2017 MLB Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

1. guster

guster Senior member

Good for the Oriole players to be excited, it was a big teivised game and they were excited.

But the Gregg/Ortiz incident was interesting. There was some brushbacking history with the teams. In this case, there was the inside pitching, the staring, etc and then Gregg came off the mound gesturing and yelling after Ortiz hit the ball (fly ball?). Gregg said he took exception to Ortiz watching his hit, or showboating. Maybe that is defending O's honor? More likely, it was a hot headed Gregg going after Ortiz who does that crap too often. Ortiz is supposed to be very popular amoung MLB players and maybe that is why he has not seen more brushbacks. The antics he pulls after hits would get a lot of other players brushbacks more than Ortiz seems to get. My take of the incident was that Gregg was brushing Ortiz back because of some history and Gregg is old school. And he started the fight coming off the mound. Neither one of them looked like they knew how to throw a punch.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

this is why I miss pedro martinez.... while guys like becket and lester can be a bit surly they won't really go after guys and bean the shit out of batters on purpose... it would be awesome to have guys like Bob Gibson putting the fear of god into batters in todays game.

verlander has got a little bit of surliness in him, but its more of his fastball being a little out of control (like kofax) than the "fuck you i'm going to bean you" that Gibson or Martinez had.

[​IMG]

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Fucking love me some postseason baseball.

Not sure who the sox think will be better than francona. He's not to blame for their collapse. Oh well that's what happens with clubs like that

4. dcg

dcg Senior member

^ Agree. A collapse like that isn't any one person's fault. The manager is the easy target though.

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Yep. The "you have to do something" mindset and this....sure is spmething

6. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

I figured heads would roll, starting with the manager but it isn't his fault and he's done a good job with the Sox. The team just collapsed, plain and simple.

Their fuckin' baby fans should be happy that someone got axed though, based on their constant moaning for the last month.

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

From what I've been reading, it looks like Francona didn't want to return for next season. I'll be interested to hear more about the clubhouse problems that people are talking about.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

9. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Verlander will pitch Monday night in Detroit, Game 3. That will be his only appearance in this series.

10. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

that was bullshit. MLB should not have started that game. I know someone who went. Sounds like MLB went off the "forecast" instead of common sense by looking at a radar. hurts both teams.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

12. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

eh. i think it's a wash. fister goes game 1 and 5. if burnett really takes the mound for game 4, i don't think that's an advantage at all.

13. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

however if CC goes tomorrow and 5, then yes, big advantage.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

15. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

If Sabathia pitches twice and Verlander only pitches Game 3, Detroit is fucked.