• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2018 50 Book Challenge

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's interesting how divisive Hemingway is, I absolutely loved Fiesta (the sun also rises), definitely one of his best books in my opinion.

Same here. The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms and the short stories are all masterpieces. Some of my all time favourites. More questionable are For Whom The Bell Tolls, Old Man and the Sea, To Have and Have Not etc.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Same here. The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms and the short stories are all masterpieces. Some of my all time favourites. More questionable are For Whom The Bell Tolls, Old Man and the Sea, To Have and Have Not etc.

Liked.

Haven't read the others, but will read a Farewell to Arms as it's one of the 1001.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dug OMATS

Didn't really get into A Farewell to Arms.

Haven't read any others. I think I tried to read For Whom the Bell Tolls once, though?

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
School put me off a lot of good literature too. Luckily never was force-fed Hemingway so could discover him on my own.

Farewell to Arms requires slower reading in my view. And the Sun Also Rises is in many ways more immediate and easier to understand. I found For Whom the Bell Tolls brilliant in parts but weak as a whole and overlong. I have basically read everything Hemingway ever wrote. I was a big fan when I was young.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

School put me off a lot of good literature too. Luckily never was force-fed Hemingway so could discover him on my own.

Same here...I think. Not sure if school ruined Dickens for me, or if Dickens ruined Dickens because he sucked.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Farewell to Arms requires slower reading in my view. And the Sun Also Rises is in many ways more immediate and easier to understand. I found For Whom the Bell Tolls brilliant in parts but weak as a whole and overlong. I have basically read everything Hemingway ever wrote. I was a big fan when I was young.

I liked For Whom the Bell Tolls and the Old Man and the Sea.

IMO The Sun also Rises is vacuous in comparison.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Not all Dickens sucks. The two I've read so far A Christmas Carol and A Tale of Two Cities were pretty good. I've avoided the others so far because they are long. The only long I like is my trunk.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same here...I think. Not sure if school ruined Dickens for me, or if Dickens ruined Dickens because he sucked.

I've read all of his novels. Some definitely sucked (e.g. Oliver Twist, Curiosity Shop, Dombey and Son, Barnaby Rudge) but I was pleasantly surprised by a few of the lesser-known ones such as Little Dorrit and Our Mutual Friend. I don't count Edwin Drood.

A key thing to remember is that Dickens published as a magazine serial, so his construction differed from our expectations of a novel. It's sometimes worth following that approach - putting the book down at the end of an instalment and picking it up after a break of a few days.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like Oliver Twist.

Couldn't stand Tale of Two Cities, though. David Copperfield ******** off too!

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like Oliver Twist.

Couldn't stand Tale of Two Cities, though. David Copperfield ******** off too!

I'm your mirror image there Matt.

I hated Oliver Twist because:

1. The overt racism in the description of Fagin was totally off-putting, even after making allowances for the times
2. The second half of the book dealing with the pursuit of Fagin was extremely tedious

And how can you knock a book with a line like "it's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done before, and a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known". Gold.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've read all of his novels. Some definitely sucked (e.g. Oliver Twist, Curiosity Shop, Dombey and Son, Barnaby Rudge) but I was pleasantly surprised by a few of the lesser-known ones such as Little Dorrit and Our Mutual Friend. I don't count Edwin Drood.

A key thing to remember is that Dickens published as a magazine serial, so his construction differed from our expectations of a novel. It's sometimes worth following that approach - putting the book down at the end of an instalment and picking it up after a break of a few days.

My Expectations of Dickens are no longer that Great.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
67. The 13 Clocks 1957 James Thurber

I probably wouldn't have read this if it wasn't on [COLOR=FF00AA]THE LIST[/COLOR].

It was whimsical, humorous, and great if you're in 5th grade.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm your mirror image there Matt.

I hated Oliver Twist because:

1. The overt racism in the description of Fagin was totally off-putting, even after making allowances for the times
2. The second half of the book dealing with the pursuit of Fagin was extremely tedious

And how can you knock a book with a line like "it's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done before, and a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known". Gold.

Probably because I couldn't past the first 10 pages without dying.

I'm pretty resilient, but TOTC tests me.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
68. Platero and I 1957 Juan Ramon Jimenez

I also wouldn't have read this if it hadn't been on [COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA]THE LIST.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

It's about a guy who talks to a donkey in Spain. I'm not sure if the donkey exists, or if he's like Jimmy Stewart's Harvey.

But the book was poignant and insightful.

A good read, but I'd say at the 7th- 9th grade level.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads