• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2019 shoe revival challenge - submit entries HERE

Monkeyshines

Reaction score
Sorry everyone, the results will be up this week. Promise.

Jim McFarland actually completed the evaluations. I just need to chat with him tonight.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

I already have an idea for next year's competition:

1. Competition opens January 1, 2020 and closes June 1, 2020;
2. No monetary limit;
3. After submissions, first round of contest will be voting by members like the 2018 edition;
4. Final 10 will then be evaluated by a panel of judges for the top 3 finishes;
5. Criteria for evaluation will better reflect the realistic expectations of enthusiasts as opposed to amateur cobblers.

This will give everyone LOTS of time, and flexibility to work on the shoes as a side hobby. Plus I am integrating the evaluation system to bring members back in, and then leave finals to a panel of judges.

I can't make everyone happy, but I want everyone to enjoy and participate.

I like the above ideas, but I think a few categories would be nice and encourage participation at different levels of investment of time/money. Maybe a "cobbler's corner"; "turd polisher"; and "frame-on restoration" categories, for people who really go the extra mile to re-craft; people who turn a Georgio Brutini into an...Aldo(?!); and people who just generally get the best aesthetic change.

Also just want to go on record saying that I haven't given up on my after-the-buzzer 2019 project shoes - I have a set of vintage leather heel stacks that I've soaked and flattened, and that I now need to glue and press together and skive out to replace the rubber heels I removed.

Monkeyshines

Reaction score
Ok gentlemen, thank you again to the 9 participants for the work and enthusiasm. Jim, @davidVC and I had a lot of fun with the submissions.

The top 3 finishers are:

1. @florent ;
2. @hbk320 ; and
3. @mreams99 .

I will contact winners with their prizes. Thanks again.

The 2020 competition is coming quickly. I anticipate opening January 2020, and closing it June 2020. The rules will be more flexible, and grading system will be geared towards enthusiasts as opposed to amateur cobblers.

Looking forward to the 3rd edition of the shoe revival challenge. Until then - keep on shoeing.

Congrats to the winners!

florent

Reaction score
I'm honored to have been nominated as winner, congrats to every participants and once again a big thanks to @suitforcourt. I'm looking forward next year challenge!

I like the above ideas, but I think a few categories would be nice and encourage participation at different levels of investment of time/money. Maybe a "cobbler's corner"; "turd polisher"; and "frame-on restoration" categories, for people who really go the extra mile to re-craft; people who turn a Georgio Brutini into an...Aldo(?!); and people who just generally get the best aesthetic change.
I think that's a great idea!

DapperAndy

Reaction score
Congratulations to the winners and well done to all the participants! Bravo for adding to the whole community’s knowledge base, inspirations, and aspirations!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, there is a facebook group called "North American Shoe Rebuilders."

For cobbler recognition week, there are daily prizes, including free recrafts from cobblers. Other prizes are Saphir shoe care products. Join the group, and throw in your hat for a chance to win a prize!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads