• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

21 Ounce Denim

DocHunter

Reaction score
What have been people's experiences with Iron Heart's 21 ounce denim? I lreally like the fit of the 461, but I'm skeptical about such heavy denim.

Wil this make it more difficult to get good fades? Are they hot in the summer? Do they stretch as much? Do people typically order these a size or two down from their true wasit measurement?

Any help is appreciated. And if anyone has any other suggestions of other jeans with the same type of cut that would also be really appreciated.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Iron Heart's denim is a slack weave denim, meaning it will stretch over time and also breath well in warm climates. It's got a really soft and pliable hand considering it's weight, due to the cotton they use and the weave pattern of the denim.

Good fades are possible with the denim, as seen within a few of the Superfuture threads about Iron Heart, keeping in mind that more pronounced fades will occur with a slimmer fit.

The 461 is our favorite bootcut at the store because it's a slim fitting bootcut with just the right amount of flare below the knee..

Here's the site charts and such for all the jeans:
http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...index&cPath=71

chiral

Reaction score
I've got the SExIH03s and they get the most wear of all my jeans, by far. The denim is noticeably heavy (mainly the way it drapes), but its also extremely soft. I've gotten pretty good contrast fading going on mine due to the large amount of activity I do in them (a ton of biking).

The quality on the IH stuff is just phenomenal, none of my other jeans (W+H, RRL, Rogan, APC) are really at the same level.

Brutus

Reaction score
I have the 634s and a shirt from IH and the quality construction is probably the best of all the things I own. Looks and feels VERY solid. The denim is indeed heavy (literally) but isn't an issue just a plus. From my experience these haven't stretched as much as most of my other raw jeans and the fading is a little tougher to come by but when fades do start to show it seems to fade into more of a light blue color as opposed to white. It will probably turn white eventually. I like it. Feels, to me, like it's worth the $$$.

atomicranch

Reaction score
I just got a pair of 634s from Kiya. I haven't had enough experience with them yet to answer most of your questions, but I will say that the denim quality and construction is incredible.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys. Can anyone recommend me other selvage jeans with a similar cut... the low rise bootcut?

doink

Reaction score
I have had my IH's for about a month and they have become my favourite pair of jeans. They are not too hot to wear, and I think will break in nicely. Just need to get motivated to get them hemmed as I don't like the amount of stacking or doing a double roll of the cuff.

My only concern is when I do wash them they'll shrink too much, as the size is perfect.

seanchai

Reaction score
I have a pair of esef Skys which are 21 oz. and have by far the best price-to-awesome ratio of any of my jeans. The weight doesn't seem to affect the comfort at all, as they're not super stiff.

Hozer606

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread by now, but wanted to give my 2 cents. I just received my Iron Hearts from Selfedge. They are great! Heavy, yes, but in Minnesota it works just great. My waist seems to be a bit big and probably would have sized down one. I have hand soaked twice now in the past 5 days and the waist has shrunk a bit, but I will probably still have to have them taken in.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlike most of the diehard denim-heads on S&D, I'm just essentially a weekend jean wearer. I purchased a pair of the IH 634S from SelfEdge.

The quality is topnotch. The 21oz is definitely thick, but also soft.

Hozer606

Reaction score
Anyone care to help me out with this one? What is esef Skys?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads