• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

24 year old learning to dress

Thetam

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Tony and I'm 24 years old. I'm rebuilding my wardrobe and would like some advice on where to start. For most of my life, I was a big guy I was over 300lbs and I'm used to wearing jeans and big graphic t-shirts. I've lost 100 lbs and I'm starting to learn about fitment and how to dress.

I want to put effort into how I look, I don't want to dress like a teenager forever. Where would you guys start?

I'm interested in buying shoes right now. I've been reading about dress shoes to go with jeans, it would be a bonus if I could wear them with a suit in the future. What would you guys recommend? I'm interested in suggestions for all clothing

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
Just go with the flow man. Start finding brands (and styles) that catch your attention. I was a bit of a big boy too up until late '17. I was a "Sneaker head" but then figured why wasnt i ever focused on the rest of my outfit. Started off with Stussy, Billionaire Boys Club, GAP. Now i have Alexander Wang and Margiela apart of my closet. So like i said before just start seeing what different brands have to offer in clothing. And also try to find your set style (or experiment with many) Prep,Street, Formal, Business Casual, Smart Casual, Techwear, Avant Garde, Grunge, Americana. etc.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Start with shirts/pants. Make sure your jeans fit well - you don't want baggy jeans anymore, especially in the butt. Same with shirts. Ditch the graphic tees. A few solid tees (Banana republic has some great and soft cotton tees) are OK but only as part of your wardrobe. Start incorporating more button down shirts.

Also, make sure your belt/shoes match in color - they don't have to match in shade exactly but if you have light brown shoes, you should have a light brown belt. Black shoes or boots, a black belt.

Buying nicer shoes for casual wear can be a good idea but they have to be functional for what you're doing and how you live. Mid to dark brown shoes are going to be the most versatile. Leather soles look the nicest but are designed for clean pavement and indoors. Rubber soles are better suited for non clean pavement, grass, dirt etc.
Also, as you move into better shoes it's important to realize leather needs a break - if you're wearing the shoes constantly throughout the day they need a break to dry/air out so you need to alternate them.

What you're going to find is: one pair of shoes/boots just doesn't cut it when you want to leave the sneaker world behind. Specific recommendations require more information:
1. What is your realistic budget for shoes? Note: people on this site will recommend $500 or $1000 options - for many 24 year olds, that's not realistic. So, we have to know your specific financial situation.

2. What's the fall and winter weather like where you live? Warm and dry you can wear leather soles longer but wet and snow and rubber soles are more practical for casual wear.

Thetam

Reaction score
Start with shirts/pants. Make sure your jeans fit well - you don't want baggy jeans anymore, especially in the butt. Same with shirts. Ditch the graphic tees. A few solid tees (Banana republic has some great and soft cotton tees) are OK but only as part of your wardrobe. Start incorporating more button down shirts.

Also, make sure your belt/shoes match in color - they don't have to match in shade exactly but if you have light brown shoes, you should have a light brown belt. Black shoes or boots, a black belt.

Buying nicer shoes for casual wear can be a good idea but they have to be functional for what you're doing and how you live. Mid to dark brown shoes are going to be the most versatile. Leather soles look the nicest but are designed for clean pavement and indoors. Rubber soles are better suited for non clean pavement, grass, dirt etc.
Also, as you move into better shoes it's important to realize leather needs a break - if you're wearing the shoes constantly throughout the day they need a break to dry/air out so you need to alternate them.

What you're going to find is: one pair of shoes/boots just doesn't cut it when you want to leave the sneaker world behind. Specific recommendations require more information:
1. What is your realistic budget for shoes? Note: people on this site will recommend $500 or $1000 options - for many 24 year olds, that's not realistic. So, we have to know your specific financial situation.

2. What's the fall and winter weather like where you live? Warm and dry you can wear leather soles longer but wet and snow and rubber soles are more practical for casual wear.

Great advice thank you I appreciate it.

I've been working on trying different jean fits but I can't seem to get it right. I've tried Levi 511s and 541s and I find they are too tight because I have big thighs and calves.

I actually just picked up a couple of black t-shirts from Banana Republic they fit great

I started buying button down shirts (jcrew, banana republic) to go with jeans but this is where I get lost what colours should I go with?

I'm doing ok financially I recently sold off my belongings from a past hobby in the interest of moving forward in life.
I would be willing to spend $500 if the value is there but I find it's a lot for someone just getting started if there is a better value alternative I would be open to it. But I do see a lot of people on here recommend Allen Edmonds so that's what I've been researching.

Fall is warm until late with a little rain but its rare. Winter will get very cold for a few months and a lot of snow

What shoes and belt would you recommend for me to start with?

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
@Thetam if you want to stick to Levi's try a 513 instead, I have big legs and that cut works well for me.

If you can't find something that fits perfectly, get something that fits in the thigh area (this will likely be the largest part) and have the rest altered by a tailor.

Thetam

Reaction score
@Thetam if you want to stick to Levi's try a 513 instead, I have big legs and that cut works well for me.

If you can't find something that fits perfectly, get something that fits in the thigh area (this will likely be the largest part) and have the rest altered by a tailor.

I'm open to all brands, I've been trying Levi's because they are available locally for me to try different cuts

I'm here to learn my mind is open

I will try the 513s next but I don't recall seeing those in any stores I've been in

Is it common for people to have to tailor Jean's? This is the first I've heard of that

Dashing Chris

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Tony and I'm 24 years old. I'm rebuilding my wardrobe and would like some advice on where to start. For most of my life, I was a big guy I was over 300lbs and I'm used to wearing jeans and big graphic t-shirts. I've lost 100 lbs and I'm starting to learn about fitment and how to dress.

I want to put effort into how I look, I don't want to dress like a teenager forever. Where would you guys start?

I'm interested in buying shoes right now. I've been reading about dress shoes to go with jeans, it would be a bonus if I could wear them with a suit in the future. What would you guys recommend? I'm interested in suggestions for all clothing
I think to try to go simple first, become best at it and then process further :)

Thetam

Reaction score
I think to try to go simple first, become best at it and then process further :)

I'm thinking the same. I am a simple guy I just want to buy the essentials first and learn the do's and don'ts. I'm working on how to match colors

Cassadine

Reaction score
Congrats on the weight loss. I'd start with the shoes. I'm a big man, an older man, and I've had bad feet since the cradle. Badly fitted clothes--unless a tight neck, or a tight crotch/seat/rise--- will unlikely hurt you. Bad shoes are the bane of not only bad outfits, but they will provoke bad foot health. Get fitted at a proper store. Fit over fashion. You can't go too wrong with an Alden LWB or a good Alden shoe/boot. The Various Alden boots will give you additional ankle support. Good luck.

Thetam

Reaction score
Congrats on the weight loss. I'd start with the shoes. I'm a big man, an older man, and I've had bad feet since the cradle. Badly fitted clothes--unless a tight neck, or a tight crotch/seat/rise--- will unlikely hurt you. Bad shoes are the bane of not only bad outfits, but they will provoke bad foot health. Get fitted at a proper store. Fit over fashion. You can't go too wrong with an Alden LWB or a good Alden shoe/boot. The Various Alden boots will give you additional ankle support. Good luck.

Thank you

After doing some reading on here I bought a pair of Red Wing's Iron Ranger 8111s. I never thought I would wear boots but I actually like them. I will look at the Alden LWB next

Duly Noted

Reaction score
Hi Tony, congrats on your weight loss! You're embarking on a worthy venture! Here's my two cents:

Pare down your existing wardrobe by getting rid of anything that's not up to the new standard and quality you're planning to attain. That way you can't fall below it.

Get a basic handle on colour-matching here: https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/mans-guide-combining-colors/

...and download some of the colour charts here:

I strongly recommend this app. You click on all the items you have in your wardrobe, then it automatically generates mix and and match ideas you may not have thought of, some you'll like and some you won't, and uses your feedback to figure out what your style preferences are. Style settings run from relaxed to dressy, weather settings run from cold to hot: Lookastic.com

Good luck.

Last edited:

Thetam

Reaction score
Hi Tony, congrats on your weight loss! You're embarking on a worthy venture! Here's my two cents:

Pare down your existing wardrobe by getting rid of anything that's not up to the new standard and quality you're planning to attain. That way you can't fall below it.

Get a basic handle on colour-matching here: https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/mans-guide-combining-colors/

...and download some of the colour charts here:

I strongly recommend this app. You click on all the items you have in your wardrobe, then it automatically generates mix and and match ideas you may not have thought of, some you'll like and some you won't, and uses your feedback to figure out what your style preferences are. Style settings run from relaxed to dressy, weather settings run from cold to hot: Lookastic.com

Good luck.

Thank You!

I've started to do that, throwing out the stuff I haven't worn all year. It's a hard thing for me because its a reminder of how far I've come but I am trying to look forwards not backwards

That's a great help thanks!

Sfroide3

Reaction score
I will try the 513s next but I don't recall seeing those in any stores I've been in

Is it common for people to have to tailor Jean's? This is the first I've heard of that

Levi's has the advantage of cuts compared to any other brand. I personnaly used to wear 511 when I was heavier even though it's a slim cut. I lost weight and now wear the 502 regular taper. It gives me enough room in the thighs.

Best bang for your bucks when it comes to shoes in my opinion: meermin / Carlos Santos / Fitzpatrick / Cobbler Union / Carmina

Allen Edmonds advantage is store availability - you can go and try the shoes. Unless if you live in NYC where you got Carmina/Meermin/Fitzpatrick/Thearmoury it's going to be online. AE is overpriced for the quality offered. I buy from the company only on sale - which comes very frenquently. Alden's reputation is for cordovan shoes. All the rest is not worth the money (for less money you have better boots from Carmina for example).

When you will be able to know your size from different brands and last you will be able to shop online sales which saves A LOT.

A good start in your "better style journey" is a nice pair of jeans. Button down shirt or Plain color T-shirt or Henley. Nice boots and matching belt. Remember that fit is the primary thing people are going to notice. If you wear a shirt that is too big even if it's a Zegnas shirt, it's still going to look sloppy. If next your are interested in more tailored garment you can decide for some wool flannel trousers for fall winter. Next a suit and dress shoes, etc.

Thetam

Reaction score
Levi's has the advantage of cuts compared to any other brand. I personnaly used to wear 511 when I was heavier even though it's a slim cut. I lost weight and now wear the 502 regular taper. It gives me enough room in the thighs.

Best bang for your bucks when it comes to shoes in my opinion: meermin / Carlos Santos / Fitzpatrick / Cobbler Union / Carmina

Allen Edmonds advantage is store availability - you can go and try the shoes. Unless if you live in NYC where you got Carmina/Meermin/Fitzpatrick/Thearmoury it's going to be online. AE is overpriced for the quality offered. I buy from the company only on sale - which comes very frenquently. Alden's reputation is for cordovan shoes. All the rest is not worth the money (for less money you have better boots from Carmina for example).

When you will be able to know your size from different brands and last you will be able to shop online sales which saves A LOT.

A good start in your "better style journey" is a nice pair of jeans. Button down shirt or Plain color T-shirt or Henley. Nice boots and matching belt. Remember that fit is the primary thing people are going to notice. If you wear a shirt that is too big even if it's a Zegnas shirt, it's still going to look sloppy. If next your are interested in more tailored garment you can decide for some wool flannel trousers for fall winter. Next a suit and dress shoes, etc.

I picked up a pair of 502 they actually fit very well definitely better than 511s or 541s

I will consider the Carmina's and Alden's I see they are recommended a lot here. My next shoe purchase will be brown dress shoes. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try on any of these shoes before I buy them.

I have the jean's taken care of, for now. I purchased a few untucked slim button-down shirts from JCrew. I'm trying to figure out which colours go well with dark wash jeans and Iron Rangers. I've been referencing the colour wheel but I don't really understand it yet. So far I have red, gray, purple, orange button-down shirts. I picked up a few black t-shirts from RW&CO and Banana Republic they fit much better than the ones I had

I think your right I'm really trying to focus on finding clothes that fit right. For now, I want to keep it simple and master the basics

Thanks for the help everyone

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads