Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by maomao1980, Sep 12, 2006.

1. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Assuming you mean a button down collar, I'd keep it at one or two buttons with rounded edges. Any more looks pretty overdone.

3. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

If you mean how many bottons on the collar, then this all depends on what look you like and how you are going to wear said shirt. I think 2 bottons (high) collar is very nice especially if you like the slim fit style. There are also 3 botton (high) collar versions and this goes down fine with many - its all up to ones personal taste, and also very importantly ones pysical shape (high collars do not look good with a low-neck person IMO). To answer your question (as Jovan allready has) the classic standard in this case is 1 botton collar

If indeed you meant how many bottons on cuff, well there again it depends on what youa re after - I prefer the higher cuff thus 2 bottons placed vertically , or even 3 botton cuff on some styles.

Bottom line is there are no rules when it comes to fashion (well, with some minor exceptions) - its a matter of personal taste (sometimes age has alot to do with it), personal character, and the ability to wear something with good taste and style

4. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes it's not a typo, I do mean how many buttons on the cuffs of a button-down collar shirt. Just was wondering if there are any conventions regarding this, i.e. suits jackets shouldn't have more than 3 buttons, etc. Thanks for all your answers.