• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

FENWAY

Reaction score
Sox were a fun team to watch this year. Thanks to NYY's Brian Cashman for the additional motivation, not that they needed it. Damage done!
red_sox_win_2018_world_series_boston_champs.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

One of the best baseball docs that I have seen in a while.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say let’s go Astros but after the Osuna/SI reporter thing I find it hard to root for them.
Agree 100%. Very creepy (Osuna originally of course and Taubman the other night).
So, given all that, go Dodg...I mean, go Nationals!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Astros came out and apologized right away and disciplined Taubman I could say the Astros aren’t complete scumbags. I find it hard to support the home town team right now.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the Astros came out and apologized right away and disciplined Taubman I could say the Astros aren’t complete scumbags. I find it hard to support the home town team right now.
1. Well, the Astros signed the jerk in the first place.
2. Then, they posted this the other day:

"The story posted by Sports Illustrated is misleading and completely irresponsible,” their An Astros player was being asked questions about a difficult outing. Our executive was supporting the player during a difficult time. His comments had everything to do about the game situation that just occurred and nothing else — they were also not directed toward any specific reporters. We are extremely disappointed in Sports Illustrated’s attempt to fabricate a story where one does not exist.”
3. Then, apparently, Taubman was actually targeting specific reporters he knew to be present.
4. And, Houston has still not actually admitted any wrongdoi...oh wait, isn't it 3 strikes and you're out?

It's a very bad look for HOU.
Also down 2-10 in the 7th and 0-2 going to WAS...not a great look either.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, terrible look trading for a scumbag PoS, having a FO exec try to troll a female reporter, and the team try to cover it up when even the local Houston newspaper said the guy was out of line...

You can’t keep playing with fire and not get burned.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Giradi hired by the Phillies.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't normally like watching baseball but the 7th inning last night was very watchable.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't normally like watching baseball but the 7th inning last night was very watchable.
Indeed. Last night was fun.
I am Italian, so soccer (and basketball) is my sport (played and will watch any level, any time, am passionate about Inter Milan).
Otoh I never played baseball, never watch it on TV, have been to 1 game live in my entire life (at Dodger Stadium, was beautiful), do not really understand the game and yet...for some weird reason playoff and esp WS baseball really intrigues me. I even follow the stories like the HOU/Osuna one above. I have no idea why, but I cannot look away from WS baseball and I do find it very enjoyable. Boh....

(I do not enjoy the tv commentators very much, though.)

brokencycle

Reaction score
Indeed. Last night was fun.
I am Italian, so soccer (and basketball) is my sport (played and will watch any level, any time, am passionate about Inter Milan).
Otoh I never played baseball, never watch it on TV, have been to 1 game live in my entire life (at Dodger Stadium, was beautiful), do not really understand the game and yet...for some weird reason playoff and esp WS baseball really intrigues me. I even follow the stories like the HOU/Osuna one above. I have no idea why, but I cannot look away from WS baseball and I do find it very enjoyable. Boh....

(I do not enjoy the tv commentators very much, though.)

The national commentating is awful as a rule.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The national commentating is awful as a rule.
It sure seems so.
Even the most fervent club fan Serie A commentators are usually much more calm and informative; and the national team commentators are always very eloquent, often restrained, very focused on the developing game itself. Of course they are enthusiastic, but not excessively outrageous about it. I assume other countries have equally excellent commentators.

Here the baseball (football may be worse) TV people now (Joe Buck et al) sound so invasive, egomaniacal, annoying, grating. Very self-referential. It bothers me to listen, and in my limited experience (and so I do not come off as some eurocentric jerk) they are not nearly as good as Vin Scully was. That guy was fantastic, and was really a pleasure to listen to.

(Also, my brother dated VS daughter for a short time, many years ago in college, and said that Vin Scully was one of the nicest, most respectful, "cool" people he had ever met.)

brokencycle

Reaction score
It sure seems so.
Even the most fervent club fan Serie A commentators are usually much more calm and informative; and the national team commentators are always very eloquent, often restrained, very focused on the developing game itself. Of course they are enthusiastic, but not excessively outrageous about it. I assume other countries have equally excellent commentators.

Here the baseball (football may be worse) TV people now (Joe Buck et al) sound so invasive, egomaniacal, annoying, grating. Very self-referential. It bothers me to listen, and in my limited experience (and so I do not come off as some eurocentric jerk) they are not nearly as good as Vin Scully was. That guy was fantastic, and was really a pleasure to listen to.

(Also, my brother dated VS daughter for a short time, many years ago in college, and said that Vin Scully was one of the nicest, most respectful, "cool" people he had ever met.)
Joe Buck, and others, announce football too. So yes, equally bad in football.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joe Buck, and others, announce football too. So yes, equally bad in football.
What is astounding to me is that these people have salaries of +/- US$1-$6 Million/year, and aren't so compelling or interesting to listen to at all. That is really crazy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads