• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Last edited:

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Assuming you mean a button down collar, I'd keep it at one or two buttons with rounded edges. Any more looks pretty overdone.

Claudio

Reaction score
If you mean how many bottons on the collar, then this all depends on what look you like and how you are going to wear said shirt. I think 2 bottons (high) collar is very nice especially if you like the slim fit style. There are also 3 botton (high) collar versions and this goes down fine with many - its all up to ones personal taste, and also very importantly ones pysical shape (high collars do not look good with a low-neck person IMO). To answer your question (as Jovan allready has) the classic standard in this case is 1 botton collar

If indeed you meant how many bottons on cuff, well there again it depends on what youa re after - I prefer the higher cuff thus 2 bottons placed vertically , or even 3 botton cuff on some styles.

Bottom line is there are no rules when it comes to fashion (well, with some minor exceptions) - its a matter of personal taste (sometimes age has alot to do with it), personal character, and the ability to wear something with good taste and style

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes it's not a typo, I do mean how many buttons on the cuffs of a button-down collar shirt. Just was wondering if there are any conventions regarding this, i.e. suits jackets shouldn't have more than 3 buttons, etc. Thanks for all your answers.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40