pattern suit, as well as a charcoal gray in the same herringbone pattern. The gray is great for staying somewhat conservative...and the black looks GREAT with a black shirt underneath to wear to parties/clubs.

I just recently found another nice black suit, and it has a very thing maroon pinstripe in it, as well as two VERY VERY faint tan/yellow pinstripes on each side of the maroon pinstripe. I wish I had a pic to show:/

My question, is a black suit with pinstripes like this suitable for someone my age, or for anyone at all!? I'm picturing the suit with a matching maroon shit underneath it. I just don't want to go out and look like a tool. I'm having this suit made to wear for my birthday celebration in Vegas.

Seems like a good plan.

14. Chim12

Chim12 Senior member

You're not gonna get any love for that post. Pet hates of StyleForum include:

*Black Suits
    *Black shirts with black Suits
    *People who post about the above when reading just two or three threads would show them how much they are hated.

If you want to avoid a shitstorm just close the thread and read the forum.

+1. Can't believe it hasn't started yet?

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

You will look great in Vegas. You will look like a putz in a professional, white-collar, suit-wearing office anywhere outside the Midwest.

You can't wear a striped suits in American offices? You guys are a bunch of degenerate sheepfuckers.