Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

2017 MLB Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Pretty entertaining, if seriously sloppy, Nats/Cubs close-out game last night.
    I was chilling on the couch and ended up watching the post-game talking heads program, which I almost never do. It's the one with some non-player moderator and Jimmy Rollins, Gary Sheffield, and Pedro Martinez. Boy howdy are those guys terrible, even by the low standards of these things. Pedro's entertaining just because he's Pedro and a big goofball, but he just spews random stuff and adds very little in the way of actual insights. Sheffield was a hell of a hitter but seems pretty dumb. Can't tell with Rollins, because he said nothing that wasn't a meaningless platitude.

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

A-Rod is great when he's on there. The worst is Ozzie Guillen, can't understand a word he's saying.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Agreed on both. I always liked Doug Glanville when espn or whoever would use him, although I think they usually use him for little in-game or pre-game set pieces.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Good Lord, Ron Darling going on and on and on about what a shame it is that the catcher isn't allowed to block the plate. "It's such an athletic play it's a shame they don't allow it!!" Yeah, if Contreras had done a roundhouse kick to the runner's face, that would have been an athletic play too. Doesn't mean it should be legal. Jiminy Crickets.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ha, was thinking the exact same thing. Darling also ignored the fact that part of the reason for the rule is so that the runner doesn’t have to go Pete Rose on Ray Fosse and snap that leg the catcher has extended across the plate.

6. venividivicibj

Dont even have to go that far back. Buster Posey was just like 3 years ago.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Good point. You (Ron Darling) can’t have it both ways. If you want to say they should let ‘em play like they did in Ty Cobb’s day and let God sort ‘em out that’s fine, but if you’re going to argue the catcher should be able to block the path to the plate before he has the ball you pretty much have to support letting runners blindside catchers at full steam while the catcher is focused on collecting the throw.

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Personally, I prefer it that way, and I wouldn't hold it against a catcher if he didn't block the plate if it was allowed.
    Though, I think they've taken it too far at second. Runners can't even try to break up double plays, and I've seen plays where the runner doesn't raise his leg or anything; however, the ump still calls interferce. MLB infielders are too good to not allow runners to do anything.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I don’t necessarily disagree, but I’ll bet if Darling’s broadcast partner hd asked if he was ok with rolling back the safety-driven rule changes and exposing the catcher (and the runner as well) to that increased injury risk you’d get at best an equivocating non-answer.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Chase Utley looks like he’s ready for somebody to stick a big fork in him.

11. venividivicibj

Don't talk about the Silver Fox

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

LOL. Bases loaded, two out, and you walk the opposing pitcher on four pitches ...

13. venividivicibj

Darvish was looking really threatening though...

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Maybe that's the pitcher's normal motion, but it looked like he was trying to aim it. He didn't even really follow through on a couple of those pitches.

But what would have been more embarrassing? That walk or a bunt single by a pitchers with the bases loaded?