2017 MLB Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Most Red Sox fans are just a bunch of transplant yuppies who are now "die hard" sox fans after watching three games. That's why NYY fans don't care. Oh, that and the fact that they've dominated them from the beginning of time. The other fans have the worst inferiority complex in all of pro sports.

It's not a very threatening fanbase.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

In 2008 I was at Yankee Stadium, final series there. I was with my brother and for shits n giggles wore a red sox shirt, IIRC. It was some RS paraphernalia.

I went to piss and got a couple folks who did a double take and shake their head. Then I walked through the stands. Got a couple people ribbing me, which grew into a few lighthearted boos and taunt to entire section booing me, not in a friendly way, to people throwing shit at me, to at the end one guy who saw me goes: "Hey Red Sox! Does your dad, uh...uh... FUCKIN' FAGGOT!"

That was awesome.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

there you go again with the peachy positive-y attitude!

if anything the yankee fanbase is the very prototype of "transplant fan who don't really follow the team, but like wearing the hat/t-shirt" kind of fan. or worst... the "i'm a yankee fan because my dad was a yankee fan!" (only the dad is from california and only cheered on the yankees because he was a bandwagon fan from the 1970's) and the family has never even been in a 500mile radius of the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area.

from what I noticed watching the redsox play in Oakland/LA/San Francisco/NY/seattle is that the redsox fans I interacted with actually had some roots in the New England area (weather they went to school there/came from the area/ or worked for a long period of time.

lord barrington can be so saccharine that he educes tooth aches :)

4. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Or they just ran into a buzzsaw named the Baltimore Orioles!!!

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the orioles played great.

if anything this is the year the sports gods decided to have all the favored "super teams" lose with gluttonous amounts of Poetic Justice.

redsox don't even make the playoffs, lose in the most vintage "pre curse" way possible.

phillies halladay loses a pitching duel... by one run total scored by both teams.

yankees break out all their high priced talent - the most expensive Arod/Tex/Jeter/CC all have a hand in the loss.

6. Patrick James

Patrick James Senior member

This has been some of the most interesting baseball dialogue I've read in a while...

7. Patrick James

Patrick James Senior member

Cruz crrrrrrrrrrrrushed that ball. Sick game.

8. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Rangers grand slam wins it in extra innings. I was driving in the car when it happened. Nearly ended up in the ditch. At least, we were in the game till the last. Great job by Scherzer. Now, the game comes to us.

9. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Cardinals FTW!!!!!!!

10. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Ugh. That was awful! Now I'm going to have to listen to all the Cardinal fans crowing about this.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

11. Prada_Ferragamo

You are from St. Louis, and yet you are not a Cardinals' fan? :confused:

12. L'Incandescent

I live in St. Louis, but I grew up in Wisconsin. I've tried being a homer in the various places I've lived, but I just can't do it. I'm still loyal to the Wisconsin teams. (Plus, I still hold a grudge from the 1982 World Series, which the Brewers were SO close to winning!)

13. Prada_Ferragamo

I see. You must be torn about this series then. Where do you live in St. Louis, if you don't mind me asking. I hang out with my friends at CWE once awhile if you want to come out.

14. L'Incandescent

I generally cheer for the Cardinals when their interests don't conflict with the Brewers'. (That is, when the Brewers are nowhere near contending for first place--i.e., most years.) When they're in direct competition, though, I can't help but cheer for the Brewers. (I also have some residual affection for the Pirates, having lived in Pennsylvania for a while.)

I live in the same part of St. Louis that you list as your location.

15. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

the most annoying part is the pitching has been very good, minus the meatball Perry threw. I was at the lions game last night, but my dad told me perry threw the exact same pitch in the exact same spot twice. first, cruz mashed it foul. second time, GONE.

bottom line is though that the bats have gone cold. way cold. if you look at both games, the tigers needed one hit each game to swing the momentum. oh well. those are the breaks.

Game 3 is tonight. i'm not sure i can my body can handle it. i was out til 3am after the lions game.