• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Last edited:

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're in HK aren't you? The store has this whole book of very good quality white fabrics. Most of them are made of quite substantial threads and probably aren't see-through

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
actually, there is a veritable wall of swatch books there. and all the books there have white fabrics i'm sure.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
You're in HK aren't you? The store has this whole book of very good quality white fabrics. Most of them are made of quite substantial threads and probably aren't see-through

Yes, but I find it usually difficult to tell how a finished shirt will look based on a small square swatch, especially when it comes to the judging the transparency.

Rolo

Reaction score
One good way to judge transparency is to hold something dark behind the fabric, like a dark piece of cardboard or a darker cloth. This will allow you to see the relative transparency between the fabrics.

One fabric you should check out is Dobby #155. I haven't seen the white, but I have this in blue and there's likely no way this would be transparent. Plus, I absolutely love the material (in fact, I'll be wearing this shirt today).

Also, if you are going to stop by Ricky's store, I'll buy you a shirt if you get him to move on my order of 5 November. I sent in an order for 9 shirts. I also sent an email on 23 November modifying the style for shirt #8.

Rolo

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the comments. Rolo, private me your order info and I'll see if I can mention it to them in my next visit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads