• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

21 Shot dead at Virginia Tech

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
No, but when we didn't know anything about the shooter, one had to wonder a little bit. Being a "student" even if you're 87, is a big loophole people use to get here.

I'd capitalize the word 'various'.

Why?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
No, but when we didn't know anything about the shooter, one had to wonder a little bit. Being a "student" even if you're 87, is a big loophole people use to get here.

Actually, it's not that easy to obtain an F-1 visa. Unless you are Canadian, you are required to jump through a lot of hoops, as is the educational institution you are going to attend, especially since 9/11.

Let's just call this what it is - a tragedy. A deeply disturbed individual, for reasons we can only speculate on at this point, went on a rampage. That is all.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

Let's just call this what it is - a tragedy. A deeply disturbed individual, for reasons we can only speculate on at this point, went on a rampage. That is all.

As usual, straight to the point. Thanks.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Actually, it's not that easy to obtain an F-1 visa. Unless you are Canadian, you are required to jump through a lot of hoops, as is the educational institution you are going to attend, especially since 9/11. Let's just call this what it is - a tragedy. A deeply disturbed individual, for reasons we can only speculate on at this point, went on a rampage. That is all.
+1 If you remember there have been for some years now rumblings that the growth rate of promising students applying to US universities is slowing down - or even decreasing. The increasingly hostile nature of US admissions has been blamed in the past, some people just consider it far too much of a hassle to even apply to a US university, even if (like in my case) it would be much easier to get admitted than to say a UK or German institution. And if you consider the fact that many of the breakthroughs and successful startups involve or are headed by non-US citizens, you get the picture. That is another thing that concerns many in especially the science and engineering fields, combined with the fact that it is getting progressively harder to attract young people from the USA to the fields. The late 1990's brain drain (remember that?) is being reversed, many are just up and leaving and taking with them their expertise, capabilities and knowledge. That is another reason why so many startup companies in, say, India are popping up and throwing the gauntlet to companies already entrenched in the world market. P.s. and in the mid 1990's when I applied for the visa, the process was ridiculously contrived and time-consuming - bureaucratic heaven. I cannot imagine what it is like now, even with the BCIS suppossedly having sped things up.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really believe that it is important for the US to keep bringing in foreign students. it is a great tool to teach people about the US and its freedoms. this was unfortunate, very unfortunate, but I hope this won't change the system of brining in foreign students.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I really believe that it is important for the US to keep bringing in foreign students. it is a great tool to teach people about the US and its freedoms. this was unfortunate, very unfortunate, but I hope this won't change the system of brining in foreign students.

Hopefully you are right, but history suggests otherwise...there is always a backlash, be it suicide bombers or nappy-headed hos.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Hopefully you are right, but history suggests otherwise...there is always a backlash, be it suicide bombers or nappy-headed hos.

The backlash started around 2001 - and will only get worse.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
1) This was the second college campus shooting in the US in 40 years.\\

Yes, and it was probably the first ever by a South Korean student. So what? Mass shootings in various settings occur all too frequently in the USA. Comments such as the above are exactly what I am talking about - the determined compulsion not to concede there is a larger gun-related problem which the USA is doing nothing of consequence to address.

One "similar" incident in Canada does not equate to the clearly-demonstrable trendof incidents in the USA, nor does it obviate Americans from doing something about their own problem.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is this guy's student status even an issue? From the wiki site and other news sources, this guy was a permanent resident. He did not come here through a student visa.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Why is this guy's student status even an issue? From the wiki site and other news sources, this guy was a permanent resident. He did not come here through a student visa.

I think there would be a question about gun ownership.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
What're you talking about? When was the last mass-shooting at an American university?

Apparently this the NINETEENTH multiple shooting at a school or college campus in the USA!!

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I think there would be a question about gun ownership.

News seems to say he bought the guns legally under Virginia law as a green-card resident but then they also say the serial numbers were filed off. Sort of odd.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
News seems to say he bought the guns legally under Virginia law as a green-card resident but then they also say the serial numbers were filed off. Sort of odd.

Serial numbers are not infrequently removed from firearms in preparation for use in a crime, in an attempt to avoid their being traced back to the original owner or point of sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads