1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

24 season premiere

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by drizzt3117, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

as much as I like 24, this show has already jumped the shark.

within the first 4 hours we have
    -Govt fighter planes shooting missles into a house in Inglewood
    -Jack going from getting off a plane after being in a chinese torture prison for 2 years and getting cleaned up, briefed, already kills 3 guys, including his close friend Curtis, which was just too silly a scenario
    -Jack getting around town so damn quick
    -a nuclear explosion in LA

I'm still watching but it's gotten to caricature level

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

-Jack going from getting off a plane after being in a chinese torture prison for 2 years and getting cleaned up, briefed, already kills 3 guys, including his close friend Curtis, which was just too silly a scenario

nuclear explosion in valencia... That's pretty damn far north...

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

are you being sarcastic?

valencia is like 30 min outside of downtown LA....i guess Magic Mountain is gone. you figure most of Burbank & the valley would have been immediately vaporized with most LA residents suffering from major radiation burns.

after the missle attack in Inglewood and the bomb blast, the entire southland would be under martial law....but i'm sure we'll see Jack going around town and interacting with people just going about their daily biz like nothing happened

remember, this is the 2nd nuclear explosion on US soil...the first was season 2 when Jack blew up the bomb in Nevada desert, thank god that rock was there so he could hide behind it and stay safe [​IMG]

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

are you being sarcastic?

valencia is like 30 min outside of downtown LA....i guess Magic Mountain is gone. you figure most of Burbank & the valley would have been immediately vaporized with most LA residents suffering from major radiation burns.

after the missle attack in Inglewood and the bomb blast, the entire southland would be under martial law....but i'm sure we'll see Jack going around town and interacting with people just going about their daily biz like nothing happened

remember, this is the 2nd nuclear explosion on US soil...the first was season 2 when Jack blew up the bomb in Nevada desert, thank god that rock was there so he could hide behind it and stay safe [​IMG]

Nah, this was a <1 KT bomb that was detonated in a building. It wouldn't cause that much damage at all. The weapon probably had a nominal yield of 1kt (they said that on the show) but it's doubtful that it would even yield that much, and then detonating it at ground level inside a concrete structure, likely in a lightly populated industrial area? Yeah, it would certainly cause some casaulties, but I would guess it would take out a couple block radius at most. Difficult to estimate but I wouldn't suspect there would be more than a couple thousand dead and wounded immediately, followed by radiation killing 10-20k more over the next 2-30 years.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

well it's a good thing you live in OC then [​IMG]

6. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

My parents live in Santa Clarita. I grew up there from 2nd grade on. Now most of my family is dead.

DAMN YOU, TERRORISTS! AVENGE MY FAMILY, JACK!

The whole episode was a weird experience. I recognized most of the shooting locations, though (as par for the course) none of them make sense when strung together (there is no "route 7", they're on San Fernando Rd one second, then on the 14 going south the next, and the Sand Canyon exit they showed is on the OTHER side of the valley from Newhall... etc). My parents work in Chatsworth, and actually saw them film the explosion in the storage lot (when the dude blew the C4 with a grenade). So "Newhall" was actually Chatsworth.

Anyway, yeah... you're "dressing the wound" and you can't get the gun out of his hand? Come on. But you have to submit to the crazy, waaaaay over-the-top nature of the show; that's half the fun! It's the testosterone version of "Gray's Anatomy". Stupid, pandering to its demographic, mindless... but look, I'm a guy. Jack Bauer is a badass (vampire bite FTW!), and tons of shit explodes! EVERY WEEK! How can I not love it?

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Yeah, LA would be a bad place for a terrorist to detonate a nuke. It's too big a spread out to do any serious damage. The targets that would cause the largest impact would be Long Beach (oil refinery and docks), 10/101/60/5 interchange downtown, Disneyland, or Hollywood, most likely. I think NYC or a East Coast city would be a much more likely target, LA is just way too spread out.

8. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can't believe Curtis is dead. Pisses me off to no end.

9. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

You very well may be right about the show "jumping the shark," but it's still more fun than 90% of TV. But he shot Curtis! who you could see really has no story arc for the writers. This was the attempt to show Curtis (and Jack) breaking from the agentic state necessary justify the killings and other things they do in the name of "following orders." They're human, they eventually have a breaking point. Conversely, the aftermath (nuclear explosion in US civilian territory) brings Jack back into the fold, like the good soldier he is.

Besides, Jack has always been a caricature. Chloe needs to kill someone this season. It's been nearly 3 years and she's due. Let her start with Milo.

10. Babar

Babar Senior member

I thought the whole situation with Ahmed was odd.
    It's not Ahmed, it's AHCKTMED! Why the father just didn't go back to the house when he got the gun from the store clerk he killed is beyond me. The first four episodes of last season were definitely cooler.

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

It's not Ahmed, it's AHCKTMED! Why the father just didn't go back to the house when he got the gun from the store clerk he killed is beyond me. The first four episodes of last season were definitely cooler.

Seriously. He could have capped ACHTMED in the dome and prevented a nuclear attack. Bastard.

12. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

I'm having trouble buying the same guy who played Kumar in that stupid movie as being this cold hearted terrorist... plus... doesn't he usually play an Indian character?

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

Hell if I know. All them Israelis are the same to me

14. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Yeah, I always get all those African countries mixed up.

15. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I'm having trouble buying the same guy who played Kumar in that stupid movie as being this cold hearted terrorist... plus... doesn't he usually play an Indian character?

The bigger problem I had was that he was supposed to be playing a 15 or 16 year old, yet appears to be in his mid-twenties.

16. javyn

javyn Senior member

OH wow. That &quot;All you Israelis&quot; line came from a ridiculous movie called Suckers about car salesmen. I just downloaded the first 10 minutes of this 24, and the bald terrorist in the van is the exact same actor in Suckers to whom that particular insult was directed!

It's a small world

edit: ok maybe not, but they sure look alike

17. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

O my god... 24 shouldn't try to be dramatic by writing parts where people are expected to act. Jack's little episode after shooting Curtis was so bad...

Also, this type of music with either the throat singing or woman singing in foreign language is so played out now. I think Gladiator started it. Now whenever there's a moment of intense sadness or shock, every score writer puts it in.

18. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Wow, Walid walked back to the Arab guys with the phone in his pocket... he should have just thrown it on the ground back where he got it? lol he just got owned.

19. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I'm finding this season is getting to be unwatchable. [​IMG]