• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

23 yr old...introduction to bespoke and mtm?

poseidon

Reaction score
Hello my refined friends:

This is my first post on this forum and the reason is that I am confused whether I should go for tailor made clothing. I am a 23 yr old student who goes to school in Boston but is from Vancouver. I only had my first glimpse into the world of suits a few years ago, and I only have two good suits in my wardrobe. A RL black label and a prada, both bought on sale during holiday season, and both costing around 1000 dollars, I've had the sleeves and the pant leg shortened on both.

I really like the slim, tapered fit of the suits that are in trend right now, and the thought of bespoke/mtm never crossed my mind until i decided to visit my aunt in Shanghai. I browsed the web for things to do, and tailors like Dave's and Chan's popped up.

I know that bespoke suits are definitely a notch up from even the best off the rack designer suits...but in my limited experience with the sartorial art, i can't fathom the specific benefits: the suits i purchased fit me perfectly, the color compliment my skin, and i love the style, what could possibly be better? You could probably to tell me to go get a suit tailor made first, and then I would know, but there's some clarifications that I would like to seek, and if my learned friends can enlighten me, then my thanks.

1. It seems to me that reputable tailors churn out very traditional cuts and styles. I am only 23 years old, and do not want to end up with a suit that could belong to a banker or politician. I would love to have something that would work for dates or social occasions...Would the slim/avant-garde look be something that a top tailor is willing to compromise on?

2. can someone explain the fabric system? with its "super" designation, and the number after it? are there any fabrics that are head and shoulders above the rest?

gratefully,
Howe

dsmolken

Reaction score
You might start small, especially if you plan to be back in Shanghai sometime later. Get just a couple of shirts and a pair of trousers. You'll either see the difference and decide this is the way to go for your future wardrobe, or decide to stick with RTW. I now go with MTM for most of my clothes, but I'm oddly proportioned.

MLIW

Reaction score
I think it might be worth visiting a bespoke tailor? with him looking through the different fabrics. He will be able to determin what is best for your shape. and how slim etc he can make the material. There is nothing worse then a suit which is to tight, due to th wearer wanting "slim look!"

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poseidon
I know that bespoke suits are definitely a notch up from even the best off the rack designer suits...

This is not true at all. There are tons of threads here showing horrible bespoke items, and also many posts with top notch off the rack looks. If you don't know what you want then bespoke can go very very wrong.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poseidon
I know that bespoke suits are definitely a notch up from even the best off the rack designer suits.

Definitely NOT true in all cases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads