• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see another frustrating Phils season on the horizon, where they can't score 2 ******* runs to win a game where starting pitching held the other team to 1.

I feel your pain.

Signed,

Giants starting pitchers

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see another frustrating Phils season on the horizon, where they can't score 2 ******* runs to win a game where starting pitching held the other team to 1.

Dude, Erik Bedard was eating their lunch on opening day. The Phils are like the Twins except with pitching.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jones homers in his first game back. Why retire now, he needs under 50 for 500 HRs I'd stay to make sure I'd get in to Cooperstown. Now here come the asshat Braves fans who will say he's getting in anyway....yeah I know buy why not go in with 500 HRs. And yes, it still means something.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neftali Feliz looked solid in his first major league start. Really like that guy and have high hopes for him.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jones homers in his first game back. Why retire now, he needs under 50 for 500 HRs I'd stay to make sure I'd get in to Cooperstown. Now here come the asshat Braves fans who will say he's getting in anyway....yeah I know buy why not go in with 500 HRs. And yes, it still means something.

He's getting in anyway.

Seriously, though, I don't think he can take much more. I think he hurts a lot more than people realize, which is saying something given all the time he spends on the DL. Also, you're overestimating his ability to rack up homers. He's at 455 right now, and he hasn't hit more than 20 since he won the batting title in '08, when he hit 22. The last few years have been 18, 10, 18, meaning he'll probably need three more years to make 500, and that's an eternity for an almost-40 third baseman with bad feet and knees that have been surgically repaired multiple times.

If his HOF credentials were iffy, it would be one thing, but his resume is more than strong enough to compensate for any perceived weakness in his HR count.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He's getting in anyway.
Seriously, though, I don't think he can take much more. I think he hurts a lot more than people realize, which is saying something given all the time he spends on the DL. Also, you're overestimating his ability to rack up homers. He's at 455 right now, and he hasn't hit more than 20 since he won the batting title in '08, when he hit 22. The last few years have been 18, 10, 18, meaning he'll probably need three more years to make 500, and that's an eternity for an almost-40 third baseman with bad feet and knees that have been surgically repaired multiple times.
If his HOF credentials were iffy, it would be one thing, but his resume is more than strong enough to compensate for any perceived weakness in his HR count.

Chipper Jones, report to the AL and hit that DH position!!

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Chipper Jones, report to the AL and hit that DH position!!

People have been saying that for years, but I'm not sure that's the answer, especially as he's gotten older. He's making $14,000,000 this season, and that's after the hometown discount he gave the Braves last time he re-upped. Being a staunchly anti-DH, NL fan, I admit I don't know much about DH salaries, but that seems like it's awful high for his potential upside.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Verlander vs. Strasburg would be a great pitching match up. Also glad to see Boston sucks.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know it's early but cabrera's defense has been really good. Going to be a fun year if they can avoid injuries. Fister's injury scares me.

Losing that weight has made Cabrera into a new man. He is a very good 3rd baseman. We need Fister back really soon. It's amazing that none of our starting pitching has a win. Losing, yesterday, to the dreaded Sox hurts.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washington: First in war, first in peace, and first in the NL East!

The lack of offense is a bit of a problem, but it will come around. You can go far with a great starting rotation, which is what the Nationals appear to have.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Verlander vs. Strasburg would be a great pitching match up. Also glad to see Boston sucks.

the offense is wicked awesome though! (i'm also glad the yankees sucked early).

I decided to renew my MLB.TV subscription this year... the good thing is that the iPad/iPhone MLBatBat apps are free this year. I was always so ******* pissed that you had to pay for a "premium" app to watch the games and decided never ever to buy the apps on principle. But this year both are free and I have to admit the apps are ******* slick. the iPad app is awesome.

as long as you've got a good internet connection watching baseball on the iPhone/iPad and having all the stats available on the screen great.

Now if i have mundane tasks to do I'll just have the app playing a baseball game in the background.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

the offense is wicked awesome though! (i'm also glad the yankees sucked early).
I decided to renew my MLB.TV subscription this year... the good thing is that the iPad/iPhone MLBatBat apps are free this year. I was always so ******* pissed that you had to pay for a "premium" app to watch the games and decided never ever to buy the apps on principle. But this year both are free and I have to admit the apps are ******* slick. the iPad app is awesome.
as long as you've got a good internet connection watching baseball on the iPhone/iPad and having all the stats available on the screen great.
Now if i have mundane tasks to do I'll just have the app playing a baseball game in the background.

Would it be logical to assume you play fantasy baseball?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads