• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you know we're in the same boat (except my Sawx ******* collapsed in the most delating/embarrassing way). I was born in Boston and grew up in new england and now live and work in NYC. I love brooklyn, manhattan and all the boroughs (even Staten Island!). And I've even seen the redsox play more in yankee stadium than in Fenway. The weird thing about hating the yankees is that I'll be sitting next to the most boorish of yankee fans in yankee stadium, but more often than naught we'll be friendly and told a bunch of stories to eachother by the end of the game.
If anything I think yankee fans hate mets fans and are more inclined to actual acts of violence against mets fans compared to Red Sox fans or fellow yankee fans (my favorite thing about watching yankee games in yankee stadium is the Yankee Fan on Yankee Fan crime).
honestly? I think yankee fans and redsox fans are the very definition of frienemies.

Most Red Sox fans are just a bunch of transplant yuppies who are now "die hard" sox fans after watching three games. That's why NYY fans don't care. Oh, that and the fact that they've dominated them from the beginning of time. The other fans have the worst inferiority complex in all of pro sports.

It's not a very threatening fanbase.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

you know we're in the same boat (except my Sawx ******* collapsed in the most delating/embarrassing way). I was born in Boston and grew up in new england and now live and work in NYC. I love brooklyn, manhattan and all the boroughs (even Staten Island!). And I've even seen the redsox play more in yankee stadium than in Fenway. The weird thing about hating the yankees is that I'll be sitting next to the most boorish of yankee fans in yankee stadium, but more often than naught we'll be friendly and told a bunch of stories to eachother by the end of the game.
If anything I think yankee fans hate mets fans and are more inclined to actual acts of violence against mets fans compared to Red Sox fans or fellow yankee fans (my favorite thing about watching yankee games in yankee stadium is the Yankee Fan on Yankee Fan crime).
honestly? I think yankee fans and redsox fans are the very definition of frienemies.

In 2008 I was at Yankee Stadium, final series there. I was with my brother and for ***** n giggles wore a red sox shirt, IIRC. It was some RS paraphernalia.

I went to piss and got a couple folks who did a double take and shake their head. Then I walked through the stands. Got a couple people ribbing me, which grew into a few lighthearted boos and taunt to entire section booing me, not in a friendly way, to people throwing **** at me, to at the end one guy who saw me goes: "Hey Red Sox! Does your dad, uh...uh... FUCKIN' ******!"

That was awesome.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most Red Sox fans are just a bunch of transplant yuppies who are now "die hard" sox fans after watching three games. That's why NYY fans don't care. Oh, that and the fact that they've dominated them from the beginning of time. The other fans have the worst inferiority complex in all of pro sports.
It's not a very threatening fanbase.

there you go again with the peachy positive-y attitude!

if anything the yankee fanbase is the very prototype of "transplant fan who don't really follow the team, but like wearing the hat/t-shirt" kind of fan. or worst... the "i'm a yankee fan because my dad was a yankee fan!" (only the dad is from california and only cheered on the yankees because he was a bandwagon fan from the 1970's) and the family has never even been in a 500mile radius of the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area.

from what I noticed watching the redsox play in Oakland/LA/San Francisco/NY/seattle is that the redsox fans I interacted with actually had some roots in the New England area (weather they went to school there/came from the area/ or worked for a long period of time.

lord barrington can be so saccharine that he educes tooth aches :)

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or they just ran into a buzzsaw named the Baltimore Orioles!!!

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or they just ran into a buzzsaw named the Baltimore Orioles!!!

the orioles played great.

if anything this is the year the sports gods decided to have all the favored "super teams" lose with gluttonous amounts of Poetic Justice.

redsox don't even make the playoffs, lose in the most vintage "pre curse" way possible.

phillies halladay loses a pitching duel... by one run total scored by both teams.

yankees break out all their high priced talent - the most expensive Arod/Tex/Jeter/CC all have a hand in the loss.

Patrick James

Reaction score
This has been some of the most interesting baseball dialogue I've read in a while...

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rangers grand slam wins it in extra innings. I was driving in the car when it happened. Nearly ended up in the ditch. At least, we were in the game till the last. Great job by Scherzer. Now, the game comes to us.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh. That was awful! Now I'm going to have to listen to all the Cardinal fans crowing about this.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live in St. Louis, but I grew up in Wisconsin. I've tried being a homer in the various places I've lived, but I just can't do it. I'm still loyal to the Wisconsin teams. (Plus, I still hold a grudge from the 1982 World Series, which the Brewers were SO close to winning!)

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. You must be torn about this series then. Where do you live in St. Louis, if you don't mind me asking. I hang out with my friends at CWE once awhile if you want to come out.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I generally cheer for the Cardinals when their interests don't conflict with the Brewers'. (That is, when the Brewers are nowhere near contending for first place--i.e., most years.) When they're in direct competition, though, I can't help but cheer for the Brewers. (I also have some residual affection for the Pirates, having lived in Pennsylvania for a while.)

I live in the same part of St. Louis that you list as your location.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rangers grand slam wins it in extra innings. I was driving in the car when it happened. Nearly ended up in the ditch. At least, we were in the game till the last. Great job by Scherzer. Now, the game comes to us.

the most annoying part is the pitching has been very good, minus the meatball Perry threw. I was at the lions game last night, but my dad told me perry threw the exact same pitch in the exact same spot twice. first, cruz mashed it foul. second time, GONE.

bottom line is though that the bats have gone cold. way cold. if you look at both games, the tigers needed one hit each game to swing the momentum. oh well. those are the breaks.

Game 3 is tonight. i'm not sure i can my body can handle it. i was out til 3am after the lions game.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads