• Our featured affiliate vendor of the week is Larimars Luxury Menswear Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, specializes in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check them out and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

2022 World Cup

jack webb

Reaction score
For an American team to reach the final 16 is impressive, given that the game just isn't that big of a deal in the U.S., particularly in terms of attracting the best athletes. Really good athletes here who want to play a team sport play football or basketball. Soccer was supposedly the next big thing back when I was in high school. Forty years later, same. With demographic changes, better promotion, etc. a kid born today might live to see soccer as a top-two or top-three sport in the U.S. I don't expect to.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For an American team to reach the final 16 is impressive, given that the game just isn't that big of a deal in the U.S., particularly in terms of attracting the best athletes. Really good athletes here who want to play a team sport play football or basketball. Soccer was supposedly the next big thing back when I was in high school. Forty years later, same. With demographic changes, better promotion, etc. a kid born today might live to see soccer as a top-two or top-three sport in the U.S. I don't expect to.
We were scrappy enough to get out of the Group stage with its draws and crazy math. Facing a team like the Dutch was obviously too much for us.

I keep thinking soccer will take over as demographics change and parents don’t want their sons playing football and racking up concussions. Not holding my breath but will buy my jersey and hopefully attend a 2026 game in Philly or New York.

USA! USA! USA!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand your point but the US has a much larger population than any of the good European countries, particularly in terms of children/teens. There are 25 million in the 12-17 age group and about 30 million in the 18-24 age group in the US. The equivalent numbers in the Netherlands are about 1 million each. Even if American youth athletes enter high level soccer academies at 5% of the rate of Dutch youth athletes, the talent pool will be similar.

IMO the big differentiator is not the interest level but the quality of youth training. A highly skilled American 12-year-old is not going to enjoy anywhere near the same level of training as a Dutch 12-year-old with all of the European academies.

As the quality of MLS improves I hope the quality of US soccer academies also improves. This, more than anything else, is going to determine the future of American soccer 2-3 World Cups from now.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at what is happening in European women’s soccer—stronger domestic leagues and elite youth development. Now the US women have legitimate challengers and will be overtaken. NWSL is good but more money in Europe now I think.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at what is happening in European women’s soccer—strong domestic leagues and elite youth development. Now the US women have legitimate challengers.
Very good to see!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For an American team to reach the final 16 is impressive,

They won exactly ONE game. They backed into the final 16, in my opinion. Really not that impressive to me.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soccer was supposedly the next big thing back when I was in high school. Forty years later, same. With demographic changes, better promotion, etc. a kid born today might live to see soccer as a top-two or top-three sport in the U.S. I don't expect to.
It's the classic old joke:
Soccer is the sport of the future, and it always will be.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For a team ranked #16 to reach the top 16 is not surprising. The thing that’s surprising is that people think this team is better than the one that was ranked #4 in 2006.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You like soccer?

2 defenders... 3 deferenders

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
England - France is going to be a hell of a game.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So based on the form of the teams I’ve seen…kinda looking like France might repeat, non? This is a weak take because i know they haven’t really been tested yet…

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
France is missing several key players due to injury. That will be a problem when they face better teams.

Featured Sponsor

Corduroy…who wore it best?

• @khughes44

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • @duke santos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • @DavidLane

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • @Old Red

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • @Chadclass

Votes: 15 21.1%