• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been a member of SF for a number of years now. My one particular interest is vintage shoes. Thanks to @davidVC and @smfdoc for leading the vintage shoe thread.

For the thread's 2nd anniversary, I am proposing a shoe revival challenge. So pull out your brushes, cloths, conditioners, and warm up your buffing arms.

Rules of the challenge:

1. Purchase shoes for $15 USD or less (taxes and shipping excluded). Must have receipt (must be used but does not have to be vintage);
  2. Work must be done by yourself;
  3. This rule has been removed as of July 16, 2018;
  4. Before and after photos must be taken;
  5. Participants may enter more than one pair of shoes, BUT only one pair will be used for the competition. Make it clear which pair you are using for same;
  6. Contest ends August 24 at 12am EST.
Judging

Anyone can vote! Pick up to 3 choices by September 2, 12am EST.

I will tally votes at that time, and announce voters' top 3 choices.

Updates

Update on July 17, 2018 - SF management is offering a prize to the winner! $100 worth of Saphir products, and chance to write an article for SF journal on the restoration process.

Update on July 19, 2018 - This is not a rule, and merely a suggestion. Once competition is complete, and the masterpiece you produced is not your size, consider the following:

a) Swapping with fellow SF members;
b) Donating to a good cause where shoes are given to people who need dress shoes/clothes to turn things around:
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/where-can-i-donate-business-suits-i-dont-need-525594

Good luck, brothers. And please enjoy this experience!

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will, of course, participate in the fun with an entry and by voting. I already found two candidate projects for the challenge on Ebay. I love wingtips, so I searched “wingtip dress.” Then I filtered for pre-owned and sorted by lowest price first to find the ones that would qualify for $15 or less, not including shipping and tax. One was $5.95 and the other accepted my offer of $8. For me, this was easier than driving to 8 thrift stores. Good luck everyone and have fun.

5EA25C07-1899-481A-9546-E4411A3A857F.jpeg
FB7CD04D-C9AF-49DA-8550-9E1A56E37E5C.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, here is my official entry to the challenge. A pair of vintage V-cleat Nunn Bush shoes obtained from Ebay for $8, not including shipping. Materials used for the restoration were:

Safir Renomat
Bick 4
Water reshaping for the vamp and toe curl
Venetian shoe cream
Allen Edmonds chili shoe polish in the tube.
Allen Edmonds dark brown shoe cream in the jar.
Allen Edmonds black edge dressing.
Collonil shoe cream, neutral
Neutral paste wax.

Photos will start with the receipt, original pictures, renomat and final look.

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 8.45.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 3.51.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 3.50.42 PM.png
IMG_3766.JPG
IMG_3767.JPG
IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, here is my official entry to the challenge. A pair of vintage V-cleat Nunn Bush shoes obtained from Ebay for $8, not including shipping. Materials used for the restoration were:

Safir Renomat
Bick 4
Water reshaping for the vamp and toe curl
Venetian shoe cream
Allen Edmonds chili shoe polish in the tube.
Allen Edmonds dark brown shoe cream in the jar.
Allen Edmonds chili black edge dressing.
Collonil shoe cream, neutral
Neutral paste wax.

Photos will start with the receipt, original pictures, renomat and final look.

View attachment 1004846 View attachment 1004848 View attachment 1004849 View attachment 1004850 View attachment 1004851 View attachment 1004852
I like that you kept the patina; I was looking at them wondering about a full strip and dye job.

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look great @smfdoc -- a very respectable first entry, although I would like to see you fit into them (rule 3)! ;)

I have some 11C vintage LWB from a manufacturer I have not previously heard of for $14.95 from the bay. I will have to see if I can squeeze into them or not. When I open them up i am guessing my wife is really going to say WTF! :hide:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those look great @smfdoc -- a very respectable first entry, although I would like to see you fit into them (rule 3)! ;)

I have some 11C vintage LWB from a manufacturer I have not previously heard of for $14.95 from the bay. I will have to see if I can squeeze into them or not. When I open them up i am guessing my wife is really going to say WTF! :hide:

Thanks! But I would point out that rule #3 says worn by “someone” and I will eventually find them. It’s hard enough to find any shoes in my size, much less a pair under $15 that needs work.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I am... so into this. My apartment is too small for a large shoe collection, but I wonder if I could make a viable hobby out of refurbishing and then donating shoes. The advantage there is that the shoes would not have to fit me, so my selection would be virtually unlimited.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe these $14 beauties
Screenshot_20180715-112648_Chrome.jpg
will be the project shoe. The description is awful and it doesnt match the pictures lol. If these are CG leather, which I am assuming with the seller notes, I will try a complete strip. They should at least fit me to a reasonable level.
Screenshot_20180715-112500_Chrome.jpg

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was potentially going after a second or different pair - shell cordovan Royal Imperial PTBs that looked pretty rough but good for experimentation. It had no sizing but based on measurements seemed like a possibility. I put in my max bid of $15 near the end -- and someone else appeared to have a max $15 in too and beat me out. Are we bidding each other up on rough shoes in an effort to keep it under $15? :box:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OMG, the 2018 Revival Challenge made the front page! Come one, come all.

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 10.45.49 AM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads