• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

22 now.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to try to draw attention to myself, but I'm strangely feeling decidedly different now that I'm 22 (my birthday is September 24th). I can already feel my mid 20's creeping up on me, I don't feel I can really act as stupid in public anymore or pass as a 'kid' in any sense of the word, almost like I've gained a little subconscious responsibility because my age can't be associated with partying hard - even though I never did anyway. The second '2' is like an echo that I'm 'properly' in my 20's, 2.. 2, 20's, not just testing the waters but a 'proper' adult - for lack of a better word.

How did you guys feel turning 22? Did it rock your world or change anything, is age nothin' but a number? Discuss
smile.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
things change fast. on my 21st bday i was ******* two waitresses and on my 22nd, i was living with my now wife.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
meh, after 24 everything started to make me feel old... enjoy it while it lasts haha

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Not to try to draw attention to myself, but I'm strangely feeling decidedly different now that I'm 22 (my birthday is September 24th). I can already feel my mid 20's creeping up on me, I don't feel I can really act as stupid in public anymore or pass as a 'kid' in any sense of the word, almost like I've gained a little subconscious responsibility because my age can't be associated with partying hard - even though I never did anyway. The second '2' is like an echo that I'm 'properly' in my 20's, 2.. 2, 20's, not just testing the waters but a 'proper' adult - for lack of a better word.

How did you guys feel turning 22? Did it rock your world or change anything, is age nothin' but a number? Discuss
smile.gif

i hate you with the fire of a thousand hells.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinly veiled attempt to solicit "happy birthday" messages is thinly veiled.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Not to try to draw attention to myself, but I'm strangely feeling decidedly different now that I'm 22 (my birthday is September 24th). I can already feel my mid 20's creeping up on me, I don't feel I can really act as stupid in public anymore or pass as a 'kid' in any sense of the word, almost like I've gained a little subconscious responsibility because my age can't be associated with partying hard - even though I never did anyway. The second '2' is like an echo that I'm 'properly' in my 20's, 2.. 2, 20's, not just testing the waters but a 'proper' adult - for lack of a better word. How did you guys feel turning 22? Did it rock your world or change anything, is age nothin' but a number? Discuss
smile.gif

Cracker, please. 22 is nothing. Just wait till you hit 26, which is the real quarter-life-crisis "oh ****, I'm getting old" moment. After that point, every new year feels like another horrible step closer to 30. Then you hit 30, and it's like, holy ****, this SUCKS. That's where I am right now. What I wouldn't give to be a whiny little ***** complaining about being 22 again! Also, everyone from 22-29 pretty much acts like a stupid little kid in public. Nothing's really going to change in the coming years, aside from your ability to rally during long nights of drinking. live <3 laugh <3 love <3

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dunno, maybe it was just me, but it seemed like 22-25 were really key, foundational years for my opinions/outlook, and I did the most personal/emotional/growth and maturity during those years.

25+ has been considerably more enjoyable for me than 18-25. Anyway, IMHO, 22 is nothing even to consider, you are just at your start, you aren't a kid, but you haven't really figured anything out yet either. From now is where you really start to do something, or indeed, settle into a routine of monotony and mediocrity that will last until you die.

The days will find a way to pass themselves whether you are doing amazing things or not, and you won't realize it until later. So, Carpe Diem and all that motivational crap. 22 is also, I think, when you are free to take a major chance on something you love (like, trying to be that musician or artist or whatever.) You really won't be in the same spot at 30, and jumping right into a business career, no matter how lucrative, at this age is not necessarily what I'd recommend.

Just read all the &quot;I'm 28, I'm in finance, I make $300k a year, and I want to throw myself off a building&quot; threaks.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I disagree. 22 is still a kid.
OH, I agree, but I meant I think it's the first real "start." It's not 18, not even 21. I see it as the end of university/start of your first job or first "post-school" activity, when you realize that all the dumb **** they taught you at undergrad has virtually no application to the real world. You won't actually accomplish much of anything yet, but it's the first chance (IMHO) to start a series of practices/routines/outlooks that can be of benefit later, or (conversely) a set of routines that lead you to forty in an accumulation of mediocrity that makes you go, "WTF was I doing?" p.s. 9/24 is my mom's birthday, too. She's turning 60, and after surviving late-stage breast cancer, is more active and vibrant now than ever. Just thought I'd share.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
someone once posted here that you become an adult at the point at which you solve more problems than you create. I like that definition.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
someone once posted here that you become an adult at the point at which you solve more problems than you create. I like that definition.

That's interesting... though by that definition, I don't know that I've ever met an adult.
lol8[1].gif
Maybe my Grandma, but I dunno...

spb_lady

Reaction score
someone once posted here that you become an adult at the point at which you solve more problems than you create

oh, ****...
facepalm.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

very very well stated!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Geez, how do you guys get out of bed in the morning? I'm 37, an educational administrator, have three kids, and I've never felt old a day in my life!

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Thinly veiled attempt to solicit "happy birthday" messages is thinly veiled.
laugh.gif
, maybe subconsciously, but was more me venting and seeing if anyone felt the same way.
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Cracker, please. 22 is nothing. Just wait till you hit 26, which is the real quarter-life-crisis "oh ****, I'm getting old" moment. After that point, every new year feels like another horrible step closer to 30. Then you hit 30, and it's like, holy ****, this SUCKS. That's where I am right now. What I wouldn't give to be a whiny little ***** complaining about being 22 again! Also, everyone from 22-29 pretty much acts like a stupid little kid in public. Nothing's really going to change in the coming years, aside from your ability to rally during long nights of drinking. live <3 laugh <3 love <3
Well at least I have something to look forward to then
laugh.gif
confused.gif
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I dunno, maybe it was just me, but it seemed like 22-25 were really key, foundational years for my opinions/outlook, and I did the most personal/emotional/growth and maturity during those years. 25+ has been considerably more enjoyable for me than 18-25. Anyway, IMHO, 22 is nothing even to consider, you are just at your start, you aren't a kid, but you haven't really figured anything out yet either. From now is where you really start to do something, or indeed, settle into a routine of monotony and mediocrity that will last until you die. The days will find a way to pass themselves whether you are doing amazing things or not, and you won't realize it until later. So, Carpe Diem and all that motivational crap. 22 is also, I think, when you are free to take a major chance on something you love (like, trying to be that musician or artist or whatever.) You really won't be in the same spot at 30, and jumping right into a business career, no matter how lucrative, at this age is not necessarily what I'd recommend. Just read all the "I'm 28, I'm in finance, I make $300k a year, and I want to throw myself off a building" threaks.
Sadly enough I'm still due to enter and hopefully finish uni years thanks to some poor life decisions when I was younger, but I do feel the same way - that this is the time for contemplation and evaluation in one's life. I mean no disrespect for those older than me, but I definitely feel like I've past the 'kid' phase now, and like I almost have an obligation to recognize where I'm heading and what I'm doing, or else continue my life being stuck on repeat. But, maybe I've overestimating the significance of age here, I guess this is what I'm curious about - if anyone else felt the same way at 22 or felt the age significant in any sense.
i hate you with the fire of a thousand hells.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads