• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

21st Birthday---- What to drink??

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I made it through the experience. It was a pretty damn good time. Live Irish folk music, drinks, friends, family.

In total: 4 Jameson's 18's, about half a Smithwicks, and somehow got conned into an Amaretto Sour.

Maybe I took it easy cause I didn't really get drunk....although I was feeling it to say the least.

Just "feeling it" is the best intoxication. You avoid the idiotic decisions of drunkeness and the boring righteousness of sobriety. Well-played.

Hugo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
What to drink out on your 21st birthday? Whatever you've been drinking out the last three years!
tounge.gif

Make that last seven years, atleast where I come from.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
how apt. I'm turning 21 in a few weeks...

GTC1187

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
Pick a drink and stick with it.

Do this. Ordering something different everytime will make you appear an amateur and a cad.

I for one enjoy a double Jack on the rocks as my preferred drink, every bar has it and its simple.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Also, it can play havoc with your stomach.

This is untrue, at least in my case. On most Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays (and sometimes 2-3 days during the week) I'll drink wine all day at work, grab a beer before I leave work, and then at the bar I usually have at least one of each of the following: A beer, a mixed drink (not necessarily a cocktail but a gin and tonic or something), a shot of tequila, and scotch.

I have yet to have my stomach be fucked up from that.

My head, most certainly.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GTC1187
Do this. Ordering something different everytime will make you appear an amateur and a cad. I for one enjoy a double Jack on the rocks as my preferred drink, every bar has it and its simple.
Bullcrap. I've never had issues with lots of different drinks. And I've been doing that with regularity. I have a friend who's been hanging out with me for the past few weekends who just turned 21 not long ago, so I've been taking it upon myself to introduce him to the cocktail world. I've made it a point to not repeat a single drink. Neither of us has ever had an issue. The only time I've had a stomach issue, it was due to quantity, not type. And if you think people are actually keeping track of what you drink each time and judging you based on it... Unless you're the guy who keeps ordering fruit daiquiris (or any other sweet **** that people would judge you for drinking as anything more than a one off), no one will care. Also, have you tried Evan Williams instead of the Jack? Aged longer, better flavor profile (IMO) and cheaper. And really, are you at a bar for simple? The entire point of such an establishment is that they stock loads of stuff and make all the random drinks so you don't have to. Bars are there so you can get your Harvey Wallbanger fix, because really, who wants to stock Galliano at home, or for trying scotches that you don't want to pay for without a taste, or for having those zombies that you just don't want to deal with making.

NonPoly

Reaction score
Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose and wine

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As someone who has done exhaustive field research (and actually, like, read a bit about the science) most of the myths about alcohol are just that. The bullshit about "mixing drinks" is stupid. All alcohol will mess you up the same because what we consume in any beverage is ethanol. Where the mixing **** comes from is when dudes do it they are usually drinking more than they normally would so of course they will get hungover. And the culprit is totally "mixing drinks".

There are other myths that should be busted and I can but that's the stupidest one and should be beaten back the most, if you ask me.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
There are other myths that should be busted and I can but that's the stupidest one and should be beaten back the most, if you ask me.

Another myth - that American light beers taste any different from each other (of course no one on here ever drinks American mass-market beer, no way). At the next party, do a blind taste test of Natty Light, Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light. Maybe add in Michelob Light - its taste is slightly different, but most people will still ******* up. Watch all the aggro dudes swear that ____ ****************, I can only drink _____ . Watch them all fail to guess a single beer right. I've begun to bet people now. It's easy money.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Another myth - that American light beers taste any different from each other (of course no one on here ever drinks American mass-market beer, no way). At the next party, do a blind taste test of Natty Light, Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light. Maybe add in Michelob Light - its taste is slightly different, but most people will still ******* up. Watch all the aggro dudes swear that ____ ****************, I can only drink _____ . Watch them all fail to guess a single beer right. I've begun to bet people now. It's easy money.

I've actually thought about starting an "alcohol myths" thread before. it would help dudes have better nights out/drunkenness.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have someone order a four-horsemen shot for you. It's very strong and about $20. It'll probably be the first and only time you ever drink it.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan

There are differences in taste and texture. I can at least tell the difference between Bud and Miller- one is overly sweet and tasteless, one has flavor. Bad flavor. And is artificially carbonated to an even more stupid degree.

Coors tastes even more watery then bud. And I haven't even touched Natty Light on principle.

Originally Posted by NonPoly
Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose and wine

Flavorless liquor straight. What's the point again?

The taste test thing is fun with vodkas too. Very, very, very few people can tell real differences. Gray Goose has an excellent marketing department.

Originally Posted by Jodum5
Have someone order a four-horsemen shot for you. It's very strong and about $20. It'll probably be the first and only time you ever drink it.

Bourbon, Jack, Cheap Scotch, and Tequila. Really? That's not strong. That's about the same strength, and has less volume, as the martinis and Manhattans the members here drink to unwind after work. And probably tastes worse, not that taste matters with shots. The point is just a fast increase in BAC.

If you want strong, somebody on Fark was describing a drink they had found in an old cocktail book. I forget the name now, but it was equal parts absinthe, gin, and brandy. Shaken and served as a standard 4 oz cocktail. As a sidenote, it apparently does not taste all that good. I guess there's are reason the classics are the classics and many other drinks are constrained to the dustbin of history.

Here's a tip for anybody interested in enjoying themselves while drinking: don't be a fratty douche who drinks just to get drunk. Enjoy the flavors. You won't find them anywhere else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics