1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

21st Birthday---- What to drink??

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Feb 8, 2008.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

As someone who has done exhaustive field research (and actually, like, read a bit about the science) most of the myths about alcohol are just that. The bullshit about "mixing drinks" is stupid. All alcohol will mess you up the same because what we consume in any beverage is ethanol. Where the mixing shit comes from is when dudes do it they are usually drinking more than they normally would so of course they will get hungover. And the culprit is totally "mixing drinks".

There are other myths that should be busted and I can but that's the stupidest one and should be beaten back the most, if you ask me.

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

There are other myths that should be busted and I can but that's the stupidest one and should be beaten back the most, if you ask me.

Another myth - that American light beers taste any different from each other (of course no one on here ever drinks American mass-market beer, no way). At the next party, do a blind taste test of Natty Light, Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light. Maybe add in Michelob Light - its taste is slightly different, but most people will still fuck it up. Watch all the aggro dudes swear that ____ tastes like shit, I can only drink _____ . Watch them all fail to guess a single beer right. I've begun to bet people now. It's easy money.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Another myth - that American light beers taste any different from each other (of course no one on here ever drinks American mass-market beer, no way). At the next party, do a blind taste test of Natty Light, Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light. Maybe add in Michelob Light - its taste is slightly different, but most people will still fuck it up. Watch all the aggro dudes swear that ____ tastes like shit, I can only drink _____ . Watch them all fail to guess a single beer right. I've begun to bet people now. It's easy money.

I've actually thought about starting an "alcohol myths" thread before. it would help dudes have better nights out/drunkenness.

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Have someone order a four-horsemen shot for you. It's very strong and about $20. It'll probably be the first and only time you ever drink it.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

There are differences in taste and texture. I can at least tell the difference between Bud and Miller- one is overly sweet and tasteless, one has flavor. Bad flavor. And is artificially carbonated to an even more stupid degree.

Coors tastes even more watery then bud. And I haven't even touched Natty Light on principle.

Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose Grey Goose and wine

Flavorless liquor straight. What's the point again?

The taste test thing is fun with vodkas too. Very, very, very few people can tell real differences. Gray Goose has an excellent marketing department.

Have someone order a four-horsemen shot for you. It's very strong and about $20. It'll probably be the first and only time you ever drink it.

Bourbon, Jack, Cheap Scotch, and Tequila. Really? That's not strong. That's about the same strength, and has less volume, as the martinis and Manhattans the members here drink to unwind after work. And probably tastes worse, not that taste matters with shots. The point is just a fast increase in BAC.

If you want strong, somebody on Fark was describing a drink they had found in an old cocktail book. I forget the name now, but it was equal parts absinthe, gin, and brandy. Shaken and served as a standard 4 oz cocktail. As a sidenote, it apparently does not taste all that good. I guess there's are reason the classics are the classics and many other drinks are constrained to the dustbin of history.

Here's a tip for anybody interested in enjoying themselves while drinking: don't be a fratty douche who drinks just to get drunk. Enjoy the flavors. You won't find them anywhere else.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

happy 21st KWilk!!

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

happy 21st KWilk!!

Thanks boo!

8. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

9. NonPoly

NonPoly Active Member

Flavorless liquor straight. What's the point again?

The taste test thing is fun with vodkas too. Very, very, very few people can tell real differences. Gray Goose has an excellent marketing department.

inebriation

Plus, Grey Goose is noticeably less harsh than other brands, enough for me to notice while sober.
    But you're kind of right. After a few drinks the brand doesn't really matter.

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

inebriation
    If that's all you're in it for, may I suggest everclear?

11. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

what should I drink on my 31st birthday? and the days in between?

14. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

15. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Also, this is one of my favorite thread resurrections.

16. whodini

whodini Senior member

I call bullshit. Even in my college days I could EASILY tell the difference between Coors Light, Hamm's, Pabst, Miller Lite, Bud Light, Olympia Gold, Genny Lite, Natty Ice, Natty Light, Old Milwaukee, etc.

The best blind taste test is during a game of Beirut. You sure as fuck notice the difference when you're chugging water disguised as Coors Light and the sweet tang of Miller Lite.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  17. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

18. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

More egly ouriet
    I call bullshit on your calling of bullshit.

1 person likes this.
  19. whodini

whodini Senior member

Kyle, I may have long ago given up my title of professional shit beer drinker but my tastebuds still remember a thing or two.

20. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member