• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

21 things your burglar won't tell you

darkdream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I used to have ADT too. Every time someone would set off the alarm (always girlfriend or myself) they would call and ask if I needed help. I told them everything was fine, I had a password that they asked for but I was normally drunk or half asleep and could never remember it. They never once sent someone to my house to see if I was a lying burglar or a forgetful occupant. I cancelled the service and kept the sign. I've decided if I ever have a break-in I'll just go rob someone else's house to recoup my losses.

I guess they alarm companies do not care over there, but here in California, they will send someone if that happens (and it has happened to me when I was in elementary school and forgot the code).

It is not a waste, if you have a big house with valuables locked way (thieves would take forever trying to carry away the safes in my house or trying to find the other valuables. Plus if the alarm goes off neighbors would notice, but I guess in more deserted places nobody would hear it.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkdream
So my house is a big target? 6000 sq- two 500+ pound safes, numerous pcs and laptops, other electronics jewelry, guns. But luckily someone is almost always home and there are weapons in every bedroom closet. Funny thing is that we leave our garage open and numerous windows open all times of the day and night (sometimes we forget to lock the door). But if a burglar came in he would almost certainly mean his death.

This all assumes that the burgular doesn't find a weapon before you are aware he's there. I have nothing against keeping guns for home protection, indeed I keep a shotgun in my bedroom closet for just such a purpose. However, every other gun in the house is kept locked with a trigger lock to which I have the key. My assumption has always been that leaving loaded guns in rooms other than my bedroom is effectively arming the person who is ostensibly coming into my house to steal, harm, or otherwise do awful things to me. The odds are slim they'll get into my bedroom closet without waking me, but there's no reason to believe I would wake up to rifling through a closet on the other side of the house.

tcnjbanker123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
This all assumes that the burgular doesn't find a weapon before you are aware he's there. I have nothing against keeping guns for home protection, indeed I keep a shotgun in my bedroom closet for just such a purpose. However, every other gun in the house is kept locked with a trigger lock to which I have the key. My assumption has always been that leaving loaded guns in rooms other than my bedroom is effectively arming the person who is ostensibly coming into my house to steal, harm, or otherwise do awful things to me. The odds are slim they'll get into my bedroom closet without waking me, but there's no reason to believe I would wake up to rifling through a closet on the other side of the house.

I agree with this. I too live in a fairly large house which is pretty spread out. As a sound sleeper I do think sometimes that someone could rob my bedroom without waking me, so several rooms away or a floor down would be a terrible place for me to leave any kind of weapon.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkdream
I guess they alarm companies do not care over there, but here in California, they will send someone if that happens (and it has happened to me when I was in elementary school and forgot the code).

It is not a waste, if you have a big house with valuables locked way (thieves would take forever trying to carry away the safes in my house or trying to find the other valuables. Plus if the alarm goes off neighbors would notice, but I guess in more deserted places nobody would hear it.

This was in Seattle, where I live. I just put Tallahassee as my location to make people think I'm from Tallahassee. Apparently, the rouse is working quite well.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dog, nosey neighbors and a riot shotgun full of number 4 buckshot next to the bed.

Burglars would do well to go somewhere else.

bigboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
I have a dog, nosey neighbors and a riot shotgun full of number 4 buckshot next to the bed.

Burglars would do well to go somewhere else.

My neighbors stay at their homes; only their wives are at the side of bed.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have a full gun cabinet and keep plastic zip-ties in every room.
Do you store the black powder with your guns, or somewhere else? I actually just heard a loudish noise. I snuck into the kitchen and grabbed my chef's knife and had a look around.

BP348

Reaction score
I've recently heard that here where I live that a lot of people who have been to this one car audio shop have experienced a rash of vehicle break ins. Gee, I wonder how that's happening.
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics