• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
BD - its ridiculous. There are these Little Havana apartments right outside and its all street parking. Seriously, find the article from ESPN. Sums it up perfectly. ******* Jeffrey Loria.

Steve - no way. They don't have enough depth and Pujols will be a disaster. To be honest, I think this season is going to be a tossup. Someone out of left field.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

BD - its ridiculous. There are these Little Havana apartments right outside and its all street parking. Seriously, find the article from ESPN. Sums it up perfectly. ******* Jeffrey Loria.
Steve - no way. They don't have enough depth and Pujols will be a disaster. To be honest, I think this season is going to be a tossup. Someone out of left field.

You must be a Dodger Fan. :)

For hitters they have tremendous depth. In fact, there's a log jam as to who to put where.

Pujols will be a machine as always.

Pitching 1-4 is as good as anyone's. Bullpen only so-so. That's their achilles heel.

The only people who might beat them is Det. But Fielder is a much more cyclical hitter and much more likely to be a disaster than Pujols.

It's nice to count the Yankees out- again.

That leaves Tampa Bay- who would def be out of LF.

Or my beloved Giants, who have the best pitching in baseball. (Although I wish they'd send Barry Zito to Fresno where he belongs). But asking for twice in 50 years is awful much.

I don't see anyone else in the NL. Phillies- if Utley and Ryan Howard come back.

I don't really care though. I've been a HUGE baseball fan since I was 9.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, not a Dodger fan. Yankee fan. Unfortunately, I think this will be another season of them making the playoffs and falling short. Tampa's got the best team in that division.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

No, not a Dodger fan. Yankee fan. Unfortunately, I think this will be another season of them making the playoffs and falling short. Tampa's got the best team in that division.

I actually don't mind them. For some reason it irritates me that they keep throwing money at a problem which then doesn't fix it (e.g. the rotation). I have Tex, CC, Granderson, and A-Rod and Gardner in 2 leagues. Want them to do well.

IMO a much better team than Bos- whose rotation is awful.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bold prediction: It will be well into April before...
1) The Mariners lose a game.
B) Oakland wins a game.
III) A regular season game gets wrapped up in 9 innings.

Wow, Edina is so wrong and so early into the season too. Will Boston make the playoffs this year?

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boston, like LAA, has a solid all-around team except for a very questionable bullpen. Given how competitive the AL East is likely to be this year, I don't see them making it unless their relievers improve.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wow, Edina is so wrong and so early into the season too. Will Boston make the playoffs this year?

No. They may finish fourth in AL East.

Boston, like LAA, has a solid all-around team except for a very questionable bullpen.

And the last 3-4 batters in the lineup are bad, the pitching is questionable...

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Steve - no way. They don't have enough depth and Pujols will be a disaster.

Depth?

OF depth: Bobby Abreu on the bench and the #1 prospect in the nation a phone call away.
Corner Infield: Albert Pujols, Kendrys Morales (who mashed this spring; we'll see how he does), Trumbo (29 homers rookie year), Callaspo (hit .290) for 2 spots.
Middle Infield: Very serviceable back-up in Izturis and a stud prospect waiting in the wings.

Relief pitching is **** though.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cross posted for Dougie boy.

Bump.
Baltimore Orioles lose to community college team
Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter termed the event a "controlled scrimmage." The opponent used pitchers (including left-hander Tsuyoshi Wada) and a catcher from the Orioles roster. Major league stars such as J.J. Hardy, Adam Jones and Matt Wieters took only a couple of turns apiece at the plate and played about five innings. And the adversaries played for eight innings total, not a full regulation game.
With that context — perhaps you call it "spin" — understood, there's no other way to put this: A community college team beat the Baltimore Orioles on Tuesday.
State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota chapter, edged the O's 2-1 in a charity game at Ed Smith Stadium. The O's look like a charity case, all right. If this were European soccer, or if baseball did relegation, Nick Markakis might be carrying a book bag and a class schedule around Camden Yards this spring. And he didn't even play!

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Chipper Jones has announced that this season will be his last. First-ballot HOFer? I think so.
As an aside, Chipper stopped by my office many years ago to sign baseballs and take pictures. (He was a hunting buddy of a friend of my then-boss.) Like most professional athletes, he is much bigger in person than he appears on television.

Definite first-ballot HOFer.

I would love to meet Chipper - he's hands down my favorite player - but I've never had the chance.

Funny you mention how big he is. I've had the chance to sit on the third-base side right next to the dugout at a few Braves games, and I remember thinking he looked much bigger up close than he does on TV. It definitely happens with all athletes, but it seems to be particularly common with baseball players, probably because they're not all super built (anymore), and they play on such an enormous field.

Here you go. See pic 20 for everything that is wrong with this debacle:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...bar-pool_n_1402438.html#s838269&title=Go_Fish

Despite being pretty old-fashioned when it comes to my tastes in baseball, I think the Marlins re-branding is pretty cool, but that stadium seems like a mess. They took the whole "do it in Miami style" thing too far. Plus, the place is tiny.

I do think the retractable roof was a great idea, though. It should be worth the extra cost in prevented rain delays alone, and hopefully they'll use it to help mitigate the hellish Miami heat.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've met Chipper before. Really nice guy. He's only like 6'3-4. Its not as if you're meeting Dikembe Mutumbo

Despite being pretty old-fashioned when it comes to my tastes in baseball, I think the Marlins re-branding is pretty cool, but that stadium seems like a mess. They took the whole "do it in Miami style" thing too far. Plus, the place is tiny.
I do think the retractable roof was a great idea, though. It should be worth the extra cost in prevented rain delays alone, and hopefully they'll use it to help mitigate the hellish Miami heat.

The new uni's are an improvement, obviously, but the stadium is a disaster. And when Loria sells out, and he will (he's done it before), the taxpayers will get stuck with the tab.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with the stadium, but why does the entire fence/padding/outfield wall look like green screen material? Looks unfinished.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jays and indians in the friggin 16th, breaking an opening-day record. hang on toronto :slayer:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads