• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2023 50 Book Challenge

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a book thread where literati wax lyrical on the reading material they consume while attempting to read 50 books in the year
Books are discussed, reviewed and recommended and occasionally condemned. Open to all.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Unraveled: A Climber’s Journey Through Darkness and Back, by Katie Brown

Katie Brown was one of the best climbers of the mid to late 90s (second woman to climb 5.14a, national champion, World Cup winner, etc.), before she disappeared from the scene.

This book details her struggles with anorexia, suicidal thoughts and depression, and a tortured relationship with her mom during that time.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2. The Hiding Place, by Corrie ten Boom

I read this one years ago, possibly when I was in Middle School. This is the story of a family in Haarlem, Netherlands working with the resistance during Nazi occupation in World War 2; and hiding and assisting Jewish families.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. Originals, by Adam Grant

Is anyone else reading this year?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4. Meme Wars: The Untold Story of the Online Battles Upending Democracy innAmerica, by Joan Donovan, Emily Dreyfuss and Brian Friedberg

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else reading this year?
After my failure to hit the goal last year, I'm too ashamed to participate.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After many years of not really reading, I started up again. Not sure if I can do 50 but I'll keep plugging away. Funny thing was I kept buying books for awhile so I have a few to get to before shopping againg. So far this year:

1. "Being Mortal", Atul Gawande
2. "Nothing to Be Frightened Of", Julian Barnes

Currently, about a third through another book. Will update when done.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m reading but have no desire to push towards any specific # this year so I wasn’t planning to participate here.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
#1. One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Hard to say too much about this one. It helped put “magic realism” on the map and made Garcia Marquez perhaps the most celebrated Spanish language novelist since Cervantes. I re-read it every ten years or so.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
January

1) Animal Farm, George Orwell, 50th Anniversary Edition, Illustrated by Ralph Steadman. Honestly can't remember if I read this in school or not. Probably, but a long time ago if so.

2) Of Walking In Ice, Werner Herzog. I started this last year but then my daughter came over for dinner with her new Scottie pup and she ate it. So, I ordered another (book!) and started over.

3) Apropos of Nothing, Woody Allen. A memoir. If you have a strong opinion of Woody's personal life one way or the other you should do the right thing and read this. Might change your mind, might not. A wise man once said, "There are three sides to every story--his side, her side and the truth."

4) The Shards, Bret Easton Ellis. I've anticipated this book for quite some time but tried to limit my reading about it because I didn't want my experience clouded, either with spoilers or the opinions of others. I won't say much for the same reason, but if you liked Less Than Zero and American Psycho (the novels, not the movies) I can't imagine you won't enjoy this. It's been a while since I've read those, but this one seems better than either.

I need to pick up the pace to make 50 on the year. I purposefully chose Orwell and Herzog to start because they're short and I got a late start. It's off to the races, now.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
January

1) Animal Farm, George Orwell, 50th Anniversary Edition, Illustrated by Ralph Steadman. Honestly can't remember if I read this in school or not. Probably, but a long time ago if so.

2) Of Walking In Ice, Werner Herzog. I started this last year but then my daughter came over for dinner with her new Scottie pup and she ate it. So, I ordered another (book!) and started over.
Your daughter’s dog ate the homework; well you should get some credit for originality.

Thank you for helping to prime the pump.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2. Heart-Shaped Box, Joe Hill. First novel by Stephen King’s son. He’s learned some things from pop, but, best of all, he writes 400 page, instead of 1200 page, novels.

blacklight

Reaction score
1. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie (reread)

Rushdie has generally been hit or miss for me over the years but when he hits it's gone. Immensely rich work that very much toes the line of severely overwritten, though the narrative mode is very much a solid fit for the how and why of the narrator's recounting the story. There are few things like effortful magical realism.

2. If An Egyptian Cannot Speak English - Noor Naga

Indie favorite which to me is among the rare titles in recent years to have won multiple literary awards and actually be...kind of interesting? Slight, quick read, perceptive and well written albeit in the staid, minimal, and vaguely anthropological writing manner very popular among writers my age. Interesting narrative structure that kind of falls short in its conclusion. Very unsettling in parts and has left me thinking heavily about my relationships with myself and my passport.

Next: a side by side re-reading of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (foreworded by Toni Morrison) and Toni Morrison's Playing in the Dark, which contains a very influential critique/exploration of Twain's work. Rushdie's new work Victory City hopefully to follow.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet, David Mitchell.

I've read most of his earlier books and I enjoyed this one as much if not more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads