• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2019 shoe revival challenge - the legend continues

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear gentlemen,

You've seen the pictures. You experienced the high, and felt the energy. And this year it's BACK. The styleforum shoe revival challenge!

Here are links to last's year event:

It was so popular that we were voted the best SF challenge of 2018!

I am organizing it again, and it will take place sometime in later September or October. Please do not buy any shoes YET. I'm re-configuring the rules. Plus this year, a panel of experts will be judging. I've also had sponsors reach out about opportunities.

Also, I would like to organize all entries to be sent to a charity that gives shoes to people in need (students, people re-joining the workforce etc). When Oprah calls for an interview, I want to be prepared.

Let me wrap my head around everything, and updates to follow.

I look forward to this year's challenge.

Sincerely,
SFC

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this.
I’m looking forward to seeing this year’s entries.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear gentlemen,

You've seen the pictures. You experienced the high, and felt the energy. And this year it's BACK. The styleforum shoe revival challenge!

Here are links to last's year event:

It was so popular that we were voted the best SF challenge of 2018!

I am organizing it again, and it will take place sometime in later September or October. Please do not buy any shoes YET. I'm re-configuring the rules. Plus this year, a panel of experts will be judging. I've also had sponsors reach out about opportunities.

Also, I would like to organize all entries to be sent to a charity that gives shoes to people in need (students, people re-joining the workforce etc). When Oprah calls for an interview, I want to be prepared.

Let me wrap my head around everything, and updates to follow.

I look forward to this year's challenge.

Sincerely,
SFC

A couple of things I’ve been thinking about:
If the finished shoes are to be donated to those re-entering the workforce, the resulting shoes should be expected to be somewhat subdued. Creative or playful combinations might be best for those who already have other options. Am I wrong?

How can we encourage creativity? Should there be a shoe “restoration” category and a shoe “reimagination” category?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This year's competition will comprise of a panel of 3 judges:

1. @davidVC - from http://vcleat.com/. David needs little introduction except to say he is an expert on anything related to vintage shoes and how to bring them back. He also likes doughnuts (or 'donuts' in US speak);
2. Jim McFarland - owner of McFarland shoe repair, and is an award winning cobbler. Is also the current president of the SSIA.
3. @suitforcourt - a vintage shoe enthusiast who is the organizer of this event. SFC prefers Canadian made vintage shoes and has weaned himself off of doughnuts.

The judges will be using the following criteria to grade every entry:

Work doneExplanation/notesMaximum points allotted
Colour of leather - restoring originalThis includes clean up of leather and removal of any buildups10
Colour of leather - changing or dyeing new colour, or burnishing5
Colour of leather - creative dyeing of new colour, or spectatorAny patterns or design - artistic value5
Leather - changing the leather texture
E.g. Turning calf into nubuck. Removing top layer of corrected grain.
Repair of tears/nicks/rips/cracks in leather (exterior of shoe)15
Removal of wrinkles, or rolls in leather10
Adding on items such as sole protector, toe/heel tapsSole protector = maximum 10 points
Flush heel or toe taps = maximum 15 points
See explanation and notes. Any other additions will be 5 points maximum.
Replacing or adding new eyelets5
Any work that required stitching (needle and thread) (exterior of shoe)Shoe tongue included in this category10
Sole edges - restoring original colour and condition5
Sole edges - changing to new colour10
Interior of shoe - any repairs including new insole, new heel guard, or repairs to those areasMaximum 5 points per repair item.
E.g. 5 points for new insoles properly put in place.
5 points for new heel guard/patch stitched in.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rules of the challenge:
  1. Purchase shoes for $17.50 USD or less (taxes, shipping, and other online or credit card fees are excluded). Must have receipt (must be used but does not have to be vintage). The receipt must show the following: date of purchase, and price;
  2. Receipt must show date and time AFTER August 6, 2019 10:30am EST;
  3. All work must be done by yourself;
  4. Before and after photos must be taken - minimum 6 before and 6 after. More is fine. Less is not;
  5. Full explanation of steps taken, and work done. Points are allotted on that basis;
  6. Participants may enter more than one pair of shoes, BUT only one pair will be used for the competition. Make it clear which pair you are using for same;
  7. Contest ends September 6 at 12am EST. This longer time line is to encourage international participants who may have extended shipping times to receive shoes.
Entries page:

1. A separate entries page will be set up by end of August, 2019.

Prizes: (This section will be expanding)

1st place
a) $100 voucher for Ealdwine store:

2nd place
a) $75 voucher for Ealdwine store;

3rd place
a) $50 voucher for Ealdwine store;

Last edited:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vd0PpBI.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This year's competition will comprise of a panel of 3 judges:

1. @davidVC - from http://vcleat.com/. David needs little introduction except to say he is an expert on anything related to vintage shoes and how to bring them back. He also likes doughnuts (or 'donuts' in US speak);
2. Jim McFarland - owner of McFarland shoe repair, and is an award winning cobbler. Is also the current president of the SSIA.
3. @suitforcourt - a vintage shoe enthusiast who is the organizer of this event. SFC prefers Canadian made vintage shoes and has weaned himself off of doughnuts.

The judges will be using the following criterion to grade every entry:

Work doneExplanation/notesMaximum points allotted
Colour of leather - restoring originalThis includes clean up of leather and removal of any buildups10
Colour of leather - changing or dyeing new colour, or burnishing5
Colour of leather - creative dyeing of new colour, or spectatorAny patterns or design - artistic value5
Leather - changing the leather texture
E.g. Turning calf into nubuck. Removing top layer of corrected grain.
Repair of tears/nicks/rips/cracks in leather (exterior of shoe)15
Removal of wrinkles, or rolls in leather10
Adding on items such as sole protector, toe/heel tapsSole protector = maximum 10 points
Flush heel or toe taps = maximum 15 points
See explanation and notes. Any other additions will be 5 points maximum.
Replacing or adding new eyelets5
Any work that required stitching (needle and thread) (exterior of shoe)Shoe tongue included in this category10
Sole edges - restoring original colour and condition5
Sole edges - changing to new colour10
Interior of shoe - any repairs including new insole, new heel guard, or repairs to those areasMaximum 5 points per repair item.
E.g. 5 points for new insoles properly put in place.
5 points for new heel guard/patch stitched in.

I was not told there would be math. ;)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:lurk:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was not told there would be math. ;)

True. My bad. The math and panel of judges were set up to defeat the popularity contest.

I've played the role of judge when students (elementary, high school, and law school) have mock trials. I think this will be my most memorable and challenging position yet.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the shoes are being donated to those who need shoes for work, I’d like to make a suggestion for the scoring.
I think that part of the score should be for “suitability for wear in a work environment.”
I suggest that this be about 20-25 points or so. Otherwise it seems that navy and yellow spectators, with sueded sections, could do well in scoring, but might not be suitable as the main pair of work shoes for someone in need.
That just my two cents — which is worth about three cents in Canada.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the shoes are being donated to those who need shoes for work, I’d like to make a suggestion for the scoring.
I think that part of the score should be for “suitability for wear in a work environment.”
I suggest that this be about 20-25 points or so. Otherwise it seems that navy and yellow spectators, with sueded sections, could do well in scoring, but might not be suitable as the main pair of work shoes for someone in need.
That just my two cents — which is worth about three cents in Canada.

All fair points. What about if the person is going to be a clown at a circus?

I have not finalized the donation to a program yet, as none seem interested or have capacity to accept our shoes. Maybe I will ask participants to sell the shoes, and then donate the money to the SF cause of Ronald McDonald House.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All fair points. What about if the person is going to be a clown at a circus?

I have not finalized the donation to a program yet, as none seem interested or have capacity to accept our shoes. Maybe I will ask participants to sell the shoes, and then donate the money to the SF cause of Ronald McDonald House.

Woohoo!
Thanks again for organizing this!

Just a thoght about what to do with the shoes: maybe one of the ebay re-sellers on here would take them and auction them? Then the money from the sales could go to a charity. Might make it easier if all the participants only have to ship to one person. And, since the funds are going to a good cause, the auctions could be promoted to raise more money.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woohoo!
Thanks again for organizing this!

Just a thoght about what to do with the shoes: maybe one of the ebay re-sellers on here would take them and auction them? Then the money from the sales could go to a charity. Might make it easier if all the participants only have to ship to one person. And, since the funds are going to a good cause, the auctions could be promoted to raise more money.

Thanks for this idea. I will see if anyone is willing to undertake such a task.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was not around for it then so am just now viewing last year's entries. Just amazing work!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads