• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2022 50 Book Challenge

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, if you understand what the beats were all about, and are at all sympathetic to their philosophy, the books are brilliant.

If you don’t appreciate the philosophy, no amount of trying to convince you will convince you.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, if you understand what the beats were all about, and are at all sympathetic to their philosophy, the books are brilliant.

If you don’t appreciate the philosophy, no amount of trying to convince you will convince you.

It's not that black and white. I love Gary Snyder and Lawrence Ferlinghetti. I can dig Ginsberg. I just don't like Kerouac that much.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fundamentally I am incredibly sympathetic and interested in the beat ideas. Practically I found On the Road to be an uninteresting travelogue that didn’t seem to have much of a philosophical bent at all.

Edit to add - I’m sure if I’d been alive to read this in the 60s it would’ve been something quite different. I just didn’t personally feel like there was anything inspirational about it, despite reading it with high hopes of just that.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I’m the only one here who likes travel writing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because someone else isn't such a fan of a book you liked, does not mean:
1. that they didn't understand it; or
2. that they don't appreciate the genre or category into which you would place the book.
It just means they have a different view.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
67. In the Country of Men by Hisham Matar.
I was recommended this by an feminist friend from the Middle-East, who said it was the only book written by a man that she's read that seemed to truly understand the experience of women in that region. I can't judge if that's true, but it is a beautifully written, emotionally-attuned story of families and politics in Libya, which I can also highly recommend.

I have also been dipping into a lot of poetry recently, which I won't 'count' here because it's not like you read poetry in the same way, book by book. Of particular note through, has been the sad work of reading and re-reading my late friend, Steven Heighton's Selected Poems 1983-2020. Diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, he died within 2 months earlier this year. He spent much of the winter of 2019-2020 living in our house with his partner, while we were away in Japan, and he wrote the songs that appeared on his only album, The Devil's Share, here. He was a huge loss, and I can still somehow feel his presence in this space.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have also been dipping into a lot of poetry recently, which I won't 'count' here because it's not like you read poetry in the same way, book by book. Of particular note through, has been the sad work of reading and re-reading my late friend, Steven Heighton's Selected Poems 1983-2020. Diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, he died within 2 months earlier this year. He spent much of the winter of 2019-2020 living in our house with his partner, while we were away in Japan, and he wrote the songs that appeared on his only album, The Devil's Share, here. He was a huge loss, and I can still somehow feel his presence in this space.
Sorry for your loss.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fundamentally I am incredibly sympathetic and interested in the beat ideas. Practically I found On the Road to be an uninteresting travelogue that didn’t seem to have much of a philosophical bent at all.

Edit to add - I’m sure if I’d been alive to read this in the 60s it would’ve been something quite different.

It was different then. Kerouac named and helped define the Beat generation. He became its avatar and most prominent chronicler. The importance of the idea of Kerouac as the Beat novelist was far greater than that of his actual writing. Twain’s comment on Wagner comes to mind: “Wagner’s music is much better than it sounds”.

If you were to choose one piece of literature that served as a pivot from the Eisenhower 50’s to the upheaval and cultural changes of the 60’s you could do far worse than choosing On the Road.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking. For an interesting piece of travel writing, I would encourage you to pick up uncommon carriers by John McPhee fantastoc piece of writing.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking. For an interesting piece of travel writing, I would encourage you to pick up uncommon carriers by John McPhee fantastoc piece of writing.

McPhee is great, although I haven’t read that one yet.

some other favorites:

Green Hills of Africa (Hemingway)
A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush (Newby)
In Patagonia (Chatwin)

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are so many interesting travel books, but here's 5 of my favourites, which may or may not, strictly speaking, fit the criteria:

The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Matsuo Basho
The Snow Leopard - Peter Matthiessen
Down and Out in Paris and London - George Orwell
A Sand Country Almanac - Aldo Leopold
Among the Cities - Jan Morris

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably two-thirds of the books I own are travel books. These are my favorites, though I’d also include Lighting Out by Daniel King Duane as a book that shaped my view of the world (the book is AWOL at the moment -I wore out the Santa Clara Library’s copy when I was in college).

A46BD669-C6C3-46E7-B182-29AB76DD1288.jpeg

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for Kerouac I read it when I was 21 and enjoyed it. But then I have an extensive collection of 1950’s Blue Note jazz.

As for travel writing The Songlines by Bruce Chatwin is worth reading and Ian Buruma A Tokyo Romance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads