• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2022 50 Book Challenge

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and just read of all of Salter. Sport/Pastime is really good, but try Light Years and the story collections Dusk. They are both sublime. Actually, that reminds me, there is a short documentary on Sport that is worth looking up. It was on AMZ last year, probably still available. Best to not watch the doco until you've read the book because spoilers.

Thanks for this. Reading (and loving) Dusk right now.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
My pleasure--share the love. I'm always amazed that I run into (so many) passionate readers of literary fiction who've not read him.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My pleasure--share the love. I'm always amazed that I run into (so many) passionate readers of literary fiction who've not read him.

I had read Solo Faces years ago on the recommendation of someone into the outdoors, not into literature per se. I thought it was good, but I guess not good enough to seek out more of his work. I am glad I eventually came back and read Sport.

Cotillion

Reaction score
48 - The Passenger, Cormac McCarthy

His brand new novel that came out last week. For the first 150 pages, I couldn't believe this was written by the same man who wrote The Road and Blood Meridian. After that, he pretty much abandoned any notions of a plot and the book became much more interesting. Best description I can come up with is that this is an 89 year old man's meditations on coming toward the end of life. I suppose I'm going to be stuck reading Stella Maris, the companion novel that comes out next month.
I loved The Passenger. It was such an interesting departure from his earlier work. I also started Stella Maris but after 15 pages, I decided to save it to read at a later date to save it and savor.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished this been years since I read a Booker winner. Well worth the effort
B32EA8BB-1F75-4889-BF87-95DCB9E1BCA4.jpeg

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Even though the thread is a year old, the enthusiasm for reading and taking on a book challenge is timeless. It's impressive to hear about your journey to read 50 books in a year. "Jumping Fire: A Smokejumper’s Memoir Of Fighting Wildfire" by Murry A. Taylor sounds like a captivating choice that provides insight into a unique profession. If you're still pursuing your book challenge or looking for new reading material, bookwormera.com is a great resource to discover a wide range of book recommendations and explore different genres. Keep up the fantastic reading efforts, and may your literary adventures continue to be rewarding!
Welcome! You're a year behind, but apparently '22 was much better than '23 for our readers--I know it was for me. If you enjoyed Jumping Fire (I have a few friends who became smokejumpers) check out Young Men and Fire by Norman Maclean (A River Runs Through It) about the '49 Mann Gulch fire in Montana. But don't look up Cold Missouri Waters by James Keelaghan and covered by Cry, Cry, Cry unless you need extra tears in your evening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads