2017 MLB Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

BD - its ridiculous. There are these Little Havana apartments right outside and its all street parking. Seriously, find the article from ESPN. Sums it up perfectly. Fucking Jeffrey Loria.

Steve - no way. They don't have enough depth and Pujols will be a disaster. To be honest, I think this season is going to be a tossup. Someone out of left field.

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

You must be a Dodger Fan. :)

For hitters they have tremendous depth. In fact, there's a log jam as to who to put where.

Pujols will be a machine as always.

Pitching 1-4 is as good as anyone's. Bullpen only so-so. That's their achilles heel.

The only people who might beat them is Det. But Fielder is a much more cyclical hitter and much more likely to be a disaster than Pujols.

It's nice to count the Yankees out- again.

That leaves Tampa Bay- who would def be out of LF.

Or my beloved Giants, who have the best pitching in baseball. (Although I wish they'd send Barry Zito to Fresno where he belongs). But asking for twice in 50 years is awful much.

I don't see anyone else in the NL. Phillies- if Utley and Ryan Howard come back.

I don't really care though. I've been a HUGE baseball fan since I was 9.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

No, not a Dodger fan. Yankee fan. Unfortunately, I think this will be another season of them making the playoffs and falling short. Tampa's got the best team in that division.

4. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I actually don't mind them. For some reason it irritates me that they keep throwing money at a problem which then doesn't fix it (e.g. the rotation). I have Tex, CC, Granderson, and A-Rod and Gardner in 2 leagues. Want them to do well.

IMO a much better team than Bos- whose rotation is awful.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Quick prediction - Toronto will be WAY better than anyone expects.

6. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Wow, Edina is so wrong and so early into the season too. Will Boston make the playoffs this year?

7. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

Boston, like LAA, has a solid all-around team except for a very questionable bullpen. Given how competitive the AL East is likely to be this year, I don't see them making it unless their relievers improve.

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

No. They may finish fourth in AL East.

And the last 3-4 batters in the lineup are bad, the pitching is questionable...

9. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Depth?

OF depth: Bobby Abreu on the bench and the #1 prospect in the nation a phone call away.
    Corner Infield: Albert Pujols, Kendrys Morales (who mashed this spring; we'll see how he does), Trumbo (29 homers rookie year), Callaspo (hit .290) for 2 spots.
    Middle Infield: Very serviceable back-up in Izturis and a stud prospect waiting in the wings.

Relief pitching is shit though.

10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Cross posted for Dougie boy.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

12. MrG

MrG Senior member

Definite first-ballot HOFer.

I would love to meet Chipper - he's hands down my favorite player - but I've never had the chance.

Funny you mention how big he is. I've had the chance to sit on the third-base side right next to the dugout at a few Braves games, and I remember thinking he looked much bigger up close than he does on TV. It definitely happens with all athletes, but it seems to be particularly common with baseball players, probably because they're not all super built (anymore), and they play on such an enormous field.

Despite being pretty old-fashioned when it comes to my tastes in baseball, I think the Marlins re-branding is pretty cool, but that stadium seems like a mess. They took the whole "do it in Miami style" thing too far. Plus, the place is tiny.

I do think the retractable roof was a great idea, though. It should be worth the extra cost in prevented rain delays alone, and hopefully they'll use it to help mitigate the hellish Miami heat.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I've met Chipper before. Really nice guy. He's only like 6'3-4. Its not as if you're meeting Dikembe Mutumbo

The new uni's are an improvement, obviously, but the stadium is a disaster. And when Loria sells out, and he will (he's done it before), the taxpayers will get stuck with the tab.

14. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

I have no problem with the stadium, but why does the entire fence/padding/outfield wall look like green screen material? Looks unfinished.

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

jays and indians in the friggin 16th, breaking an opening-day record. hang on toronto :slayer:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012