• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2020 50 Book Challenge

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay

2. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

3. Lord of the Flies, by William Golding

4. The Tyrant's Tomb, from the Trials of Apollo series by Rick Riordan

5. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy, by John le Carre.

6. The Secret Commonwealth, by Philip Pullman

7. Magpie Murders, by Anthony Horowitz

8. Killing Commendatore, by Haruki Murakami

9. Momo, by Michael Ende

I picked this one up while we were in Japan as I needed something else to read while on holidays. I'd read Ende's The Neverending Story as a child and enjoyed it (plus seen the movie, of course) but had never read anything else by him.

Momo is a great book for children but, I think, also a great book for adults. The story concerns a society where all of the adults turn into "timesavers", people obsessed with doing things more quickly so that they can save time so that they can do other things more quickly. Of course, that means that they never have any time to relax, look around and simply enjoy life. Meanwhile, their children become more and more miserable and the colour is drained away from life. The story is entertaining and well-told, with humour and pathos.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I'm with you here. It didn't make my SF of the year list. And I didn't think Children of Time was all that great either. Okay, but no more.

The on thing better about Children of Time was that there was a forgone confrontation that was then turned on its head at the end. So the pacing of the writing at least had some direction.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10. Ulysses, by James Joyce

oh man I started reading this book on 27th December 39 days later ive finally finished it what a long strange trip its been the last 45 pages is basically a wall of text written as a stream on consciousness its about the hardest thing ive ever read including that monologue at the end of Atlas Shrugged but hey im glad I read this should you read it perhaps but only if you want a challenge and for the hottie sitting at the next table at the coffee shop to think youre smart

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2. Quiet: The Power Of Introverts In A World That Can’t Stop Talking, by Susan Cain
I'm not a huge fan of reading, however this title intrigues me. Any more info on this?

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8. Kitchen Confidential, by Anthony Bourdain

I’ve had this on my Kindle for quite a while, and actually started reading it last April. Anyway, I finally got back to and finished this book about Tony’s time as a chef, and the beginning’s of his interest in travel.
I have this, read about half of it on the plane on one of my last flights, couldn't stop reading it! I need to finish the other half now. If anyone is into food / has ever worked in the industry in any sorts, or just loved watching Bourdain on t.v. I would definitely recommend this!

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. The Tangled Land
2. The Test
3. Grace of Kings
4. Wall of Storms
5. Where there was Still Love
6. The Secret Commonwealth
7. Children of Ruins
8. Hunger

8. Hunger

An excellent book, worth of all its praise. Roxanne Gay recalls the way she changed from a good girl with a thin body to an emotional and physical wreck as a super obese adult. There's so much here that she touches on: ****, trauma, hating yourself, social messaging, struggle, airline travel, chairs. It never feels whiny or cheesy and yet manages to carefully lay out dozens of problems experienced when one is fat.

I've struggled with body image all my life and it took me by surprise how much I shared her own inner dialogue about food, appearance and weight. Given that she was gang raped and then (in her own words) destroyed herself I found it a disturbing comparison...

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the last 45 pages is basically a wall of text written as a stream on consciousness its about the hardest thing ive ever read including that monologue at the end of Atlas Shrugged

That last monologue in Ulysses is one of the most glorious, transcendent things written in English. Atlas Shrugged is possible the most leaden, dire excuse for a paperweight masquerading as a serious novel ever.
(IMHO of course)

Now try Finnegan's Wake... it makes Ulysses seem easy-going. ;)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That last monologue in Ulysses is one of the most glorious, transcendent things written in English. Atlas Shrugged is possible the most leaden, dire excuse for a paperweight masquerading as a serious novel ever.
(IMHO of course)

Now try Finnegan's Wake... it makes Ulysses seem easy-going. ;)

Im not saying I didn’t enjoy it, just that it was difficult to read, especially since I was up after midnight. I’m reading a lighter book now (Amy Tan) to give my brain a respite before delving into other giants of literature.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6.The Devils Star by Jo Nesbo

Harry Hole is an alcoholic detective with relationship problems and he is about to kicked off the force.Harry also believes that their is some seriously bent cops peddling imported black market weapons into Norway. Add a potential serial killer a rather large red herring a dash of Norwegian collaboration with the Nazi Reich. A splash of Iggy Pop songs which begin with C and you have a high voltage roller coaster of a ride.

Not as blood splattered as other Nesbo Hole novels but an interesting entertaining read.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
1. Frederick Forsyth - Day of the Jackal

A classic, very well paced cop-trails-assassin story. I'd held out on reading this for a rather long time for no specific reason, but I didn't want to put it down once I cracked it open.

2. Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead

Interesting to see commentary about Atlas Shrugged above which I largely agree with, Fountainhead was a lot more approachable and didn't have anywhere near the amount of long-windedness. I struggled with Atlas at times but enjoyed Fountainhead.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Frederick Forsyth - Day of the Jackal

A classic, very well paced cop-trails-assassin story. I'd held out on reading this for a rather long time for no specific reason, but I didn't want to put it down once I cracked it open.

2. Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead

Interesting to see commentary about Atlas Shrugged above which I largely agree with, Fountainhead was a lot more approachable and didn't have anywhere near the amount of long-windedness. I struggled with Atlas at times but enjoyed Fountainhead.
Pretty sure I read Jackal multiple times around the time it came out. Great thriller, far better than the shite Bruce Willis vehicle they turned it into.

I have avoided Rand like the plague all my life. No regrets.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
Pretty sure I read Jackal multiple times around the time it came out. Great thriller, far better than the shite Bruce Willis vehicle they turned it into.

I could hardly recognise the Willis film compared to the book. Barely anything other than the title remained, in my view.

I liked Fountainhead. But I don't really understand why so many hype up Atlas.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Odessa File was also a good read. Film was OK.

As for Rand....

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I enjoyed Odessa File too, and it also got read a few times. I didn't mind Dogs of War, but I sort of lost interest in FF after that.
Your right about both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads