• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2020 styleforum shoe revival challenge

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear members,

The competition you've all been waiting for. Get out your wallets, polishing cloths, and gas masks. The 2020 shoe revival challenge is about to commence.

The 2020 competition will amalgamate the 2018 and 2019 formats.

Rules of the challenge:
  1. Shoes can only be worked on AFTER April 1, 2020. There is no price limit. Feel free to spend as much as you want. Shoes must need revival/repair;
  2. Pictures of the pre-condition, must be time stamped and dated;
  3. All work must be done by yourself;
  4. Before and after photos must be taken - minimum 6 before and 6 after. More is fine. Less is not;
  5. Full explanation of steps taken, and work done. Points are allotted on that basis;
  6. Participants may enter more than one pair of shoes, BUT only one pair will be used for the competition. Make it clear which pair you are using for same;
  7. Contest ends October 1, 2020 at 12am EST. This longer time line is to encourage international participants who may have extended shipping times to receive shoes.
Entries page:

1. A separate entries page will be set up by end of September 2020.

Prizes: (This section will be expanding)

TBD
Top 3 finishes

$300 gift voucher from Ace Marks shoes:

Competition format

Round 1: SF members will vote for their favourites. Top 10-15 (depending on number of entries) will move on to next phase.

Round 2: A panel of judges (to be announced) will then evaluate the entries based on a set criteria. The top 3 finishes will then be chosen and announced.

----------------------------

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent!

just to be clear - shoes can be purchased any time as long as work on them does not begin before the start date?

That is correct!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New this year: At the conclusion of the challenge, I will ask all participants to mail their shoes to member @vestbash . He has generously agreed to photograph, and then sell the shoes on Ebay. Proceeds will go to a designated charity that will be announced.

I will try to look for an organization that supports people who need new clothes for transitioning into a new job, or recent graduates or immigrants who don't have money for dress clothes for job interviews.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, and good call on Ace Marks. The founder is an excellent guy!

Many more prizes on the way. Prizes for top 3 participants, and members who vote!

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. When? This pair could be my entry if I am allowed to buy them before somebody else does....

View attachment 1336692 View attachment 1336693
View attachment 1336691
Excellent!

just to be clear - shoes can be purchased any time as long as work on them does not begin before the start date?

Ugh! I had been holding off buying these until the challenge was announced. Went back today and they were gone after sitting on the shelf several weeks infecting people with viruses and making the other stock look better!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many more prizes on the way. Prizes for top 3 participants, and members who vote!

Update on prizes:

1. A shoe rebuild package from Coakleys in London Ontario;

2. $100 voucher towards shoe repair from BKB Leather in Kansas;

3. $100 voucher towards boot repair, or a new pair of boots (they carry several brands) from Northern Republic;

If any company or shop is looking to donate a prize, please contact me. Things are revving up.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pure Polish is offering prizes again.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: With Covid 19, I recognize there will be issues for people doing the work they want to do for this challenge.

For now, I'm keeping the timelines, but everything will be monitored and deadlines can be re-assessed and postponed if need be.

Wishing you all health, safety, and sanity.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to Covid 19, I am extending the deadline to December 1, 2020.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to Covid 19, I am extending the deadline to December 1, 2020.

So, we have till December 1st to purchase the shoes, and then to restore them afterwards?

Does this only involve restoration in terms of repairing, polishing, etc, or does it also include like stripping and dying them new colours?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy to see the challenge is still going on!
What does "time stamped and dated" mean?

Pictures have to show date and time

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, we have till December 1st to purchase the shoes, and then to restore them afterwards?

Does this only involve restoration in terms of repairing, polishing, etc, or does it also include like stripping and dying them new colours?

Submissions have to be made by December 1.

Restoration means whatever you want to do with the shoes. It's wide open.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads