• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

23 Year Old Looking to Improve Wardrobe

deehan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently a 23 and looking to change out and improve my wardrobe. I currently have many core items such as layer clothes, boots, nice/running sneakers and jeans. I am trying to find some other items. Would love brand recommendations or any pieces that can diversify a closet and just a heads up I have the same amount of money as an average 23 year old (not much) but I will spend a little extra if I like the piece. Thanks.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think J Crew will give you some of the wardrobe diversity you’re looking for. Forever on sale and pretty decent quality.

Panama

Reaction score
Lands End for Chino's, Polo's, OCBD's

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most important thing is fit. If you want to improve your wardrobe, JCrew and Banana Republic are good places to look. BUT, you want to get shirts and pants that fit your build. JCrew tends to be very slim fitting. Great if you're a very slender person. Not great if you're not. For me, their shirts don't fit my shoulders well. I would start by finding a couple pairs of chinos that fit you well. And, here's an important thing - if off the rack (OTR) lengths don't fit you exactly, then buy long and take to a tailor. Having chinos that are bunched up on your shoes just looks sloppy. Then, you'll want some long sleeve button down shirts. Here you want to make sure you find a brand/fit that fits you well - you don't want the shirt too loose and sloppy but unless you're razor thin you don't want it too form fitting. Getting to a point where you have a good 5 button down shirts and at least 2 chinos and a few pairs of nice denim jeans (again that fit you well - not baggy, not too long) and you'll be on your way.

Subidoc

Reaction score
Fit and finish are key. At your age Brooks Brothers is a bit too classic so you can try Bonobos and Charles Tyrwhitt. Personally, I am of a lean stature, and compared to the others, find Milano shirts from BB to still offer some room on the sides. I shop for what I think I will wear regularly. My advice is have few good items that serve you well and accessories like vests, shoes and ties can really change the look. Typically, by the time I donate my shirts, I have worn them for at least 5 y, they are still in excellent shape, and cost of ownership to me is less than $10 per year. Trousers may be a little more. Denims definitely less.
YMMV.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I believe BB Red Fleece was created as an entry point, both pricing and style, for just such people.

mbdakin

Reaction score
You said you have plenty of boots and sneakers–I would add in a pair of loafers to help vary the look. Penny loafers will work with any of the brands listed above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads